• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Heeman - Dedicated HT Room?

heeman said:
HT004_zps0ad02002.jpg
^ What is this colored material and why is it there?

Heeman said he used old sheets he had around for the backing and #2 pine board for cost effectiveness. The man used the ole bean for sure pretty good thinking.

Backing material is ridiculously over priced if you have ever done any upholstery. This will just face the wall no one will ever see it and will work great.

Srvy pays attention and got it right.

The old sheet material (Barb had to wash them even though they were clean) is just a backer behind the OC 703.

On a side note...............

Barb was in the house reading and listening to some Michael Jackson, while I was outside preping the frames and installing the OC 703 and backer.

When I came it, I said, "Hey, that sounds pretty good on those Studio 20's". She said "I would love to hear this on Bob's Watt Puppies, those were amazing".

I told her that she will be the guinea pig for the addition of the panels in the HT. I told her to pick the song and she told me it was "smooth criminal" because it was in your face.

We went in the HT, had Barb pic the volume level. Smooth Criminal was in your face. We listened to the complete song with Barb sitting in the sweet spot. We then added these panels, 2" OC 703 with a built in 1.5" air gap behind at the first reflection point, HOLY CRAP! Barb almost jump off the seat and said "I can't believe it, I can understand all the words and it does not sound any where near "IN YOUR FACE".

I then did some critical listening and yes, what a huge improvement.........

This is fun stuff and hopefully, some additional improvements will be made with a few more panels and some bass traps.

This my first own personal experience with Acoustical Treatments and I am so glad to have a dedicated room to do this in!!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

We went in the HT, had Barb pic the volume level. Smooth Criminal was in your face. We listened to the complete song with Barb sitting in the sweet spot. We then added these panels, 2" OC 703 with a built in 1.5" air gap behind at the first reflection point, HOLY CRAP! Barb almost jump off the seat and said "I can't believe it, I can understand all the words and it does not sound any where near "IN YOUR FACE".

I then did some critical listening and yes, what a huge improvement.........

This is fun stuff and hopefully, some additional improvements will be made with a few more panels and some bass traps.

This my first own personal experience with Acoustical Treatments and I am so glad to have a dedicated room to do this in!!

Tell Barb, Smooth Criminal is one of Babs favorites!!!! Maybe, someday we can listen to it together!!!!

So excited for you two & your listening pleasure!!!! ;)

It is amazing how a little bit of black spray paint can welcome people into the HT................WAIT?????

Attachments

• wel ht.jpg
    wel ht.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,222
Yes, absorbers at the first reflection points make a HUGE difference. You may want to consider some sort of deflector on the ceiling to remove the primary reflection point from the ceiling w/o deadening the room too much. Flint's room build thread on the old site had some great pics of what he did.

Congrats again on the room.

John

Great job Keith. I just read through the whole thread. Whenever you want, you can come to Philly and help me drywall :)

saldog said:
Great job Keith. I just read through the whole thread. Whenever you want, you can come to Philly and help me drywall :)

Hey Mike!

We spoke about your HT Progress at the GTG.......... Don't force it!!!

I was going to sub out the tape n float, however because of the little bits in stages, I took it on myself and it turned out better than my past jobs. I think one of the tricks was I used the "blue" easy sand mud instead of the "green" mud. I really paid special attention to the application and choose to apply really thin than thick coats. I wish that I had unlimited time off, I would be there in a heart beat to help!

Your post is perfect timing, cause Barb and I just got out of the theater and I am going to post an update.........

Stay focused my friend the end result will be unbelievable!!

Keith

Uneventful update........................

Most of you know that I have updated my sub from the 2006; SVS PB12-NSD to a PSA XV15, a huge bump (no pun) in performance. I have had correspondence with Tom at PSA about setting up the SVS along with the PSA in the HT. This will be tried sometime in the near future, but not a priority at this time.

I have been resting my right arm due to a fairly severe tendon strain over the past month or so, however with little success. Molding is still not complete in the laundry/half bath and either is the cabinet that I started to build for Barbs laundry area. :angry-tappingfoot:

The Platform for the rear row is still not complete, still have the EPS Temporary one in place.

Today, I did purchase enough 1x4x8 to build 4 more acoustical panels for basic reflection point absorption. Will start the frames tomorrow at work, because as usual, we are slow.

I decided to check the hours on the X35 Projector and we are at 222 hours............... We went live on May 11th. We have been able to watch one movie per night, along with some great music listening, more on the weekends!

We have ZERO regrets about investing in this HT/Reno Project, our friends are just blown away.

Thanks again for all the support from all of you guys here, I would never have done this without all of your support and friendship!!!

Stay posted for some-more updates in the near future!!

Update.......................

Completed the rear platform (finally, it has only been 6 months) and had my carpet guys do their thing.............sweet, finally pulls the room together! Took a couple of pics, with horrible results :angry-banghead:

I have built 2 front corner bass traps; 2' x 4' with 6" of OC703. These straddle the two front corners. My plan is to eventually build 2 more and have the two front corners floor to ceiling with these traps.

Plans are 2d diffusers for each side wall from the main listening position. These will be made from EPS Foam and covered with the same black speaker grill cloth as the absorbers. Hopefully this will be done right after Thanksgiving.

Will also need to build another shelf/rack for the growing BR collection.

Lovin' this dedicated room more and more. Barb and I are so glad that we made the investment...... :happy-smileygiantred:

Maybe when either of you guys visit, since both of you are avid photographers, you can bring your camera's and get some Professional Quality Pic's of this room.........................that would be AWESOME!!

heeman said:
Uneventful update........................

Most of you know that I have updated my sub from the 2006; SVS PB12-NSD to a PSA XV15, a huge bump (no pun) in performance. I have had correspondence with Tom at PSA about setting up the SVS along with the PSA in the HT. This will be tried sometime in the near future, but not a priority at this time.

I have been resting my right arm due to a fairly severe tendon strain over the past month or so, however with little success. Molding is still not complete in the laundry/half bath and either is the cabinet that I started to build for Barbs laundry area. :angry-tappingfoot:
The Platform for the rear row is still not complete, still have the EPS Temporary one in place.

Today, I did purchase enough 1x4x8 to build 4 more acoustical panels for basic reflection point absorption. Will start the frames tomorrow at work, because as usual, we are slow.

I decided to check the hours on the X35 Projector and we are at 222 hours............... We went live on May 11th. We have been able to watch one movie per night, along with some great music listening, more on the weekends!

We have ZERO regrets about investing in this HT/Reno Project, our friends are just blown away.

Thanks again for all the support from all of you guys here, I would never have done this without all of your support and friendship!!!

Stay posted for some-more updates in the near future!!

Sorry for being slow to catchup, but am I the only one that finds it odd that Heeman had to nurse a severe tendon strain in his right arm, right after his wife was out of town for like two weeks???? :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease: :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener:

heeman said:
Completed the rear platform...finally pulls the room together!
I assume this is for a second row of seating. Are you buying more of the same kind of theater seats you already bought or are you going with another idea?

I hope you'll attempt some more pictures. I think we'd all like to have a look.

Back