• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Heeman - Dedicated HT Room?

Zing said:
Towen7 said:
Your room absolutely sucks up light.
A mark of a good home theater room, I say.

No doubt!

Heeman's room isn't just dark... It f#%*ing D-A-R-K. It doesn't matter how bright it is outside there is zero light in the room. Every surface has almost no sheen so very little light reflects. I did the best I could with an SB900 and an SB710 and this is the best I could do. I simply needed more light!

These were taken around five weeks ago (sorry Keith for not posting sooner), obviously before Heeman got the corner trap installed. The sound in that room was already damned good. I can only imagine how good it sounds now. I know he has plans to install some strategically placed diffusers too.

Heeman_zps127e4928.jpg

Heeman-2_zpsde86af11.jpg

^ I have not had much time to listen since the floor to ceiling bass trap install, however there is one word that comes to mind with the little bit that I did...............the word is CLEAN.

The LFE during action movies used to be totally engrossing, the Frisbee and light cycle scene in Tron Legacy would just shake and over power the room. Now it is much more accurate and clean sounding. At first it seemed like some of the LFE was gone, however not the case!

Will try to add more later on, I have a busy week.

A couple more comments on the performance improvements made by the front corners, Floor to Ceiling Bass Traps.

Music Listening - Now the bass is tight and not boomie (ok, everyone expects that comment). It even seems that since the boominess is gone, the clarity of other instruments and sounds are much clearer as well. So all in all with music listening, I believe the improvement was not only with the low end, however with the whole spectrum of sound. So the sound is better than ever!

Blu Ray Movies - This is where it is taking me a little while to adjust. The reason is because all that shaking and room filled LFE has seemed to disappear quite a bit. Take the gun blast in the opening scene in the Dark Knight when they shoot out the window and when the bank manager fires the shot gun. Now those scenes are tight and accurate, not as lingering as before. As I mentioned above, the Light Cycle scene from Tron Legacy is almost a totally different experience than before. It is actually taking me a while to get used to it.

However, I am going to make the assumption, that this is how the LFE and Bass is supposed to sound.

So, we buy a bigger sub and Holy Crap! It shakes the hell out of everything and we think it is great? Maybe not so, the tuning and balance and room treatments play a HUGE part in producing the intended impact/sound. In my case the Floor to Ceiling front corner Bass Traps have had the biggest impact on improving the quality of sound in our HT.

Still loving every minute I/We spend in that room............

heeman said:
This is where it is taking me a little while to adjust. The reason is because all that shaking and room filled LFE has seemed to disappear quite a bit.
This may be a silly question but I have to ask: have you recalibrated all your levels since implementing the new traps?

I gotta know did you rip down any lumber used with the new tablesaw? Maybe didnt need anymore than a mitre saw and dimensional lumber. But can save some bucks by ripping larger dimension lumber and get that Dewalt kicking up some sawdust :D.

heeman said:
A couple more comments on the performance improvements made by the front corners, Floor to Ceiling Bass Traps.

Music Listening - Now the bass is tight and not boomie (ok, everyone expects that comment). It even seems that since the boominess is gone, the clarity of other instruments and sounds are much clearer as well. So all in all with music listening, I believe the improvement was not only with the low end, however with the whole spectrum of sound. So the sound is better than ever!

Blu Ray Movies - This is where it is taking me a little while to adjust. The reason is because all that shaking and room filled LFE has seemed to disappear quite a bit. Take the gun blast in the opening scene in the Dark Knight when they shoot out the window and when the bank manager fires the shot gun. Now those scenes are tight and accurate, not as lingering as before. As I mentioned above, the Light Cycle scene from Tron Legacy is almost a totally different experience than before. It is actually taking me a while to get used to it.

However, I am going to make the assumption, that this is how the LFE and Bass is supposed to sound.
So, we buy a bigger sub and Holy Crap! It shakes the hell out of everything and we think it is great? Maybe not so, the tuning and balance and room treatments play a HUGE part in producing the intended impact/sound. In my case the Floor to Ceiling front corner Bass Traps have had the biggest impact on improving the quality of sound in our HT.

Without hearing it myself, I'd say "yes". For movies, that room filling, low rumbling noise is cool, but not at all accurate. Does it still have that tactile response?

Yes...as Zing asked, did you re-calibrate? I found the bass in my system to be louder than before installing the traps, but it sounded much cleaner.

Zing said:
heeman said:
This is where it is taking me a little while to adjust. The reason is because all that shaking and room filled LFE has seemed to disappear quite a bit.
This may be a silly question but I have to ask: have you recalibrated all your levels since implementing the new traps?

Yes

Srvy said:
I gotta know did you rip down any lumber used with the new tablesaw? Maybe didnt need anymore than a mitre saw and dimensional lumber. But can save some bucks by ripping larger dimension lumber and get that Dewalt kicking up some sawdust :D.

Actually, I used #2 pine for the frames just like the other absorbers in the room. $2.79 for an 8 footer.

The new DeWalt is still sitting in the box, unopened..........

I have plans this weekend to set it up and start to rip some wood for the new BluRay Storage shelf system. Stay tuned!

jamhead said:
heeman said:

Without hearing it myself, I'd say "yes". For movies, that room filling, low rumbling noise is cool, but not at all accurate. Does it still have that tactile response?

Yes...as Zing asked, did you re-calibrate? I found the bass in my system to be louder than before installing the traps, but it sounded much cleaner.

Hell Yea! Sometimes it will make you jump!

Jan and I were talking about this room so I decided I would just show it to her. This really is a cool room. We are going to visit the Heemans late this summer and I'm really looking forward to seeing/hearing this space. Of course, the room, no matter how impressive, will pale in comparison to the time spent with our good friends.

John

^ Thanks John! We can't wait for you guys to visit.

This room was really cranking last night.

Steely Dan Two Against Nature Concert ( too bad it was a DVD in 4:3, but the audio was great)

Meatloaf 3 Bats Live (DVD also, 16:9, the video was really good, the audio was just good)

I really gave the Vera's a workout last night and it was the first time that I pushed them really hard. They stayed Crystal Clear and didn't mind the power.

Yea Baby!!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Today I figured that I would try to get some update pic's of the HT. This was my best effort.

The last 2 make the black look brownish (some effect from the setting on the camera), let me assure you, all the blacks are BLACK.

htstuff046_zpsbdba3247.jpg

Shows the 2 sub locations

htstuff055_zps00e15800.jpg

htstuff059_zps5ce74d17.jpg

I know you don't care how they look but I think they look great.

Can't wait for an invitation to come down and hear them.

Towen7 said:
Can't wait for an invitation to come down and hear them.
No kidding. I keep hoping I'll see a "Deep South Texas GTG" thread. So far, no such luck.

Back