• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

DIY equipment stand

Wardsweb

Renaissance man
I've done the flexy rack thing for years, so thought I would try something different. I started by gluing two pieces of 3/4" mdf together with some PL Premium polyurethane contruction adhesive and nailing together with my air nailer. Then I rounded the corners on my table sander and routed the edges.

stand1.jpg

I used my chop saw to cut about half the thread off of a threaded end of PVC. I then wrapped a piece of sandpaper around the thread and sanded it down just a bit. I then took the sandpaper and sanded the hole edges to round them to the contour of the threaded PVC where it transitions to flat.

stand5.jpg

I sealed the mdf with DEFT lacquer, because I had a gallon can sitting in the garage. Then semi-gloss black paint and final coat of black and grey splatter paint.

stand9.jpg

I hate you. :laughing:

Looks great Wards. :handgestures-thumbup: Did you get my PM? I had some questions on one of the stands you posted a while back in the recent DIY flexy thread.

BTW....Did you build the speakers in that last pic? Looks great if you did.

Wardsweb - you are clever, talented and creative.

:bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

I'm embarrassed at how slow I'm putting together my cabinet...

Great design, Wards!

Yesfan70 said:
I hate you. :laughing:

Looks great Wards. :handgestures-thumbup: Did you get my PM? I had some questions on one of the stands you posted a while back in the recent DIY flexy thread.

BTW....Did you build the speakers in that last pic? Looks great if you did.
First off yes, I did get your message and called the guy out in Arizona. He isn't into audio anymore and didn't remember the dimensions.

Also yes on the speakers, they are DIY veneered MDF.

Gheeez WW,
First cardboard speakers and now a rack made out of plumming supplies. I understand trying to save money, but at some point you should go ahead and invest some money in decent equipment. :happy-smileygiantred: :eek:bscene-buttred: :teasing-tease:

BTW, like several others have mentioned, everytime I look at your stuff I get really jealous. You Suck and I hate You!!!!

Yeah.........
You Suck and I hate You!!!!
But look at it this way: he gives us all something to shoot for when it comes to equipment & woodworking skills. Kinda like an electronics engineer & master woodworker all rolled into one person. Color me green with envy!

Orbison said:
Yeah.........
You Suck and I hate You!!!!
But look at it this way: he gives us all something to shoot for when it comes to equipment & woodworking skills. Kinda like an electronics engineer & master woodworker all rolled into one person. Color me green with envy!

No kidding. I wished I had his skills.

Appreciate the info Wards. Thanks.

pretty cool equipment rack!

I love building stuff.

here's a center channel stand I built with wood and PVC filled with sand.

5357486169_4cb5a20403.jpg

Wardsweb said:
Another option would be to use metal pipe and flanges. It would be sturdier, but more expensive.

Yeah. I went with this route because I was filling it with sand and it is pretty sturdy for the application. It is solid as built.

I will be making my front speaker stands shortly and they will be made of steel..

Back