• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Haywood Got a New TV

The set gets delivered tomorrow, but the installers do not show up until Saturday. The delivery is UPS freight, so there is no option to unpack it and plug it in before accepting it. If the panel is bad, I have 60 days to return it. I plan to keep the packaging for that 60 days, just in case. The good news is that this is Sony's flagship. The likelihood of a bad panel is pretty low.

Congrats man!! I know you're stoked and can't wait to see that beauty on the wall.

John- Who knows you suck and now knows how much...

The TV is now in my entryway. The box is ENORMOUS and weighs about 140 pounds (the set itself weighs 123.5). Even the articulating mount weighs a ton. I hope this installer gets lots of really good stud hits.

Excitement is now kicking in.....................

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Here is why this hobby sucks. If I want to get any 4k sources (other than the Android TV stuff that is built in) and want the best sound quality from those source along with the ability to play them concurrently on the 1080p TV in my kitchen, I am going to need a new receiver. I've zeroed in on either the Marantz 6010 or 7010, but both are out of my price range for this year after spending $6000 on a display. I guess I know what NEXT year's upgrade is going to be...

In the meantime, here is a picture of the enormous box in my entryway:

IMG_20160126_161559534_zpsl0pcyrfp.jpg

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

The installer is here from Dish. He does not strike me as being overly bright and he seems a bit less confident that I could wish. His boss is coming later to help lift the set into place and I'm keeping a close eye on things. Hopefully, it will go okay. One of the interruptions was caused because the box for the mount says it supports 32-60 inch sets and my TV is bigger. I explained that the box also says it supports TV's up to 175 pounds and that it was likely built with plasma sets in mind, which are much heavier. I had to then explain that what mattered was weight capacity and VESA mount compatibility. He still seemed skeptical. Who are they hiring to do this work these day? Seriously.

The articulating mount I bought is a freakin' monster. It is quite heavy and extremely solid. I have no question whatsoever that it can hold a 123.5 pound television. The instructions have it installed with two lag bolts each into two studs and then two more lag bolts in wall anchors in the middle. I don't see that going anywhere.

yikes. I bet the guys thinking 'duct tape solves everything' mantra too when it comes to stuff.

I hope all goes well haywood, and yes, take a good gander at em while working on your telly. no telling if someone drops, hits or just bumps the screen.

this is waaaay more than your average television to install considering it weighs more than a teenage daughter.

can you take more pictures? we don't mind the mess. :happy-smileygiantred:

its like hiring the second tier entertainment hostess. we cant afford it and just want a peek. :teasing-tease:

Okay. I kind of take it all back. The guy was extremely cautious and took the time to understand everything before acting. His boss showed up and between the two of them, did an extremely good job of hanging the TV. It looks great. I need to clean the screen and finish getting it all set up. I'll post some pictures later.

Haywood said:
Okay. I kind of take it all back. The guy was extremely cautious and took the time to understand everything before acting. His boss showed up and between the two of them, did an extremely good job of hanging the TV. It looks great. I need to clean the screen and finish getting it all set up. I'll post some pictures later.

great news! I guess they saw that this wasn't your run of the mill kinda tv, and they are installing a helluva luxury visual vehicle on your wall.

salivating just thinking about your pictures.

which makes me look like a teenager again.

"I said I like women with big boots."

"Boots."

Excellent! :text-bravo: Anxious to see some pics of the installation, and read your review.

The picture quality is nothing short of stunning, especially the 4k stuff. I simply cannot believe the impact of HDR on the picture. I've watched some of Man in the High Castle on this things and it blew my mind.

This picture does not do it justice, but it gives you an idea of the contrast and shadow detail. The brights do not bloom like this on the set. That's just my phone camera being overwhelmed. The screen image is extremely crisp.
IMG_20160130_184325509_zpsxtsnkpfh.jpg

Here is what my system looks like now.
IMG_20160130_184708231_TOP_zpsop5usbfj.jpg

The set has Android TV built in and unlike standard Android TV, has apps for both Amazon and Vudu. This is Man in the High Castle streaming in 4k from Amazon. My camera does not begin to capture what it really looks like.

Nice looking install. I need to watch Man in the High Castle... I can get it in 4K, I just haven't bothered to fiddle with it.

Nice. Another Amazon UHD movie to check out is Bosch (it contains HDR)
You mentioned HDR, did you buy a movie on Vudu ? Not sure on how HDR works ? Do you have to enable HDR ? Doesn't the 4K movie have to have the HDR (WCG) content ?

Keep enjoying that Sony.

You suck big time my friend.

Back