• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Godzilla

so.... about last night.....

anyone seen it yet? try to keep it spoiler free if you dont mind.. plan to watch it later tonight.

Local news movie critic was ecstatic, said of the 31 (!!) Kong movies made, this was in the top 5, and highly recommended for the big screen. He also said (don't think this is a spoiler), very good character development. ;)

so.... about last night.....

anyone seen it yet? try to keep it spoiler free if you dont mind.. plan to watch it later tonight.
I saw it back in the 80s. I couldn't spoil it for you if I tried.

s-l300.jpg

Local news movie critic was ecstatic, said of the 31 (!!) Kong movies made, this was in the top 5, and highly recommended for the big screen. He also said (don't think this is a spoiler), very good character development. ;)
I watched it this afternoon and I wound agree

Watched it at home. Observations...

1. Streaming audio quality on HBO Max is not the best (have observed this with other content as well). It's technically 5.1 but sounds less dynamic then other streaming channels for some reason. Maybe it's XBOX related not sure but there seems to be a drop off in quality vs other streaming services. Anyone else notice this? Looking forward to re-watching on Blu-ray when it comes out primarily for this reason.

2. Loved the big gratuitous brawl scenes. Happy with the higher monster to people screen time ratio vs previous films.

3. Loved that there was a lot of what I like to call "nonsense science" that is the hallmark of many old school Godzilla films. Anti gravity engines, giant MacGyver spaceship defib idea, HEAV acronym, secret corporate underground cross continent 600mph transit tunnels, the whole hollow earth gravity flipping physics situation, Ghidorah skull mind control booth for Mechagodzilla. These things are always much better when they are just thrown in there without bothering to do a lot of explaining.

3. Loved some of the (albeit brief) references to old school content. Some of the G vs K fight moves and moments felt like acknowledgements or tributes to the 1962 original.

4. Loved the CGI fight move choreography for Mechagodzilla because there were a few signature moves that definitely referenced the classic Atari XBOX console game.

5. Didn't really care about the acting or lack thereof everyone did fine and the symbiotic little girl storyline was IMO better then any previous Legendary installments.

6. Wish there would have been more and/or other Monsterverse classic monsters introduced if even in Easter egg references. Last time we got Mothra, Ghidorah, Rodan and a whole bunch of other monsters. Would have liked to have been thrown a few new creature references to maintain the growth and connection to classic Toho characters.

7. Wish there was an after credits scene to keep momentum moving forward to (hopefully) more movies in this series. From what I have read the prospect for future movies is riding on the success of this movie.

Will watch it again this weekend with my son.

Last edited:
Watched it at home. Observations...

1. Streaming audio quality on HBO Max is not the best (have observed this with other content as well). It's technically 5.1 but sounds less dynamic then other streaming channels for some reason. Maybe it's XBOX related not sure but there seems to be a drop off in quality vs other streaming services. Anyone else notice this? Looking forward to re-watching on Blu-ray when it comes out primarily for this reason.

2. Loved the big gratuitous brawl scenes. Happy with the higher monster to people screen time ratio vs previous films.

3. Loved that there was a lot of what I like to call "nonsense science" that is the hallmark of many old school Godzilla films. Anti gravity engines, giant MacGyver spaceship defib idea, HEAV acronym, secret corporate underground cross continent 600mph transit tunnels, the whole hollow earth gravity flipping physics situation, Ghidorah skull mind control booth for Mechagodzilla. These things are much better when they are just thrown in there without bothering to do a lot of explaining.

3. Loved some of the (albeit brief) references to old school content. Some of the G vs K fight moves and moments felt like acknowledgements or tributes to the 1962 original.

4. Loved the CGI fight move choreography for Mechagodzilla because there were a few signature moves that definitely referenced the classic Atari XBOX console game.

5. Didn't really care about the acting or lack thereof everyone did fine and the symbiotic little girl storyline was IMO better then any previous Legendary installments.

6. Wish there would have been more and/or other Monsterverse classic monsters introduced if even in Easter egg references. Last time we got Mothra, Ghidorah, Rodan and a whole bunch of other monsters. Would have liked to have been thrown a few new creature references to maintain the growth and connection to classic Toho characters.

7. Wish there was an after credits scene to keep momentum moving forward to (hopefully) more movies in this series. From what I have read the prospect for future movies is riding on the success of this movie.

Will watch it again this weekend with my son.
I think your audio may be due to the Xbox, Audio was fine on my Roku. Never have noticed a difference between HBO Max an other streaming services.

I did not care for the subplot with the Mille Bobby Brown charecter

I think your audio may be due to the Xbox, Audio was fine on my Roku. Never have noticed a difference between HBO Max an other streaming services.

I did not care for the subplot with the Mille Bobby Brown charecter
Agreed that part was a little silly. I would prefer that moved away from that storyline altogether and went with the little girl and Kong and their psychic bond.

I'll review the settings on my Xbox something sounds off on HBO Max. I noticed the same when I watched Raised By Wolves.

One last movie observation...

8. The best part was that they didn't pretend that Kong could stand up to Godzilla for much more then a brief brawl. Godzilla is an atomic powered planet destroyer who can survive underwater, in volcanos, ice ages, in outer space, electricity, atom bombs, lasers, other monsters, etc. Kong is a big monkey who got shot by WWI biplanes in two movies, fell off a building and died. So that got resolved quickly and properly IMO Godzilla gave him a proper big brother smack down.

Last edited:
i dont care much for millie mini brows (?) subplot as well. it was just a simple way to 'connect' certain aspects of the story, but felt a bit underbaked.

i like the play on the kong girl, and somewhat helps 'explain' some of the things with kong.

gotta be honest tho, im a bit let down with it, but not too bad. maybe its because we all look forward to something ginormous to get through this slump.

i was looking forward to mortal combat.

also recently saw the trailer for wrath of a man with statham. THAT looks fun.

Resolved the XBOX audio issue it had defaulted back to internal decoding. Maybe after an update or power outage or something. Switched it back to bitstream so my AV processor is back doing the decoding and the sound is fixed.

Last edited:
My kids are wanting to see it so we will probably watch it today.
Question: Watch upstairs with 5.1 and 55 inch 4k Sony OLED or downstairs with 7.1 , JVC 1080P PJ and 4' by 8' screen??
Thoughts or suggestions??

Question: Watch upstairs with 5.1 and 55 inch 4k Sony OLED or downstairs with 7.1 , JVC 1080P PJ and 4' by 8' screen??
Big characters, big effects big screen.

I watched on the 10ft screen and full surround. Enjoyable. Would have been enjoyable on the 65" too but the big montsers would have been smaller.

Big characters, big effects big screen.

I watched on the 10ft screen and full surround. Enjoyable. Would have been enjoyable on the 65" too but the big montsers would have been smaller.
We seem to be split down the middle. Old folks want the big screen, kids want the 4k. Figures!!!

Both!!

Back