• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

"Hillside Cinema"

I have viewed a lot of these shots, prior to this thread, per Zing/Batman. Awesome!

A, BIG, shout out to Batman, for making a home theater dream come true! Au Salute! :handgestures-thumbup:

Excellent work Chris. Looks like fun.

Attention to detail makes the difference, and I like the design and color of the room.

I actually like the chairs...definitely adds character to the room....add some contemporary art on the walls with a little of the same color.....bam!

Job well done. Is he using your HSU's?

Although...how do you possibly have time?

Wow Chris, that looks fantastic! I'm always in awe of those that can build stuff like that. Well done!

jamhead said:
Excellent work Chris. Looks like fun.

Attention to detail makes the difference, and I like the design and color of the room.

I actually like the chairs...definitely adds character to the room....add some contemporary art on the walls with a little of the same color.....bam!

Job well done. Is he using your HSU's?

Although...how do you possibly have time?

Jimmy is now on the hunt for some wall hangings. He's really into photography as well. So I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I see some things on the walls.

Thanks for the kudos!

That's one heck of a project Bats!

I am in awe at your ability to take something from concept to completion with no real written plan or drawings. Even with plans and instructions, I've got at least a couple of IKEA "Billy" bookcases that I've assembled wrong!

Jeff

Knowing what I know about acoustics, I imagine the bass sounds completely different when the doors in the back are opened versus when they are closed. You have basically created a pressure chamber with the wider area at the front where the subs are located. The bass produced in that area will create higher pressure in the listening area where there is less air volume. If you open the doors and allow that pressure to get out of the room, the listening area basically becomes a big channel for the high pressure coming into it from the front of the room, like a huge tuned port on a speaker cabinet.

Did you do any listening or calibration comparisons between the doors being open and closed?

^ thanks for the input Flint.

I did not do both in regards to the calibration. I only calibrated with the doors closed . Since he prefers the doors closed when the room is in use. I listened to the sound plenty with both the door open and closed when running video demos while tweaking the projector alignment. I admit I didn't really notice too much of a change however the gain on the subs had to be turned WAY down just to run the calibration. My friend Dave who does my URC programming here locally is really into acoustics and measurements, he wants to do a reading of the room. So that would be a fun experiment.

Batman said:
The story behind the name of the theater and the sign is this. Jimmy's dad passed away sometime ago and Jimmy inherited his father's business. Although he'd never say it, I can tell he takes a lot of pride in the fact that he is running the business successfully and it is doing as well as it ever has and is expanding. I borrowed (or stole) the logo from his company, modified it, and handed the idea off to my pal John who does the 3D signs I've been touting. I was really crossing my fingers that Jimmy would appreciate the sentiment and it turned out to be his favorite part of the theater.

the carpentry and masonry work is awesome, but nothing compared to this personal touch. it made it feel like it was his, his and his dads. that it was more than a material space, but like a part of a home and not just a part of a house.

this speaks much about the builder, and congrats buddy, you definitely are quite the gentleman and the craftsman.

now....

questions galore.

1. that red thingy to hoist the ceiling plywood stuff, is that yours? thats an awesome contraption!

2. the center speaker stand, what finish did you use to paint it? looks awesome!

3. i see it was more of a 'cool white' feel, instead of the normal 2700k light temperature, your choice or his? very interesting...

your definitely a worksman chris, and a great person.

Wow that is some serious beautiful work. A carpenter relies on dimensions an artists see's it in his mind and puts it on canvas. An empty unused room is your canvas where serious art is transformed. Very nice if this isn't your day job it should be.

My only critical thing is the purple chairs but that's the clients choice. Serious nice work!

jomari said:
the carpentry and masonry work is awesome, but nothing compared to this personal touch. it made it feel like it was his, his and his dads. that it was more than a material space, but like a part of a home and not just a part of a house.

this speaks much about the builder, and congrats buddy, you definitely are quite the gentleman and the craftsman.

now....

questions galore.

1. that red thingy to hoist the ceiling plywood stuff, is that yours? thats an awesome contraption!

2. the center speaker stand, what finish did you use to paint it? looks awesome!

3. i see it was more of a 'cool white' feel, instead of the normal 2700k light temperature, your choice or his? very interesting...

your definitely a worksman chris, and a great person.
Jomari, thanks, your thoughts are exactly what I was after when I had the sign made for Jimmy.

1) yeah that drywall lift is mine, I rented one to do my ceiling in the Batcave. I knew for this project I'd potentially have it for weeks and the rental fees would well exceed the cost of a cheap one so I ordered one off of Amazon. Defintely a life saver!

2) it's the Line-x spray liner for truck beds that I've put into use in the past. The original idea was brilliant and must be credited to -B- as he did his speaker stands in Line-x some 10 years ago. I then did it again for my center stand and many other items since.

3) that must be the camera, I used regular halogen flood light bulbs in the recessed cans and halogens in the track lights.

Srvy said:
Wow that is some serious beautiful work. A carpenter relies on dimensions an artists see's it in his mind and puts it on canvas. An empty unused room is your canvas where serious art is transformed. Very nice if this isn't your day job it should be.

My only critical thing is the purple chairs but that's the clients choice. Serious nice work!
Thanks! I really appreciate the compliments! I'd love to do this for a living, maybe someday. At the very least I'm looking to transisition (slowly) into real estate and renovations. I feel like I was meant to do this kind of work I just discovered it much later. Had I known I'd enjoy carpentry and such I'd have gone a different route after high school.

I've discussed with other members at some recent GTGs that I now have a new dream of building my own house. Including a new HT that the layout would be built around and on top of :happy-smileygiantred:

Batman said:
Srvy said:

Thanks! I really appreciate the compliments! I'd love to do this for a living, maybe someday. At the very least I'm looking to transisition (slowly) into real estate and renovations. I feel like I was meant to do this kind of work I just discovered it much later. Had I known I'd enjoy carpentry and such I'd have gone a different route after high school.

I've discussed with other members at some recent GTGs that I now have a new dream of building my own house. Including a new HT that the layout would be built around and on top of :happy-smileygiantred:

Well if the wife is willing and you can juggle work and building your dream home I would say get on with it. Remember the older you get the harder it is to do that sort work.

Did you do all the electrical wiring in that theater also?

Here are a couple screen shots of the URC iOS controller. These are captured from the App Store so of course Jimmy's is tailored to his system, but these pics give you an idea of what a couple of the pages might look like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 955
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 955
Wow, an incredibly classy look. I was thinking the "stone" was acoustical foam of some kind!

I echo the other sentiments, as well, That 3d sign was the perfect touch.

Wonderful job you did Chris !
Like was suggested, get started in the craftsmanship as early as you can, years fly by real fast my friend. You have the eye & skills, if it's your dream, act on it while your young if you can.

Back