• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

FLINT: Re-Living his Glory days?

Very nice. Thanks for taking the time to make the video. Sitting in my music room I was tempted to really crank it.

I'd love to see more.

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :text-bravo:

Very cool Flint. Excellent little bit of playing there compadre, and knowing the perfectionist you are, I am sure convincing yourself to do it and put up a video was way harder for you than actually playing it.

Man, you guys got me wanting to practice right now and I have a ton of paperwork to do.

Great job brother.

Nicely done Flint and like the rest here why were u nervous if I could play drums like that id be posting on youtube all the time. My problem was I played the drums just like I dance like an uncoordinated white dude oh wait I am a uncoordinated white dude.
:scared-eek:

Seriously, though. How do the drums sound? I didn't spend nearly as much time working on the sound as I would for a proper recording, but I am interested in what was good and what wasn't. I want to make it faster and easier to record in the future, so feedback I can use to make them sound better would be great.

That frickin rocked!!!!!
:music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

That was bad-ass, as someone who took a few lessons 2 winters ago, after watching that I immediately curled up in the corner of my family room in the fetal position... :text-bravo:

Flint said:
Seriously, though. How do the drums sound? I didn't spend nearly as much time working on the sound as I would for a proper recording, but I am interested in what was good and what wasn't. I want to make it faster and easier to record in the future, so feedback I can use to make them sound better would be great.

I gave it a second listen with my T1 cans. The freq ext was good but I did hear some sibilance which could have been due to the limitations of YT ?? Overall very good. Judging by the high volume setting with my M-Stage SS amp, you kept the levels low enough to preserve dynamic range. I also heard some slight reverb. Was this from an effect or natural?

I added a small amount of reverb and I did not use dynamic compression at all. Typically one would apply a compressor of some kind to drums, but you guys are audiophiles and should be able to appreciate the wider dynamic range.

This was a MP4 format when uploaded, so it was already lossy compressed before YouTube did its thing. I imagine there are some lossy compression artifacts.

Nice Flint.

Wished I was half as good as you guys are. Maybe one day.......

All me & my son could do was smile..........sure wished my son could come by & let you watch/teach...

I to was hearing the reverb some and wanted to ask if you use two mics on the snare one above and one below? Another question is do you have any EQ on the Kick in the 4 to 6 k range to add the slap of the beater into your recording. Have you tried any condensers in the kick to see if the faster rise time helps on the slap of the beater?

Have you tried minimum mic tech to see how you like ?

One in kick and a stereo pair overhead?

I have done everything to record drums - from individual mics for each piece and ambient mics in the room to a stereo pair to the Glyn Johns method. Of the simplistic approach, I prefer the Glyn Johns approach.

On this recording I had:
5ea individual condensers for low frequency percussion on each tom aimed at the center of the top head.
1ea Beta 57 on the main snare top head
1ea SM57 on the main snare bed underneath (phase reversed)
1ea SM57 on the secondary snare top head
2ea AT4040 overheads for cymbals
1ea Beta 52 in the bass drum port with the Earthworks bass drum module inline
1ea Beta 91 inside the bass drum
1ea MXL 603S on the high hat top

There was individual EQ, compression, limited, gating, reverb and quantization alignment applied to each channel. I also added an overall EQ and Reverb to the final mastered track.

It all take time to make acceptable, but I used macros and templates for standard drum recording settings to save time. In a proper recording I would have spent four to six times more time getting every mic perfect in the mix.

I asked because the snares were very well done compared to live sound with one mike on top of snare that most local bands run. I also figured some of our other readers would not know that with recording the snare that it is popular to user a condenser underneath with phase reversal.

For those not familiar with why when the drum is stuck it is like a speaker cone moving away from the top microphone but the bottom microphone sees the cone moving towards it. by reversing the bottom it puts it in phase and does not cause cancelations. This bottom mic also captures the bright sharp sound of the snares rattling the bottom head.

I purchased my AT 2020 Cardiod mic and my AT2050 mult patern mic with figure eight patern to allow me to work with Middle Side recording . I have not tried this on the Stereo overheads yet.

This should give a tremendous amount of wiggle room when recording and getting the mix right.

Back