• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Flint Acoustics: Outdoor Coaxial System

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I am almost finished building my new small coaxial speakers intended for use in a protected outdoor area. The drivers are made from weatherproof materials (polypropylene, butyl rubber, etc.) and the cabinet is heavily sealed both inside and out, and the glue used is water-proof. I even made the grill cloth from window screen to keep bugs off the driver.

I will post a write-up as soon as I make measurements and spend some time listening to them. I am also planning to build a subwoofer to go with these, also designed for protected outdoor use. In my case they will be installed on my patio.

Cool. But if you could make them look like rocks or trees or fountains or small forest fauna, you'd improve your commercial viability.

Well, here it is!

Patio_Coax_15.jpg

Those purple speakers are my new 5.25" coaxial speakers intended for protected outdoor use. They are tuned to sound decent when installed up under an eave or against the roof of a patio (where I'll use them).

These are sealed enclosures (to keep more stuff out of the cabinet) and I installed a window screen grill cloth on them.

Here are some build photos:

Patio_Coax_01.jpg
Photo 1: Raw Coaxial Driver from Dayton Audio

Patio_Coax_01a.jpg
Photo 2: 1/2 inch MDF Panels which became the enclosures

Patio_Coax_02.jpg
Photo 3: Sides of enclosures being glued up using waterproof Tighbond wood glue

Patio_Coax_03.jpg
Photo 4: Rears of enclosures being glued on

Patio_Coax_04.jpg
Photo 5: Assembled enclosures being sealed

Continued...

Patio_Coax_05.jpg
Photo 6: Grill frames being sealed and primed

Patio_Coax_06.jpg
Photo 7: Cabinets being painted the final color

Patio_Coax_07.jpg
Photo 8: Assembled while auditioning

Patio_Coax_08.jpg
Photo 9: Grilled mounted on speakerPatio_Coax_09.jpg
Photo 10: Rear of enclosure

Continued...

Patio_Coax_10.jpg
Photo 11: Speaker being measured in a nearly full Anechoic environment

Patio_Coax_15.jpg
Photo 12: Speakers being auditioned in my front room.

These are a very basic enclosure style, sealed and stuffed with 60% acoustic material.

I chose to go with a electric/acoustic crossover with an effective slope of about 12dB/octave. Because the output response of the tweeter was very high below 4kHz, I relied on an 18dB/octave butterworth crossover which resulted in a 12dB/octave acoustic slope. The woofer got a simple 12dB/octave crossover with a impedance equalization circuit.
Patio_Target_Response_2018-11-14.jpg
Chart 1: Predicted amplitude and phase response with crossover, Blue = combined / Yellow = Woofer / Red = Tweeter

Once built, the actual performance as very close to the predicted performance:
Patio_Measured_Response_NoCab_2018-11-18.jpg
Chart 2: Measured amplitude response using crossover (no cabinet).

After assembly of the complete system in the enclosure, I was very pleased with what I was hearing. I chose to go with a diminished "presence" response with a dip in the 2kHz to 5kHz range on purpose in order to have a more pleasing sound outdoors where we tend to need to play the sound louder and the reflections off the hard walls tend to increase the perception of the presence range.

Here's the power response smoothed in accordance with standard marketing practices:
Patio_PowerResponse_2018-11-21 (3).jpg
Chart 3: Market Power Response

I could write a spec sheet claiming to have a range of 90Hz to 20kHz, +/-3dB. I could claim an even higher response limit, but we cannot hear above 20kHz, so I wouldn't bother.

Here's the anechoic response:
Patio_Anechoic_OffAxis2018-11-21.jpg
Chart 4: Anechoic Response at 1W/1M: Black = 0 Deg / Red = 15 Deg / Brown = 30 Deg / Orange = 45 Deg / Yellow = 60 Deg

In my listening tests, they sound a bit dull indoors, which was expected. They certainly put out plenty of volume and the bass is surprisingly plentiful and very clean. According to the measurements, the bass limit (-10dB point) is about 62Hz, so they should blend well to the subwoofer I am building next.

Outdoors, however, they really shine. In fact, while measuring the speaker up on the 9ft high stand on my driveway I put on a song to see how they sounded outside, and I was blown away. I ended up listening to about a dozen songs that way before I got back to work on measuring the speaker. I even put a video of that on all my social media platforms.

I look forward to mounting these under the roof of my patio and enjoying them. I may go through that process before I build the subwoofer so I can enjoy them immediately.

If I were to sell just these speakers as a stereo pair, I would need to charge about $300 for them, probably list their "retail" price at $450.

The specs would be:
  • Response: 90 - 20,000Hz, +/-3dB
  • Effective Bass Limit: 65Hz (-10dB)
  • Impedance: 8 Ohms
  • Power Handling: 160 Watts RMS, 80 Watts Continuous
  • Sensitivity: 85dB SPL at 1W/1M
  • Max Output: 101dB SPL at 1 Meter per speaker

Last edited:
As for the bright and somewhat unusual colors I keep painting my speakers, I am just demonstrating what is possible and I am completely bored with so much grey, brown, and black used in damn near all home audio and home furnishings.

When I chose the colors purple and green, I was holding the cans of paint next to each other on the paint aisle of the store. It wasn't until I assembled these speakers that it dawned on me that I chose the colors used by The Joker in the 1960s Batman TV show.

008.jpg

I wonder if your neighbours ever wonder" What is that crazy Flint guy up to now?"
Mike
Oh yeah, I dig the colour!!

I wonder if your neighbours ever wonder" What is that crazy Flint guy up to now?"
Mike
Oh yeah, I dig the colour!!

Most of my close neighbors are fully aware and some visit while I work. My left-side neighbor has a wood shop in his garage as well, but he makes small furniture pieces. When we are both out there working, it gets pretty noisy on my street.

I just finished installing these speakers outdoors under the ceiling of my patio. I put them deep in the corner and angled them down and towards the middle of the area where I put my seats.

Patio_Coax_16.jpg
Patio_Coax_17.jpg

Since I knew these would be placed in a corner, I tuned the bass performance to be a tad "weak" in an anechoic environment because I would have solid reinforcement from one plane (ceiling) into the midrange and another plane (larger house wall behind the seating) up to about 120Hz. Also, since all the surfaces are fully reflective, I designed the crossover with a large depression in the midrange to counteract the reflections in that range which will make the sound "honky" if it were a flat output to start with. The treble is a tad brighter than I'd like, but the amp I am using now (Dayton Audio DTA-2.1BT2) has a tone control to tame it a bit.

Great sound, and it can play way louder than I'd ever possible want.

Next step is to build the matching sealed 12" subwoofer and hook it up.

I'll make listening position measurements and post them later.

Today is a gorgeous day, so I took my PC and test gear onto my patio and did some measuring of the installed system.

Here's a chart with the frequency response for the coaxial speakers installed:
Patio_Coax_18_ResponseInstalled.jpg

I adjusted the gain of each curve so they are the same approximate level so you can see the differences between left, right, and out in the yard.
  • Bright Red Line - the response of both speakers with the microphone placed about 10 feet out into the yard at standing ear height
  • Orange Line - the response of the left speaker from the most center listening seat with the mic at seated ear level
  • Black Line - the response of the right speaker from the most center listening seat with the mic at seated ear level
I am most surprised at the fact almost all of these curves are identical despite the difference in mic placement, using one or two speakers, or whatever. I may put all the curves onto one chart just to make it more clear.

The dip centered at 400Hz is from the reflection off the wall behind the listening position. The speakers are mounted out in front of that wall about 6 feet away. That is the equivalent to a floor bounce null, but it is off the rear wall.

So, the bass is solid to about 100Hz and I am building a subwoofer right now to supplement the bottom end. The midrange still appears depressed in the measurements, but it doesn't sound that way since the walls, floor, and ceiling are darn near 100% reflective. The treble is a tad strong, and that is also how they sound. This is my only real complaint which I could have addressed with changes to the crossover. Maybe a impedance compensation circuit on the tweeters would have mellowed that just the right amount. However, at lower listening levels, which is where they will most often get use, the boost in the treble sounds kinda nice - sorta like a natural loudness curve which I like most of the time. However, when I turn it up enough to really listen closely to music, it is bright to my ears. But how often will I turn them up that loud outside?

Fun stuff!!!

Back