• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Game of Thrones - SPOILER THREAD

I agree it was too dark, and I felt the surrounds were a little too heavily mixed in, was hard hearing dialog over the surround at times. I ended up watching the episode again last night just to see if I missed anything, although I did tell the wife when we first watched it Sunday night that something seemed weird about the episode, almost as if a different director may have made some changes that were an improvement.

I got a chance to bounce around the episode streaming from HBOGO on my 65” 4K set in contrast to the Directvnow “recording” on my 42” bedroom set (where I watched it originally) and while not a stark difference, it was an improvement

Had some time this orning to play around with my display (65" LG OLED) settings. I found that by setting it on "Vivid" (a setting that usually makes things way to bright and increased the Contrast and got a very good picture that was not washed out, had way more detail than I saw on my initial viewing. It is still dark as it is night but detail and color are way better.

I will rewatch in the next day or so.

He may be right about people not tuning their sets properly or watching it as it is "intended" to be seen. YET, if he knows this (and I fail to see how he couldn't have known this beforehand), it's all on him anyway. If you know people will receive a given communication a certain way and that way is in conflict with how you intend for it to be taken, and you go ahead and do it anyway, that's not their fault for the problem. That's your fault. Period. The communicator needs to be in tune with the audience, much more so than the audience with the communicator.

In other words, if you know people watch the thing on an iPad at the beach and you have everything set for a calibrated high end TV set in a darkened home theater, you're being a moron. You can't cover 100% of everything, sure, but ignoring the majority of use cases is foolish.

Did you catch his statement:
“Personally I don’t have to always see what’s going on because it’s more about the emotional impact … Game of Thrones is a cinematic show and therefore you have to watch it like you’re at a cinema: in a darkened room. If you watch a night scene in a brightly-lit room then that won’t help you see the image properly.”

Recent episode is ranked the lowest since season 5 at rotten tomato's. I didn't think it was that bad, although it did have it's failings, as well as redemptions.

Did you catch his statement:
“Personally I don’t have to always see what’s going on because it’s more about the emotional impact … Game of Thrones is a cinematic show and therefore you have to watch it like you’re at a cinema: in a darkened room. If you watch a night scene in a brightly-lit room then that won’t help you see the image properly.”

Yeah. It made me wonder if he understands how people consume media these days or if he thinks he's the only one who watches.

As a communicator (and one who teaches same in undergrad), it is incumbent upon the person providing the communication to ensure it will be understood and comprehended properly. If you ignore your audience you're doomed to failure before you begin.

That particular quote told me he's ignoring his audience. He may be right on the technical end of things, but he failed as a communicator of the visual media he helped create.

Yeah. It made me wonder if he understands how people consume media these days or if he thinks he's the only one who watches.

As a communicator (and one who teaches same in undergrad), it is incumbent upon the person providing the communication to ensure it will be understood and comprehended properly. If you ignore your audience you're doomed to failure before you begin.

That particular quote told me he's ignoring his audience. He may be right on the technical end of things, but he failed as a communicator of the visual media he helped create.

This is art, not communications. Are you saying the viewer should force an artist not to follow his muse?

One could also make an argument that this episode of GOT is going to become reference material to show off a properly tuned TV and room.

One could also make an argument that this episode of GOT is going to become reference material to show off a properly tuned TV and room.
No it's not, the sound was mixed poorly and the picture was overly soft at times. This is not reference material no matter how much the guy says it is. The only scenes I would say are even close to reference material were the scenes in the clouds with Dany, Jon and the dragons.

No it's not, the sound was mixed poorly and the picture was overly soft at times. This is not reference material no matter how much the guy says it is. The only scenes I would say are even close to reference material were the scenes in the clouds with Dany, Jon and the dragons.

Seeing as I am not interested in this show at all, I am enjoying the anger over artistic decisions the cinematographer, director, and producers chose to make.

I think Radiohead's albums sound like absolute crap no matter how anyone tries to justify it, and the super-fans respond by calling me an ignorant hater who doesn't understand their art.

Seeing as I am not interested in this show at all, I am enjoying the anger over artistic decisions the cinematographer, director, and producers chose to make.

I think Radiohead's albums sound like absolute crap no matter how anyone tries to justify it, and the super-fans respond by calling me an ignorant hater who doesn't understand their art.
I'm not angry about it, I turned off all of the lights and the only time I remember having trouble seeing was when Bran warged into a raven, but all it was was a scene of flying birds so didn't felt like I missed much. But I understand the complaints. My biggest complaint was that the rears were too hot and I was having trouble hearing dialog.

GOT.png

Sorry, I just don't agree. But I did watch it on my 75" TV from AT&T and I had the whole house dark. And for the audio, I didn't have issue either. I will rewatch tomorrow night again to see but I had it turned way up and no issue with dialogue.

Granted I do have a monster of a center.

This is art, not communications. Are you saying the viewer should force an artist not to follow his muse?

Art is a form of communication. If the artist cannot manage to convey meaning to the audience, then it’s nothing but a private form of art.

And this is broadcast on HBO. Made for broadcast, as a matter of fact. There are characters, plot, all those things. The whole point of it is to tell a story to viewers. If those viewers cannot follow the story because the artist’s vision was unclear or deliberately obfuscated, the fault lies not with the audience but with the artist.

If an artists vision is to be conveyed to others (and the fact that this was shown on TV and extensively advertised in an effort to draw an audience shows that it was), the artist absolutely must take that audience into account. We act as though an artist’s vision is sacrosanct- it’s not, and it’s ESPECIALLY not in a medium where there’s more than one person working on it. OK, this is the cinematographer. There’s also actors. Writers. Effects folks. Props. Costumes. And so on. A lot of people had a lot put into this. Do their visions matter? Their work? Because I’m seeing a cinematographer with a remarkably elitist view of how this is to be consumed. Well, that’s not shared by the people who owned it, else it wouldn’t have been viewable on substandard gear.

Lack of clarity is always the fault of the person who is sending the message. Either that person did not frame it properly, transmit it usefully, or any of a number of other things that contributed to the miscommunication.

In this instance, we see someone blaming the audience because the audience was not informed beforehand of the ground rules for this particular communication. Wrong screen, wrong settings, wrong configuration, whatever. And now it’s their fault because they weren’t on the same page with some inexplicable “artist’s vision?” Baloney.

Well, I disagree. I think it is straight up art to me, even if it is designed specifically to generate profit for the creators and producers. If the audience doesn't like their art, then they can not pay for it.

They certainly can vote with their dollars. And they can critique all they like as well. If the artist has freedom of speech to create, others have freedom of speech to voice their opinion. Art is not above reproach or commentary.

I had no trouble seeing it on a set with full array local dimming in a light controlled room.

I e
Well, I disagree. I think it is straight up art to me, even if it is designed specifically to generate profit for the creators and producers. If the audience doesn't like their art, then they can not pay for it.

The problem in this instance (and I would disagree with it being straight up art) is that people had already paid for the service and therefore the program. And based on the previous 50-60 hours of GoT programming they had no reason to think they would receive a product that was inferior in physical quality to what they have experienced or that would require improved equipment to view.

Back