• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Do you Roku?

For the life of me, I can't get the Onkyo to play nice with the Roku. I guess running another 12' HDMI cable through the wall to the Roku direct, plus connecting a toslink cable from the Roku to the Onkyo is my only option. :angry-banghead:

Rope

Towen7 said:
So you're getting video now connected directly to the TV?

Yes, and after registering the account with Roku, adding some third party software for Hulu and USB access, I then attempted to route the signal via Onkyo AUX1. I adjusted the Onkyo setup to HDMI "through", and it attempts to find the signal from the Roku, but fails with no signal on the front panel.

Rope

Have you tried different hdmi ports on the onkyo? With both my 606 and 885, I had a hell of a time finding combinations of ports+sources where everything worked, despite the fact that they're all theoretically identical. It's very annoying.

PaulyT said:
Have you tried different hdmi ports on the onkyo? With both my 606 and 885, I had a hell of a time finding combinations of ports+sources where everything worked, despite the fact that they're all theoretically identical. It's very annoying.

I have not, however, that is going to be my next drill this evening. I have 2 vacant HDMI ports, I'll try the next, next, and then resort to switching to HDMI ports that currently function with other components.

Rope

Towen7 said:
Any luck?

Sorry for the delay, I've been a slacker for the past few days as it relates to the Roku.

Yes! I did get the Onkyo to pass the Roku signal, even with REON processing, and it looks wonderful. Haven't had a lot of time to fart around, although, I hope to get around to that this afternoon.

Film at eleven.

Rope

Rope said:
Towen7 said:
Any luck?

Yes! I did get the Onkyo to pass the Roku signal, even with REON processing, and it looks wonderful.

That's great to hear, especially about the picture quality. I'm guessing that my less than impressive experience was due to having Reon off and/or my computer has mediocre video abilities. I may need a primer on using the Reon processing on my 885 once I get everything setup in a couple of weeks.

Towen7 said:
Rope said:
Towen7 said:
Any luck?

Yes! I did get the Onkyo to pass the Roku signal, even with REON processing, and it looks wonderful.

That's great to hear, especially about the picture quality. I'm guessing that my less than impressive experience was due to having Reon off and/or my computer has mediocre video abilities. I may need a primer on using the Reon processing on my 885 once I get everything setup in a couple of weeks.

Enter the Onkyo 885 setup menu, selection 1. Input/Output Assign, 1. Monitor Out, 2. Resolution (User Defined) - Through - 1080p - 1080i - 720p - 480p - 480i. Selection 6 Miscellanous, 2 Setup OSD, 1. Immediate Display On/Off set to On. That will invoke REON processing.

Rope

So did this Roku replace your Squeezebox? Or is one for music only and the other for video only?

Zing -

They overlap in a few areas (internet radio, for one) but you're correct. The Touch is generally for audio and Roku for video. The Roku has a USB port and should support music play back, although I don't know and haven't tried to play WMA lossless via a 1TB external drive.

Rope

Rope

Attachments

• PICT0261 (2).JPG
    PICT0261 (2).JPG
    1,019.6 KB · Views: 375
  • PICT0262 (2).JPG
    PICT0262 (2).JPG
    732.6 KB · Views: 375
  • PICT0264.JPG
    PICT0264.JPG
    867.8 KB · Views: 375
  • PICT0266 (2).JPG
    PICT0266 (2).JPG
    772.8 KB · Views: 375
  • PICT0268 (2).JPG
    PICT0268 (2).JPG
    839.1 KB · Views: 375
  • PICT0267.JPG
    PICT0267.JPG
    866.4 KB · Views: 375
Rope said:
Zing -

They overlap in a few areas (internet radio, for one) but you're correct. The Touch is generally for audio and Roku for video. The Roku has a USB port and should support music play back, although I don't know and haven't tried to play WMA lossless via a 1TB external drive.

Rope

When you do play your music back, via the Roku's USB, do you see album art and all the other music details (artist, song, album, etc.) like you do on your Touch?

Is there some sort of subscription fee for the Roku or is it just the price of the machine itself?

Yesfan70 said:
Rope said:
Zing -

Rope

When you do play your music back, via the Roku's USB, do you see album art and all the other music details (artist, song, album, etc.) like you do on your Touch?

Is there some sort of subscription fee for the Roku or is it just the price of the machine itself?

Still haven't attempted to play music tracks via the Roku USB port because I'm a slacker, and since the Touch does such an admirable job, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

No subscription fee with Roku, however, Amazon, UFC, Netflix, Hulu+ etc. that's another story.

Rope

Rope said:
Still haven't attempted to play music tracks via the Roku USB port because I'm a slacker, and since the Touch does such an admirable job, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

No subscription fee with Roku, however, Amazon, UFC, Netflix, Hulu+ etc. that's another story.

Rope

Totally understand about the Roku vs Squeezebox for music. It was more or less a curious question.

I can see Hulu (which I thought was free?), UFC, and Netflix requiring monthly fees, but Amazon? What for? It's free on your pnone/computer. :think:

Yesfan70 said:
Rope said:

Rope

Totally understand about the Roku vs Squeezebox for music. It was more or less a curious question.

I can see Hulu (which I thought was free?), UFC, and Netflix requiring monthly fees, but Amazon? What for? It's free on your pnone/computer. :think:

Video on Demand service.
Rob

Yesfan70 said:
Rope said:

Rope

Hulu Plus is $9.99 per month. Netfix is $9.95 per month, although if you currently have a disc subscription (BD or DVD) there's no additional fee for streaming, and you can stream from multiple Roku's if you have a multiple disc (one stream for each disc) subscription.

Amazon is pay per view, which depends on the movie, TV show you'd like to watch. You go to Amazon via computer, purchase the movies you'd like to view, fire up the Roku and watch.

I'm also curious about the Roku's ability to digest FLAC, WMA lossles, etc., via the USB port. I'll get to that this weekend and report.

Rope

Roku turned-on the Hulu+ streaming app today. I've only watched one program but it works well.

Back