• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Flying Colors - a new supergroup

Flying Colors isn't prog rock, and they don't make 8 minute songs.
I generally agree that they're not prog to the same extent as Yes, King Crimson, etc. But Cosmic Symphony from their second album is 11 min 53 sec.

Okay, they have one long song, but that isn't the definition of prog rock. Most of their music is straight ahead traditional Rock and Ballad Rock.

My favorite song of theirs, off their first album. Definitely not prog. But their music does have a complexity beyond most straight up rock songs.

I have never heard of this group s listened to a couple tracks via Amazon music.

Not my cup of tea at this stage in my life. Not saying it is bad just doesn't appeal to me.

I think at least part of that is that a lot of these guys are, in their other and/or solo bands, well established in prog. But listen to the song above, does it sound like prog? Ok some of their other songs, maybe to a larger degree, but still they're different from other "mainline prog" bands.

I think at least part of that is that a lot of these guys are, in their other and/or solo bands, well established in prog. But listen to the song above, does it sound like prog? Ok some of their other songs, maybe to a larger degree, but still they're different from other "mainline prog" bands.

So they’re prog-lite?

There is always overlap in genres. Can we call The Who or Supertramp prog rock because they made longer concept songs with changing styles between sections? Does Wings fit the prog definition? Three members of Flying Colors are prog gods, one is a blues-rock guitar God, and one is Baptist music minister. So, being a "suoergroup" with mostly respected prog gods they got some prog awards, that doesnt make them prog. I mean, if we go by awards, let's not forget the very first Grammy for metal was given to Jethro Tull. Somehow I don't think that makes Tull a metal band.

I’m not sure why you seem upset that I find them Prog-ey or prog-lite.

Partly it is because of people putting g the wrong music in genre playlists on Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Music, and other group-based streaming channels/playlists. When someone chooses a "prog rock" channel on some online service, they should hear prog rock, not some prog rock and some sorta, kinda, somewhat related music partly there because one of the musicians happens to be famous for their prog credentials.

Also, I believe words mean things. If we keep referring to a band as a certain genre which they clearly do not belong within, it devalues the entire point of having names on genres which should help fans find new music of the style they like. I am a member of several "power pop" groups online and it is very clear that many members of those groups have NO IDEA what the genre is. They keep recommending songs and bands which are nowhere near the definition of power pop, yet the music they recommend might be good. The whole point of joining a power pop group is to discuss power pop - bands, songs, artists, and other related items which fit the genre. It's like going to a great exhibition of impressionists' painting and seeing renaissance painting mixed in 1/3 of the time. It doesn't mean the older artists weren't amazing and influential, but it demeans the whole point of having an exhibition of a specific genre.

Because it seems like you're judging them based on internet reviews and award categories, not on how they sound.

Sorry, I know that was blunt.

Because it seems like you're judging them based on internet reviews and award categories, not on how they sound.

Sorry, I know that was blunt.

Zero need to apologize. You should know me well enough by now to know I appreciate bluntness.
You’re not going to like this but they sound prog-ey to me and I don’t care for the music.
And I don’t think you need to defend your position on what random genre or category name they do or don’t belong in.

Back