• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Godzilla

Best Godzilla or any monster movie in decades? Probably. Drew standing ovation at IMAX theater (albiet from a room full of Godzilla geeks like me) and several actual gasps during some particular scenes. Great crowd. Best time I have had at the movies in years.

Best Godzilla or any monster movie in decades? Probably. Drew standing ovation at IMAX theater (albiet from a room full of Godzilla geeks like me) and several actual gasps during some particular scenes. Great crowd. Best time I have had at the movies in years.
This is great. My youngest loves Godzilla movies….i just checked in with him to see if he’d like to make time to go see it.

Don't miss it on big IMAX screen. I am going back Tuesday night next week for another viewing with my son. Might see this one several times while it's still in IMAX theaters. 100% perfect critics score on Rotten Tomatoes is well deserved IMO.

GSCORE.png

Read an interesting comment (paraphrasing) that this would still have been a good film even if Godzilla was not in it. Can't say that about really any other Godzilla movie... this one had actual substantive characters and post WWII Japan storyline was compelling even without the monster... and of course even better with it.

After the greatness of the new and instant classic Toho Minus One film I'm having a hard time getting too excited about this comparatively gimmicky looking Hollywood sequel but I will of course be first in line to see it. Not sure about Godzilla running though that just looks wrong.

Also gave in and signed up for three month trial of Apple TV+ so we could watch the Monarch Series w/Kurt Russell. Just started this weekend so far so good it's well done.

Does anyone know why the Monarch symbol in the new Apple TV+ series appears different then the original symbol from Legendary films? It's broken on the sides no idea why have yet to hear any explanation in the series or find anything written about it online. Asking because I might know a guy who might end up with some of these symbols tattooed on his body somewhere. Might.

New symbol...
NEW MONARCH LOGO.jpeg
Original symbol...
Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 8.25.14 PM.png

Second IMAX viewing of Minus One was excellent. We noticed a lot of stuff we missed the first time. Technically this IMAX theater was a better configuration then the previous one, larger projection screen, steeper seating so it really felt like a more immersive viewing experience. And the sound system was more up to date and quite a bit louder. Although I think I preferred the first theater's sound system it had notably fewer but much larger old school big box cabinets hanging down from the ceiling vs. the countless number of smaller satellite speakers lining the walls of the second theater. Both were IMAX certified but the old school sound system did sound better even at observed lower overall SPL IMO. Still loved both viewing/listening experiences this movie is just amazing to look at and hear in these huge theaters... visual and sound effects and soundtrack. Just bought more tickets online for a third viewing next Weds night. There is another local theater that just added DBOX seating so we want to check that out as well. Can't get enough of this movie and apparently others feel the same way. I just read that Toho has extended US distribution beyond originally planned end date as a result of the instant box office success of this release. It might be the best Godzilla movie ever made. It cost only $15 million to make and humbles the Legendary/Hollywood mega high priced $200 million plus productions IMO.

Watched this the other night at the local Cinemark. Unfortunately the XD showing (ONE!) is at noon during the week. The 45 minute drive to the one with XD...was just too far. Had to watch in a normal theater.

Regardless...a really awesome Godzilla movie and movie in general. I hope they move forward on making sequels for this.
Really enjoyed it.

Regardless...a really awesome Godzilla movie and movie in general. I hope they move forward on making sequels for this.
Really enjoyed it.
Glad you liked it. Also excited for more in this series. Toho has tapped into something with this and I hope they stay on this path and make ten more like this. I said to my friend immediately after the first viewing "American Godzilla films are dead to me now".

GAeste8WkAAQhW-.jpeg

I mean...no way Godzilla should be running...but I have to say...I enjoyed King of Monsters and Godzilla vs Kong and if they keep putting them out, I'll keep watching.

I mean...no way Godzilla should be running...but I have to say...I enjoyed King of Monsters and Godzilla vs Kong and if they keep putting them out, I'll keep watching.
Me too. I still say the Toho product is by far my favorite but I enjoy all things Godzilla (there is no such thing as too much Godzilla). I am currently watching the Monarch Series on AppleTV+ trial subscription and loving the Toho release and excited to see the new Legendary Kong/Godzilla flick. It's a very good time to be a Godzilla fan(atic). And as far as the running thing I am fine with it. Some of the critical comments I have read crack me up... like Godzilla does not have a long history of moving how ever the heck he wants too.

Last edited:
I was not a fan of the new Godzilla x Kong trailer. The franchise trajectory, while maybe not as bad, reminds me of Batman ‘89 through Batman and Robin. I feel/see massive tonal changes from one to the next. It seems that studios in charge of franchises, never learn that bigger is not always better. They need to resist the urge to always outdo the last successful film just for the sake of it.

It seems that studios in charge of franchises, never learn that bigger is not always better. They need to resist the urge to always outdo the last successful film just for the sake of it.
The closest parallel that I can make would be this new Toho Minus One and the Joaquin Phoenix Joker film. They both step away from the typical franchise escalation you describe and (IMO) clearly establish that less can be more. And that story and character development matter. I'll still watch and enjoy the mega studio productions but prefer the other approach.

Me too. I still say the Toho product is by far my favorite but I enjoy all things Godzilla (there is no such thing as too much Godzilla). I am currently watching the Monarch Series on AppleTV+ trial subscription and loving the Toho release and excited to see the new Legendary Kong/Godzilla flick. It's a very good time to be a Godzilla fan(atic). And as far as the running thing I am fine with it. Some of the critical comments I have read crack me up... like Godzilla does not have a long history of moving how ever the heck he wants too.

Man...that brings back memories. I loved those movies...and I guess still do.
So much FUN.

Back