• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

How to update firmware on an 885?

Yeah, I know there are workarounds. But my (strong) feeling is I shouldn't HAVE to go through these multi-cable methods just to use a player as SACD only.

PaulyT said:
Yeah, I know there are workarounds. But my (strong) feeling is I shouldn't HAVE to go through these multi-cable methods just to use a player as SACD only.

I agree, you shouldn't but I don't know of another way. At least you have HDMI. My 'pre/pro' (a Denon 3803 receiver) doesn't have any, so I'm shit out of luck. It looks like spaghetti behind my gear rack and I don't have the 5.1 ins/outs hooked up on my player.

Did you see if you can assign an unused HDMI connection to an audio only input, like the CD input?

Yesfan70 said:
Did you see if you can assign an unused HDMI connection to an audio only input, like the CD input?

No, I didn't try, since my goal was to get it working for both audio and video simultaneously. Might be interesting to try with a player that has dual HDMI outputs - like the oppo 93. But I'm not gonna buy one just for that. ;)

Anyway, since I'm back to only the PS3 for blu-ray/SACD, it's a moot point for now as there's definitely no way to control that thing without the video on.

PaulyT said:
.....Anyway, since I'm back to only the PS3 for blu-ray/SACD, it's a moot point for now as there's definitely no way to control that thing without the video on.

Yeah, that changes everything. Didn't know you were using the PS3 as the SACD player. I kept thinking you had a dedicated player for that.

Yeah, that's what started all this - I was investigating a (quiet) standalone player, in large part to be used for SACD playback, where noise from the PS3 is most obvious.

PaulyT said:
Yeah, that's what started all this - I was investigating a (quiet) standalone player, in large part to be used for SACD playback, where noise from the PS3 is most obvious.

It might be cheaper then to go to a small monitor like Flint was talking about as opposed to getting a dedicated player.

That is, if you are thinking about getting a player after the FW update for the 885 didn't help.

I talked about that in one of these threads, too. ;) That'd be an option if my equipment rack weren't right under the TV in the front of the room. Plus my goal was largely to reduce noise during SACD playback. Then it became sort of a Don Quixote personal peeve thing, where I just had to have a system where I could very specifically use the BD player for SACD via HDMI without ever turning on any TV/monitor. since I failed at that, all the standalone BDPs got sent back. My current belief is that this is simply impossible with the 885. That and other issues with Onkyo's HDMI interface has me convinced that my next pre/pro will NOT be an Onkyo.

PaulyT said:
My current belief is that this is simply impossible with the 885.

Have you tried with other disc types? I'm asking becasue I don't have any problem playing CDs and BDs with the TV off with my 885.

I'm not sure I tried a regular CD with any of the BD players. But I have the same problem with the DVD/CD player.

If your BD player is connected via HDMI to your 885/886 processor, and you turn off the display, this will terminate the HDCP hand shake process and the BD player will also shut down. If you had a dedicated CD/SACD player connected via coaxial or toslink, this wouldn't be the case.

Rope

What confuses me is that I have tried multiple HDMI devices; BD players (CD, DVDs and BDs) an Xbox and a PS3 and all work w/o the TV being on. Granted I've never tried a SACD but still... what's the reason that my 885 doesn't care if the TV is on and yours?

Yes, I'm talking about HDMI only. Although I could turn off the TV after starting the SACD and it would continue to play ok. It just wouldn't start up without the TV.

Rope said:
If your BD player is connected via HDMI to your 885/886 processor, and you turn off the display, this will terminate the HDCP hand shake process and the BD player will also shut down. If you had a dedicated CD/SACD player connected via coaxial or toslink, this wouldn't be the case.

Rope

Sort of off topic, but let's say Pauly has a conventional BD player for a 2nd player and wasn't using the PS3 for SACD playback. Could he still assign an unused HDMI jack on the 885 to the CD input? There is no video signal to begin with that input, so would that still affect the handshake process?

Pauly have you contacted Onkyo yet to see what the pre/pro should and should not do when playing certain media over an HDMI connection and/or when an HDMI cable is connected although the playback is not necessarily over that cable? And on top of that if a certain update will take care of your issues? Reason I ask is I wonder if Onkyo took care of this with an update, because it definitely has been taken care of with subsequent generations of their products. I am listening to a CD over HDMI on the 5507 w/o the projector on right now as I sit here...

Yesfan70 said:
Rope said:

Rope

Sort of off topic, but let's say Pauly has a conventional BD player for a 2nd player and wasn't using the PS3 for SACD playback. Could he still assign an unused HDMI jack on the 885 to the CD input? There is no video signal to begin with that input, so would that still affect the handshake process?

Yes. The kicker comes with univeral gear where video is involved.

Rope

Yesfan70 said:

There is a video signal, just not from the disc. The player generates a video signal usually with the album, track and timing info. But yes... you can assign an HDMI input to CD but doing so tells the pre/pro that a video source is connected and the HDMI handshake process would be the same (I think).

It's a good question. I'll try sometime tonight/tomorrow to assign my existing DVD/CD player (which is HDMI) to CD audio input without any video input defined. (Each HDMI channel can be assigned to both video and audio.)

Towen7 said:
Yesfan70 said:

There is a video signal, just not from the disc. The player generates a video signal usually with the album, track and timing info. But yes... you can assign an HDMI input to CD but doing so tells the pre/pro that a video source is connected and the HDMI handshake process would be the same (I think).

Interesting theory. The only kickback I see is, each of the inputs can be renamed to reflect whatever is input, although Onkyo, even though you can rename them, may have pre assigned which inputs would process video and audio (HDCD hand shaking), and which would process audio (No HDCP hand shake). It's worth a go.

Rope

I don't see the use of the "CD" input making any difference. That's simply a name on the display as far as the pre/pro is concerned. HDCP is tied directly to the HDMI port, regardless of the name of the input that is used to select that HDMI port.

John

There is another possible issue in Pauly's system that I don't believe has been mentioned yet: What if the TV is the culprit?

What if the TV isn't sending the appropriate information back to the pre/pro when it's in "Standby" (nothing really ever goes off anymore). That may explain why others w/ the same pre/pro are able to do this and he's not.

Pauly, you may want to connect your TV to the web and see if it will do an update.

John

Back