• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Haywood Got a New TV

HDR is a function of the inbound signal. The TV plays it with HDR if it is there. It also has a feature that can be turned off or set to several different levels called extended dynamic range that simulates HDR with regular source material. I'm still playing around with it. I just watched my first Blu-Ray. The difference between Vudu HDX and Blu-Ray is more discernible on this set, but still not enormous.

I have been following this thread and waited to comment until the TV came and was set up. Very sweet indeed! :handgestures-thumbup:

Thanks. I guess you are running optical from the Sony to your receiver for audio until you upgrade the receiver. Have you listened to the Sony speakers any (they look better than the norm) ?
Sure hope Roku 4 gets the firmware update so its HDR compatible in the near future.

The speakers in the set are by far the best sounding speakers I've ever heard in a TV. I think you could just add a small sub and it would be fine for a secondary room. They sound at least as good as a decent sound bar without the issues presented by sound bars. They will make a decent back-up system if my receiver ever croaks.

Yes, I'm running optical from the TV to my receiver.

The picture quality on this set can still put my jaw on the floor. I'm five movies in and it still surprises me. I'm seeing color and depth and shadow detail that I've never seen before and that's with 1080p content.

The touch screen remote that comes with the Sony is simultaneously kind of cool and pretty maddening. All it takes is an inadvertent brush to screw up your show. Sometimes it is too sensitive and sometimes it is very responsive. There are also gesture-based controls you are easy to trip by accident. It takes a bit of getting used to. I do like the voice search, which seems to work reasonably well. The Plex client uses the older media player interface rather than the newer universal interface.

Sorry to hear that you aren't happy with the new TV....

Just kidding, you suck! That tv must be impressive in person.

Kazaam said:
That's really nice looking.

Thanks. I'll try to get better pics of the room in a few weeks when we finally finish decorating and de-cluttering. I am very, very happy with the living room, despite a couple things I know are less than acoustically ideal.

Haywood said:
Kazaam said:
That's really nice looking.

Thanks. I'll try to get better pics of the room in a few weeks when we finally finish decorating and de-cluttering. I am very, very happy with the living room, despite a couple things I know are less than acoustically ideal.

Nice TV. You suck.
:music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Take better pictures so I can see your whole book collection (on the right side facing the TV, I think I see a ton of my favorites).

The DirtMerchant said:
Take better pictures so I can see your whole book collection (on the right side facing the TV, I think I see a ton of my favorites).

We have a lot of books in this house, enough to fill seven bookcases that size and still have some in boxes. That particular bookcase and the one next to it have my fantasy and science fiction collection. Not all of them are hardbound or first edition, but many of them are both. Some are signed. The jewel of the library is probably my Raymond E. Feist first edition hard bounds, which include the entire Riftwar Saga (including Magician) and the Empire trilogy. I have a ton of signed Terry Brooks (unfortunately, not the original Shannara trilogy). I've got a decent selection of David Eddings, Jacqueline Carey, Orson Scott Card, Kim Stanley Robinson, Stephen R. Donaldson, Harry Harrison, a couple signed firsts by R.A. Salvatore, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Charlaine Harris, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Isaac Asimov, Fred Saberhagen, Robert Heinlein, C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Douglas Adams, J.K. Rowling and many others. That's just the sci-fi/fantasy section. We have a couple of bookcases full of classic literature, another bookcase full of books about Asia (fiction, non-fiction, history, travel, culture, etc.), a bookcase or two of children's and young adult fiction, a smattering of theology, philosophy, history, historical fiction and all sorts of other stuff. My wife and I were both English majors, so books have always been a bit of a thing.

Haywood said:
The DirtMerchant said:

We have a lot of books in this house, enough to fill seven bookcases that size and still have some in boxes. That particular bookcase and the one next to it have my fantasy and science fiction collection. Not all of them are hardbound or first edition, but many of them are both. Some are signed. The jewel of the library is probably my Raymond E. Feist first edition hard bounds, which include the entire Riftwar Saga (including Magician) and the Empire trilogy. I have a ton of signed Terry Brooks (unfortunately, not the original Shannara trilogy). I've got a decent selection of David Eddings, Jacqueline Carey, Orson Scott Card, Kim Stanley Robinson, Stephen R. Donaldson, Harry Harrison, a couple signed firsts by R.A. Salvatore, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Charlaine Harris, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Isaac Asimov, Fred Saberhagen, Robert Heinlein, C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Douglas Adams, J.K. Rowling and many others. That's just the sci-fi/fantasy section. We have a couple of bookcases full of classic literature, another bookcase full of books about Asia (fiction, non-fiction, history, travel, culture, etc.), a bookcase or two of children's and young adult fiction, a smattering of theology, philosophy, history, historical fiction and all sorts of other stuff. My wife and I were both English majors, so books have always been a bit of a thing.

Lots of signed one's, that's awesome. I read so many of those in my teen years. Was very concentrated in the sci-fi/fantasy.
I should read more of the classics but feel like I have less time and/or energy to consume dense quality.

Did you see there is a show on MTV - The Shannara Chronicles? Pretty good so far, they are starting with The Elfstones storyline.

The DirtMerchant said:
Haywood said:
The DirtMerchant said:

Lots of signed one's, that's awesome. I read so many of those in my teen years. Was very concentrated in the sci-fi/fantasy.
I should read more of the classics but feel like I have less time and/or energy to consume dense quality.

Did you see there is a show on MTV - The Shannara Chronicles? Pretty good so far, they are starting with The Elfstones storyline.

Most of those fantasy books were collected in my teens and early 20's. I don't read a lot of it anymore and when I do, I'm very picky.

I am watching the Shannara Chronicles. Some of the acting is bad and it is cheesy in spots, but I'm enjoying it for what it is.

Have you joined or consider joining Good Reads? It is a site for anyone who enjoys reading, regular people write reviews, it is very informative for someone like me.

Have you joined or consider joining Good Reads? It is a site for anyone who enjoys reading, regular people write reviews, it is very informative for someone like me.

I'm a member, but I don't go there much as I already have a pile of books waiting for my attention.

Back