• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Heeman - WI Basement HT Build

Hey Saldog!

Yes to me the planning of this HT is much more stressful since we did the one in TX. I was less knowledgeable then, and didn't have as much flexibility with the space. The latest twist, the drop ceiling and the impact, probably a positive one slides us back a bit on when we will begin, just because I want the dimensions and taper to be the best it can be.

The only new Equipment that I will buy is a pair of Dynaudio's for the surrounds, the PSA MT-110's are way to big. I hope that I will have better luck selling my PSA (3) MTM-210's and (2) MT-110's in the greater Milwaukee Area.

Good luck on your move and your future Home Theater!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Saldog said:
...Good luck, heeman...I may have missed it; will you need any new equipment, or you kept all your stuff from the last house?

heeman said:
Hey Saldog!...The only new Equipment that I will buy is a pair of Dynaudio's for the surrounds...

Keith, I almost fell out of my chair when I read Mike's question, thinking "Do you realize who you're asking this question to?" (Does he "NEED" any new equipment? No, but that's irrelevant.) Then your answer got me laughing again. You can tell Barb that all you want, I ain't buyin' it!! :eek:bscene-buttred:

It's fun busting your chops again. Of course you know I'm doing this because I'm jealous.

John

Well everyone knows the Excite 18's have been delivered and will be used as the Surrounds in the new HT.

I have purchased the Foam Insulation for the basement walls and hope to get that up this weekend. I still have a little more work to do in the garage before Barb and I jump with both feet into the HT Project.

Still plan on the tapered side wall approach and the drop ceiling. I am going to do my best to build bass traps into the 2 front and 2 rear corners. I will build absorption into the rear wall also.

None of the framed walls support anything, so I think this will be a cool effect.

Stay tuned.......................................

:music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

heeman said:
...I will build absorption into the rear wall also...

Personally, I would limit the amount of absorption in the back of the room. I am big fan of the Live End (at the rear) Dead End (at the front) principle. This allows the imaging at the front of the room to be at its best while not making the room too dead and remain natural sounding. The back of the room, in this method, is treated with diffusion which can range from knick-knicks on shelves to specialty products placed on the walls and ceilings. The idea is to scatter the reflected sound so that it decays naturally instead of just artificially dying as it is absorbed.

John

The back wall will be less than 6' from the row of seats. At that distance I think I am better off with absorption then deflection. Anything less than 10' is problematic.

The depth of the room will only be between 15.5 and 15.75 feet.

Thoughts?

Don't overdo the absorption. If the room is too dead, you will not like the result.

That said, building in too much absorption then adding reflective panels if it is too dead is a very effective approach. Imagine a wall which is 100% absorptive and large floor to ceiling panels about 2 to 3 feet wide mounted about 2-3 inches in front of the absorption to add reflection.

I got 3/4's of the foam insulation up against the concrete walls today. Been suffering with a major head/chest cold over the past week or so. Was in CA all last week and got home Friday night.

Next weekend should be very productive.

Pic's will follow later...................

:music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Front wall framed.

001_zpsyrhydmlm.jpg

:banana-dance: :banana-rock: :banana-dance: :banana-rock: :banana-dance:

Good start . Good Luck. Hope the Job is going well also.

How is the plan for the Landscaping coming along. Should be able to put plants in now ?

I have been moving lots of garden soil into the 11 raised beds for the Wife.

About 3.5 hours today......

Side wall and most of back wall framed.

One of these pic's shows how the angled wall within a wall will end up. The perimeter will be insulated so will the side angled wall in the theater. There will be bass traps in all four corners with insulation.

No reason for jack studs for the window framing due to no structural support. Could have framed it with 24" on Center, but chose 16" on Center.

The window will be behind the insulated angled wall with a panel that can be easily removed in the situation of a major event.....

Coming along, but slower than I had planned due to other priorities.

001_zpshypo0jh4.jpg

006_zpslplyu6bb.jpg

Should be working on the electrical soon, I have about 1.5 days left of framing.

Very seriously considering a 60 Amp sub-panel to the equipment closet. This will eliminate a bunch of discreet wiring from the opposite side of the basement.

Yes that works very well, but do a 4 wire pull. two 120, one common, and one ground. The second pannel needs to have the common lifted from the ground in the second power box. The tie for the common and ground should be only one the first pannel at the power service.

Any progress on the three day weekend? Hope you enjoyed the memorial day parade. Hope you were able to get some wiring done.

Yes, not as much I was hoping for.

A small set back.......

We had some heavy rain come through the other night, and we found out that the egress window leaks, not around the window, however the window itself. It is not installed level and the weepers were not opened. I knocked out the weepers, drilled some new one and used some flex seal around other problem area's. We also installed the clear dome over the outside that will help divert the water from hitting the window directly. All this work set us back quite a few hours.

All the pressure treated sole pates are anchored in, including the angled walls. Lot's of measuring, checking and measuring again to insure proper dimension. I also simulated speaker placement to understand the approx positions for the first reflection points. This helped me with the location of the entry door, surround speaker placement and equipment semi-rack.

Late start today, but hope to finish all the framing.

The 24 bundles of Roxul Comfort Batt Insulation (12; 3.5" and 12; 5.5") were delivered on Saturday AM. I also picked up the Sub Panel, Breakers, Boxes, wire and accessories for the electrical work.

I'd give both my arms to be as handy as you are Heeman!

AH, thanks for those kind words Jeff!

This old Man get's worn out really fast these days.........

I hope that Flint is right and the angled walls really pays off, it has added a ton of work!

The front 2 corners will have massive bass traps!

Here are some pic's from the last 2 days..........

001_zpsfsata4bz.jpg

009_zpsk9mjix5a.jpg

006_zps6icxqydh.jpg

003_zpsmlo3ttvd.jpg

004_zps7ovuzeib.jpg

Back