• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Heeman - WI Basement HT Build

:handgestures-thumbup: Tractors............We love the area, just rolling farm land and lot's of cows...........

Well, the big pack and move is scheduled for 3/14 - 3/16.

We have a month to get our act together!

The Home Theater is 90% dismantled and Barb has made great headway on some of the things that we want to pack ourselves.

We have been through this a few times and I hope that guy leading the packing Team is as professional and accommodating as the ones provided in the past. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Barb and I can't wait to see the area once it turns green!

One month from now, they will be packing the house!

Okay, here we go!

Got home from CA last night. Started to look at the HT layout in the new basement today.

Throw out any idea's of angled walls, I just don't have the space.

Rough opening to deal with is approx. 16' 8" side x 19 6".

I have to deal with a waste water plumbing pipe that you will see in one of the pic's below so that wall will be moved in 18".

I also have that damn egress window to deal with. I will build the screen wall in front of it leaving about an 8" - 10" gap.

So, I end up with a HT a little bit wider and about the same depth as we had in TX.

The finished ceiling height should be about 90".

Any other idea's are welcomed!

Here are a few pics of the space.

Attachments

• IMG_0498.JPG
    IMG_0498.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 400
So the dimensions would be approx. 14.0' Wide by 17.9' Long; 7.5' Height

Troubles?

Why not make a bass trap or something around the sewer pipe to gain back some width....provided the dimensions don't screw up your acoustics.

Bass traps are good. I also worry about the low ceiling, might want to investigate traps on the ceiling.

Looks to me like you have a great opportunity to use the whole rest of your basement (and house) as one big bass trap so long as you don't build a solid rear wall. Use a floor to ceiling double curtain (thick material) for light control and to avoid higher frequency reflections (and limit some noise ingress from the rest of the basement) and let the bass escape to the nether regions. Treat 40% of the remaining three walls and ceiling, throw down a nice carpet and you're all set. We'll call it Mackwood's Main HT Mk II. :)

Jeff

heeman said:
^ Really, not a sealed room?
Yup!

Try it.

It's easier to add a wall later if you don't like it than to tear one down.

And yes, I am serious. Not adamantly so. Just insofar as it's something worth considering. I think you've got the ideal layout there to give it a try.

Other option: use some frequent flyer points to come up to Ottawa and hear what one sounds like! :)

Jeff

Another thought on the window ? Put the wall up close as possible and using a retractable screen. you can use some solid french doors to swing back into the room to open access to the window.

With the solid doors and screen in front you will not have light on the back.

Of make it look like the escape door on airplanes ?

malsackj said:
Another thought on the window ? Put the wall up close as possible and using a retractable screen. you can use some solid french doors to swing back into the room to open access to the window.

With the solid doors and screen in front you will not have light on the back.

Of make it look like the escape door on airplanes ?

I also remember seeing an HT on AVS Forum where the guy had a fixed-frame screen with hinges on the top so he could swing it up.

Another thought just came to mind, We put in sliding pocket doors in our home.

so you would be able to slide it from right to left away from the plumbing pipe.

The door next to the Christmas tree is a pocket door that disappears into the wall instead of swinging open and taking space in the room.

This door in the bathroom, master bed room and closet makes it very easy on the handicapped wife in a wheel chair to get around the house.

Now I just have to add the smart system to open and close like star trek.

Attachments

• home.jpg
    home.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 310
The screen wall will be on that Window Wall and the Window will be behind the wall.

I can frame that wall with 2 x 6's and pack it with OC 705 or 703 for bass traps and the corners also, covered with fabric (no sheetrock). I could even put a 6" gap between the concrete window wall and the framed wall, the air gap will add to the traps effectiveness!

Help me out with room dimensions.......................

It looks like with calculations, I can have 14.5' in width as a max. and 18' or so in depth. The finished ceiling will be 7.5' with sofits on both sides for symmetry due to ducting on the right side.

Plugging dimensions into mode calculators, from what I see, tweaking the width and dept slightly does not changes the modes much, but this is where I need Input.

Help on the dimensions are appreciated!

p.s. - No Indoor Archery Will Be Allowed :happy-smileygiantred:

Ok if we try for the audio magic ratios on the room

7.5 x 1 h
7.5 x 1.6 W 12
7.5 x 2.6 L 19.2
can you make the room a little longer 19 ft. and narrow down to 12 ft ?

if you start at 12 wide and the back at 14 wide your sides will be angled some and move the first reflections some.

The maximum size finished space can be 15' x 18.3' x 7.5'.

Should the screen go on the 15' wall or the 18.3' wall?

Back