• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

How many of us still actively using SACD?

AndySTL

Just curious how many on here are still actively using and buying SACDs? I had an SACD player in my Sony 400 disc DVD changer, but I dumped that for the single disc Blu-Ray. I only have about 5 SACDs, but I did enjoy them. I've been thinking of adding a single disc SACD player back into the mix if I can get used one cheap enough. I don't know if I'll end up using it much, so I am trying to figure out if it's worth spending any money. What's everyone's take?

For Blu-ray I bought the Sony 580 and it does SACD through HDMI. I didn't choose it for that reason, but since it does it I still really enjoy the 3 or 4 SACDs that I have.

I doubt that I'll be buying any more SACDs unless I find one of my favorite albums in that format that I haven't seen before, or unless folks recommend a "must have".

I don't own a single SACD, but my Marantz BD player plays them if I so choose. Andy, I have a Denon 2910 universal player if you're interested. It's just sitting around. I have the remote and it's pristine if you're interested...

Most of my SACD collection are of movie soundtracks from Telarc, however my Sony player does not read the remix SACD of Dark Side of the Moon released a few years back:(

My Oppo plays them, and since I do buy a lot of classical and jazz, will continue to buy the disks. I'm guessing I have about 20~30 so far...

Snowman_ said:
For Blu-ray I bought the Sony 580 and it does SACD through HDMI. I didn't choose it for that reason, but since it does it I still really enjoy the 3 or 4 SACDs that I have.

I doubt that I'll be buying any more SACDs unless I find one of my favorite albums in that format that I haven't seen before, or unless folks recommend a "must have".

Wow, I didn't realize that any players other than the Oppo's output SACD DSD over HDMI. That shows you how much I've researched this. I guess there probably a few options. Interesting...

Botch said:
My Oppo plays them, and since I do buy a lot of classical and jazz, will continue to buy the disks. I'm guessing I have about 20~30 so far...

Yes, I knew the Oppo's did that, but it looks like they still go for over $300 on eBay. I definitely don't want to spend that much on it.

Are they still printing new SACDs or do you buy your discs used?

Even the cheapo Sony bdps will output DSD over HDMI; I have a use 370 that I got for $50 on eBay that I got largely because I wanted an SACD replacement for my noisy PS3. Like Botch, I've got probably around 30 SACDs, most of them classical or jazz. I do listen to them from time to time, when I get a quiet moment in my house (which is rare with 5 and 8 yo kids).

AndySTL said:
Are they still printing new SACDs or do you buy your discs used?
Both. There are some classical and jazz labels that still print new, and I do buy some used (and there are some I'd like to buy used, but they cost too much).

65 SACDs and <10 DVD-As.

I have older Oppo and Denon units that will play them - and the Oppo does so via HDMI - including outputting native DSD stream which the Onkyo 886 digests quite nicely. Plus a Sony DVD player that will do SACD - but I don't use it for that any more.

I'm ALWAYS looking for new and used discs.

And as all you Rush fan members know... there's Blu-ray music discs as well! (There's no noticeable difference in sound between SACD and BD BTW - a testament to SACD IMO.)

There's every reason to buy a used Oppo (like the 980H) and to continue collecting SACDs.

My SACD/DVD-A collection is reaching 100 soon. So, a universal p[layer is a must.

When I bought the Onkyo NR708, I also picked up the latest Pioneer .

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DV-61...60R4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329934115&sr=8-1

For $102 it is a region free DVD player and hasn't refused any disc I throw into it. The earlier Pioneer 563A refused a few. The 610AVK plays SACD via HDMI but component for DVD-A.

I still hunt for used SACD's and DVD-A's although they are getting hard to find. My lastest score was a Telarc tribute to Weather Report. A deal at $4.

I listen to SACDs quite a bit, probably four to five times a month. But I am not actively shopping for them anymore.

I would if I had any. When I go to my local record shop and ask about sacd or dvda they look at me like I have two heads!! I then explain what they are and they tell me that if they have any they will be lumped in with the rest of the cds.

mcad64 said:
I would if I had any. When I go to my local record shop and ask about sacd or dvda they look at me like I have two heads!! I then explain what they are and they tell me that if they have any they will be lumped in with the rest of the cds.
That's my experience in almost all cases, but there will be the very odd store, always an "independent," that has a dedicated space - but usually only if they have an extensive classical section (and to a lesser extent jazz) - where the format still clings to life. The last such store was in Singapore - in the Tanglin Mall I believe.

I still listen to them once in a while; but I don't actively shop for them, anymore. Mostly because I already bought a ton of them and there aren't many that I don't already have. Though, if it weren't for the fact I am now poor, I probably would've bought Pink Floyd's WYWH SACD from Acoustic Sounds, or some of the recent Japan SACDs that were reissues of Warner Bros DVD-Audios. But those were $40 or more each.

I spend many hours listening through HPs, since the majority of two channel recordings are produced to be enjoyed via traditional speakers, they sound as though they are generated from inside the head, and lack the imaging produced by speakers. Although, HPs are more accurate, intimate, and transparent than tradition speakers.

In my quest for imaging and sound field, I discovered a binural recording that is truly phenominal, produced by the fine folks at Chesky.

Explorations in Space and Time

HX090368035264_185.jpg

Rope

I just won an eBay auction for one of the newer Sony Blu Ray players. Got it for $40 including the shipping. I'm excited that I will be able to play my SACDs once again.

Back