• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

"Hillside Cinema"

Pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    501.2 KB · Views: 636
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 636
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    655.8 KB · Views: 636
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    715.8 KB · Views: 636
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    720.6 KB · Views: 636
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    615.4 KB · Views: 636
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 636
ecea3b45e13fee6a5527399b36628057_zps065ff36d.jpg

Pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 634
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 634
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 634
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    639.4 KB · Views: 634
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 634
The story behind the name of the theater and the sign is this. Jimmy's dad passed away sometime ago and Jimmy inherited his father's business. Although he'd never say it, I can tell he takes a lot of pride in the fact that he is running the business successfully and it is doing as well as it ever has and is expanding. I borrowed (or stole) the logo from his company, modified it, and handed the idea off to my pal John who does the 3D signs I've been touting. I was really crossing my fingers that Jimmy would appreciate the sentiment and it turned out to be his favorite part of the theater.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    581 KB · Views: 634
Equipment List:

JVC Projector w/Panamorph Lens and transport
Da-lite 120" Cinescope screen with 2.35:1 & 16:9 aspect ratios
Onkyo Preamp, Amplifier, BD player
Xbox One w/Kinect
Pace Cable box with DVR (service provider issued)
KEF Q-series speakers
HSU VTH-15H (2)
MacMini with movie server
URC iOS controller
Lutron 6-zone Grafik Eye lighting control
Mid-Atlantic and Tripplite power protection
Mid Atlantic Rack with custom faceplates
6 Elite Home Theater Seating power recliners in "Grape" cine-suede.
Valspar paint products.

Here's an incredibly crude :happy-smileygiantred: sketch I just drew up on the iPad to give you an idea of the shape and layout. Support posts and HVAC ducts pretty much dictated to me what I should do. The stairwell provided a perfect nook to put the equipment rack underneath a landing at about 5'. I decided to make the back of the room near the entrance since that would make the 12' width in that area less restrictive and and less disruptive to occupants already in the room. This allowed me to expand the front of the room like a mushroom once I cleared the foundation corner behind the right side wall and a support post along the left side wall. I created the angles to eliminate predictable square corners which, to me, made the room much more interesting. Arranging the room this way also made the I-beam and HVAC duct which ran sideways less of a height restriction since the front 3rd of the room will get less foot traffic. I had to construct a ~10-11' deep soffit around the beam and ductwork. The height in the front is roughly 6'4" with the rest of the room being approx 7' 5" or so, overall length is approx 26'....the room is quite comfy. The build started late October/early November of last year and was completed this September with no work taking place last Jan, Feb & Mar. Since I have a day job fixing dents, I put in anywhere from 1-3 nights a week usually around 4-5 pm and stayed sometimes until 10-11 (one time until 2am :shock: ) and a lot of weekends. He had no deadline and was extremely flexible and understanding of my schedule.

f621e3f004fdac1f55a026f692241e62_zps008323d3.jpg

The angled side walls that are hidden from view from the seats - looks like you used a different finish. What was it? Acoustic panels?

The sign you had made is freaking awesome given the company logo!

The stone looking finish doesn't seem ideal for a home theater. How does the room sound?

Fit and finish looks perfect; I wish you lived closer and could've done my HT. I really like the little box around the base of the projector that hides all the cords. Good job, man.

Thanks Chuck! I appreciate the compliments!

The room sounds really good. Is it the best I've heard? Not by a long shot, but many of our rooms are geared to shine during 2 channel listening. Jimmy couldn't give two shits about music. He enjoys music, but not like us. This is a viewing room, I'd say 99% of the time it will be used for movies and gaming. Currently there are no acoustic panels but I do plan on putting some on the side angled walls IF he'll allow it. But he's so happy with the room as it is. I'm not sure its worth going through the trouble for either of us.

Also, the stone isn't real. Although rigid, its very lightweight and can be cut with a hack saw. (for time reasons, I used my miter and table saws). Honestly I don't think the effects are any different than if I had left it as plain drywall. It is most certainly more porous than real stone veneer. I wanted to achieve what was most important to them and that's a visual WOW factor on all fronts with sound being good but secondary. (if that makes sense)

Crappy iPhone screen shots

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 626
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 626
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 626
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    681.6 KB · Views: 626
I like the stone look, personally. Just think of them as diffusers. :laughing: The wood of the seat riser is cool, too. And you even made the purple seats (mostly) work!

Really nice job there, Chris.

I'm not sure why, but about 10 of the pics of the stone installation would not upload from my iPad or from importing them from my iPad to my iMac and then uploading them. NOTHING worked and I gave up. That's why some are linked from photobucket.

Chris, I would only expect the BEST from you.

Nice Job!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Bat, I didn't know you are a contractor as well. Looks good!

BTW, after looking at those seats, the name "Barney" keeps popping up in my mind for some reason... :think:

^ ha! Yeah the seat color was not as muted as the pics without the flash but the pics with the flash defintely exaggerate the intensity of the purple.

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Beautiful job Bats. If I could reach through the computer screen and punch you in the nose I would !!! Guys like you make me extremely jealous!!! Curse these two left thumbs I was born with!!! Well done!!! :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Thanks Mike! Almost time for a road trip in your direction!

Thank you also mcad!

Back