1. Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
    Dismiss Notice

Front panels up

Discussion in 'Acoustics' started by bmwuk, Apr 13, 2018.

1. bmwuk

bmwuk Well-Known Member

rps20180413_223153.jpg Finally got my second panel and mounted to front wall. I'm having to do everything slowly since I have other financial priorities and I'm saving up for my next pair of speakers. Next is the side wall where I marked reflection points and will need a 12" wide and two 24" wide panels for the seating positions.

Results coming up. Now firing up some movies

2. Flint

Flint "Do you know who I am?" Superstar

I am most interested in how the 2 channel stereo sound is affected by these, specifically things like detail, stereo soundstage, and ambience sound qualities.

3. bmwuk

bmwuk Well-Known Member

Give me a bit on this. To be honest the only time I've had with my system has been watching movies, whether for myself or the family. So not a ton of music listening. I finally reconnected with Tidal so I can listen there but I have no more CDs at the house.

I can initially speak to the imaging that it seems to be more precise in the dialogue. I don't have a center channel speaker but the mains now seem a bit more focused. Second, I note more detail in the LR effects and sounds. I've been using the opening scene of The Dark Knight Rises, for whatever reason, as my rewatch. I could tell immediately when the movie started with the ice cracking. I could hear it more defined than before. Then on the CIA plane, when they pull off the hood from Bane, I could hear the chanting music in greater detail. I could barely make it out before.

Really what this says to me is get the other treatments sooner than later because I can imagine the improvements. I've plotted out and plan to put the side wall then the ceiling. Trick is I want to do 2 2'x4' panels decorated in a couple of movie posters. However they are much pricier than the standard ones. That said I will buy the two white ones intended for the ceiling for the side wall, then once I can splurge on the movie poster acoustic panels, I'll move the white ones to the ceiling. I also note that the side wall panels may be too low as movie posters so I may put 2 12" x 24" gray ones below them to get the coverage and then raise up the panels .

4. Deerhunter

Deerhunter Well-Known Member

Very nice, I so need to do that my self.

bmwuk likes this.
  5. Flint

Flint "Do you know who I am?" Superstar

It can be surprising how impactful just a little treatment can be in an untreated room.

bmwuk likes this.
  6. bmwuk

bmwuk Well-Known Member

You taught me that years ago, about 15 years ago. I built my own then and was blown away then. But I have no time to build now but several places have nice pricing. Others not so much

7. bmwuk

bmwuk Well-Known Member

I am in the speakers then acoustics camp. Then electronics. Wish I could have focused on that when I was younger and saved a lot of money.

Flint and Randy like this.
  8. bmwuk

bmwuk Well-Known Member

Another panel ordered. This time a 12"x 48" panel to cover the side wall reflection under the light switch. Since this is the unique size I get no benefit on shipping with other panels of different size. So hence why I ordered by itself

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    heeman likes this.
  9. Zing

Zing Retired Admin Famous

That's about as standard a size as one can get. What makes it unique?

10. bmwuk

bmwuk Well-Known Member

Edited. 12" x 48" is what I meant to type

11. bmwuk

bmwuk Well-Known Member

My 12" wide panel is up. This addresses the reflection from my right speaker to the center speaker

rps20180428_174422.jpg

heeman and Xgm3 like this.
  12. Xgm3

Xgm3 Active Member

Where did you buy your panels at?

13. bmwuk

bmwuk Well-Known Member

Acoustimac. I still need 2 panels for the ceiling and I want the Acousti-art panels to the right of that 12" panel. Decorate them in movie posters.

There or GIK seem to be your good options. I chose acoustimac since they seem to have more color options and they have the art panels I eventually will get. Also they will send you the fabric samples for just the cost of shipping $5 I believe

Xgm3 likes this.
  14. bmwuk

bmwuk Well-Known Member

Second panel up on side wall. Have yet to listen to anything yet. Will post thoughts laterrps20180520_072143.jpg

heeman and Xgm3 like this.
  15. Xgm3

Xgm3 Active Member

Looking good

bmwuk likes this.
  16. bmwuk

bmwuk Well-Known Member

Well finally hung up the replacement for the stolen panel.

rps20180711_224402.jpg

Huey, Xgm3, PaulyT and 1 other person like this.
  17. Dentman

Dentman Well-Known Member

Very cool!

bmwuk likes this.