• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Dual Subs? SVS Says Yes!

Zing

Retired Admin
Superstar
So I get this email tonight. It's an SVS newsletter containing an article written by Ed Mullen on the benefits of going with dual subs. Is he looking out for our enthusiast interests or is this another marketing ploy to spur sales? Hmmmm :think:

What do you guys think?

Maybe you've been reading about dual subwoofers on the A/V forums and wondering what all the fuss is about. At SVS, we're big fans of running dual subwoofers whenever possible, and they can be a great upgrade to any home theater or music system. Below are some of the benefits of running dual subwoofers in your system:

Two Small Subwoofers Can Fit Where One Large Subwoofer Can’t.
Many enthusiasts have their music and home theater systems located in mixed use living areas, where subwoofer performance must be balanced with décor and aesthetics. In situations like this, a single larger subwoofer might have too much visual impact in the room or might not even fit in the allocated areas, whereas two smaller subwoofers can offer similar performance, less visual impact, and can also fit into more locations in the room.

graphic_for_article.jpg

Optimal Sound Quality At More Listening Positions
Even with careful placement, a single subwoofer will not have an optimal frequency response at all listening positions in the room. In any given room location, a subwoofer has a unique 'modal pattern' (standing waves with peaks/nulls) and associated frequency response at the listening position. Listeners will often notice that moving even a few feet away from the 'sweet spot' will often result in notably worse bass sound quality. With properly located dual subwoofers, the respective modal patterns will overlap, which greatly increases the modal density in the room. The result is a smoother frequency response at more listening positions in the room, with less potential for obvious peaks/nulls in the frequency response. This also makes it easier for auto-set-up programs like Audyssey MultEQ to equalize the subwoofer channel.

Effortless Bass With Greater Headroom
A popular phrase with our Sales staff is "headroom has a quality all its own". Dual subwoofers will greatly increase the available system headroom, providing greater dynamic range, reduced output compression, lower distortion, and less potential for overdrive artifacts. If you like to listen at loud levels and crave a lot of slam, impact and pressure from action and sci-fi movies, then dual subwoofers are an excellent option, and will provide effortless bass on demanding passages.

Stereo Bass For Dedicated 2-Channel Systems
2-channel purists know that directional bass cues are important to imaging and preserving the solidity of the soundstage. Using dual subwoofers in a dedicated 2-channel system will preserve stereo bass cues, and prevent the soundstage from collapsing, particularly when small bookshelf monitors with limited bass extension are being used.

Harder To Localize
Even with a fairly deep speaker/subwoofer crossover frequency and the associated masking effects of the surround speakers, it's often possible to localize a single subwoofer in the room, particularly if it is not located on the front stage. In comparison, dual subwoofers are nearly impossible to localize. Once listeners experience this immersive bass which seems to emanate from everywhere in the room, they never want to go back to a single subwoofer set-up.

Recommended Placement Locations for Dual Subwoofers
Based on our own extensive testing, and research done by the professional audio community, we recommend the following placement options for dual subwoofer:
1.on the front stage in the corners
2.on the front stage at the 1/3 wall points (basically flanking the center channel near each main speaker)
3.at the mid-point of the front and back wall.
Option 3 is usually a non-starter due to the presence of the equipment rack and center channel, so the first two options are the most common. All rooms are different, so we recommend staying flexible and trying a few different locations, but the first two options have generally provided outstanding results for our customers and in our high-end installs.

Ed Mullen

Yeah, guess I'm a "2 channel purist." Too bad my subs aren't SVS. :laughing:

PaulyT said:
Yeah, guess I'm a "2 channel purist." Too bad my subs aren't SVS. :laughing:
I was doing my best to convert you. Perhaps if I had played some classical music where a plucked string from a harp vibrated your rib cage and induced a bowel movement you may be looking to upgrade by now.

I'll upgrade eventually... Most of the music I listen to most often (e.g. classical, jazz) doesn't have a lot of content way down there. If I were more into movies, yeah I'd want more.

I do still have a "spare" 10" SVS, my original starter sub, which I may play with hooking up in the HT just for LFE, if I can figure out where to put it. My room's even smaller than yours.

It's about the same width (mine's 12'), but not as deep, I don't think - it's 16'. Maybe it seems smaller because it's not open in the back...? And only 8' ceiling. Plus we've got windows, a fireplace, three big CD racks, and an ikea box shelf in there already, so there's very little floor space left for even the (relatively) small SVS.

Actually, they're about the same in terms of square footage. My room is 11 x 18. So that makes 198 sq ft for me and 192 for you. But as this article suggests, you are precisely the type of person who needs two smaller subs. So whip out that Hello Kitty credit card fo yours and visit svs.com :eek:bscene-buttred:

Zing said:
Is he looking out for our enthusiast interests or is this another marketing ploy to spur sales? Hmmmm :think:

What do you guys think?

Kinda off-topic. I stopped at Home Despot for some fertilizer on the way home tonight, hoping to find a decent alternative to Scott's ridiculous "4-step" program.
A competitor has now introduced a "5-step" program.

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:

To address the OP:

Y'all probably know the old marketing story.

Ad guy shows up at a meeting for a particular product and says "I can almost double your product sales with 3 words".

"Lather, rinse, repeat."

Mazer, do you still have both of those bad boys? I remember when you got them...wasn't there some sort of fuck up on SVS's part?

In a perfect world, 6 absolute top of the line subwoofers are the best option. You use two for pure stereo reproduction and four spread around the room to get the best dynamic and power response for LFE and bass redirection of the other surround speakers. If you have the physical space and money to buy 6 very large $2,500+ subs, that's the way to go.

That said, if you only have $1,500 to spend on subs, getting one killer $1,500 sub and placing it as ideally as possible is far better to buying two $750 subs and placing them in a stereo arrangement or throughout the room. Buying two $750 and putting them on top of each other in the most ideal location is also not as one $1,500 sub in that same location (in most cases).

His arguments about stereo subs is very interesting for serious classical or natural jazz enthusiasts who love loud, powerful, realistic performance on the best stereo recordings, is a good argument. But most users do not have the budget, space, or patience for that ideal setup, and even fewer actually listen to that kind of music.

I say, buy two or three or four of the absolutely largest top of the line SVS subs and do it right or else just get one.

Flint said:

I say, buy two or three or four of the absolutely largest top of the line SVS subs and do it right or else just get one.
Instead of trying to extrapolate your opinion from this as it relates to the choice of one or two subs, let me just ask point blank: you've got $4000 cash on hand. You can spend all $4K on two Ultras or you can spend $2K on just one and use the remaing money for something else. What do you choose?

It depends on the room. If the room is smaller than 3,500 ft^3, then one Ultra is fine. If the room is larger than, say, 4,500 ft^3, then getting two might be justified.

If the room is a small part of a larger open area which is bigger than 4,500 ft^3, then more research is needed.

Ultimately, one kick ass sub is the best and most simple solution for the vast majority of users.

For you, one Ultra directly behind your seat is likely the best choice.

Flint said:
:eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

How about I buy three Ultras (instead of three recliners) and just put cushions on them?

Zing said:
Flint said:
:eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

How about I buy three Ultras (instead of three recliners) and just put cushions on them?

How about a saddle instead of a cushion?

How about four Butt-Kickers?

wiring%20diagram%20-%204%20ButtKicker%20LFE's%20to%20BKA1000-4.jpg

Butt-Kickers are used as drummer thrones by drummers using electronic drums, kind've a physical feedback device.

I wonder if these SVS guys sell subs? If I sold subs, I'd tell everyone they need 10.

Rope

AndySTL said:
Mazer, do you still have both of those bad boys? I remember when you got them...wasn't there some sort of fuck up on SVS's part?

Only have one SVS. First one was shipped damaged from a fork life blade. SVS shipped the second sub, and didn't pick up the first for a few weeks. So I had the two for a short time.

INSANE :scared-eek:

Back