• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

How to update firmware on an 885?

Thanks for the ideas, John. I think the idea for "CD" input is to have an HDMI port where audio input is defined, but not video; AOT e.g. the PS3 input where that HDMI is configured for both.

It's certainly possible it's the TV, I suppose. I mentioned before that it works fine if the HDMI cable to the TV is unplugged. It's a relatively inexpensive Toshiba Regza, dunno if it has ethernet/internet firmware update capability... I'll check.

PaulyT said:
Thanks for the ideas, John. I think the idea for "CD" input is to have an HDMI port where audio input is defined, but not video; AOT e.g. the PS3 input where that HDMI is configured for both.

I get the concept. I just don't believe by-passing HDCP will be that simple. I'm assuming that the logic is that the pre/pro won't be concerned w/ passing anything upstream since there's no video. I'm betting that part of the HDCP handshake protocol is some kind of check for a video signal from the source; then, if a video signal is present, all video requirements w/in HDCP are enabled.

PaulyT said:
It's certainly possible it's the TV, I suppose. I mentioned before that it works fine if the HDMI cable to the TV is unplugged. It's a relatively inexpensive Toshiba Regza, dunno if it has ethernet/internet firmware update capability... I'll check.

Ahhh...I didn't remember that. If that's the case, then that points more to the TV, the way I see it. I think that's a case of the TV not responding correctly to the pre/pro when HDCP is making the handshake.

If you use a macro-enabled remote, this might be another work-around: select HDMI Out 2 (assuming that output is empty) when you listen to an SACD. That should give the same result as having the HDMI cable unplugged.

John

yromj said:
If you use a macro-enabled remote, this might be another work-around: select HDMI Out 2 (assuming that output is empty) when you listen to an SACD.

Now that is a genius idea! I will give it a try at some point.

Back