• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

HTIP - Home Theater In Progress

Botch said:
I don't have that particular jig, but I do have a biscuit joiner that performs essentially the same function.

The reason I got a pocket hole jig instead of a biscuit joiner is that the screws eliminate the need to use clamps on a glued joint. I don't have many clamps (all five of mine are pictured) so thats a BIG plus. Kreg's literature goes so far as to say that you don't really even need glue but, IMHO, it's a good idea to glue whenever possible. The clamps in the pic above are holding a glued joint that I failed to plan ahead and drill holes for.

Towen7 said:
The reason I got a pocket hole jig instead of a biscuit joiner is that the screws eliminate the need to use clamps on a glued joint. I don't have many clamps (all five of mine are pictured) so thats a BIG plus. Kreg's literature goes so far as to say that you don't really even need glue but, IMHO, it's a good idea to glue whenever possible. The clamps in the pic above are holding a glued joint that I failed to plan ahead and drill holes for.
Good planning, glue is always a good thing. I have a buttload of clamps (I'll post a pic later) but if you don't have very many then screws make a lot of sense. :handgestures-thumbup:

I got the table finished just in time for a little Christmas party on Saturday night. Sadly the cabinets weren't done but ironically the carpenter was in attendance and promised to get to me in early Jan. He's doing it at cost so I wont complain. Here are a couple of shots of the table in the room. I now have seating for eight so seven of you are welcome any time.

HT-3-1.jpg

HT-2-1.jpg

HT-4.jpg

The next project will be to cut down and install the plastic wire-hiders that came with the speaker stands. I'm in no hurry.

Looking good Towen, but why not ditch the table and add another row of seats. Just curious that's all.

MatthewB said:
Looking good Towen, but why not ditch the table and add another row of seats. Just curious that's all.

A couple of reasons actually. After visiting yromj's place I realized how practical having a table in the space is (for eating, using a laptop, or just sitting around and talking with friends). I want the space to be used for entertaining and having a table makes the room so much more "usable". Also, these powered recliners take-up a lot of front-to-back space. To fit a second row and still be able to walk behind them would have require moving the front row several feet closer to the screen. I wanted to keep the front row at least 10' the screen. Part of the experience of a good HT is the sense of space you get from being that far from the speakers and a big screen. IMHO there is a real difference in the experience between sitting 10' from a 110" screen and sitting 6' from an 90" screen.

Will the surround speakers eventually be mounted at higher elevation? It looks low to me or is it a photo distortion?

DIYer - The window prevents wall mounting the right surround speaker. At the moment they are sitting on 40" pedestals. Which was fine before the table was there. I'll look into better solutions after the cabinets are done.

Rope - The table can be moved but, yeah, it's essentially stationary.

Towen7 said:
DIYer - The window prevents wall mounting the right surround speaker. At the moment they are sitting on 40" pedestals. Which was fine before the table was there. I'll look into better solutions after the cabinets are done.

Rope - The table can be moved but, yeah, it's essentially stationary.

As you're probably well aware, it's not doing your acoustics any favors. I used to have a coffee table in my listening area, sold it, and yes, its absence does make a noticable difference.

Rope

To be honest I haven't given the acoustic implications of adding the table much thought. Unless it just sounds awful it's one of the compromises that I'm willing to make for the sake of usability. I'll do what I can such as adding some rigid fiberglass material and/or diffusers to the underside of the table. But at the end of the day I want a space to enjoy with family and friends more than I want ideal acoustics.

Besides... Critical music listening isn't my thing. When I really listen I tend to focus more on how the music makes me feel, or the memories that are stirred-up than pure audio perfection. That's beyond my reach anyway. That's not to say that I don't want to do the best I can with what I have.

Towen7 said:
To be honest I haven't given the acoustic implications of adding the table much thought. Unless it just sounds awful it's one of the compromises that I'm willing to make for the sake of usability. I'll do what I can such as adding some rigid fiberglass material and/or diffusers to the underside of the table. But at the end of the day I want a space to enjoy with family and friends more than I want ideal acoustics.

Besides... Critical music listening isn't my thing. When I really listen I tend to focus more on how the music makes me feel, or the memories that are stirred-up than pure audio perfection. That's beyond my reach anyway. That's not to say that I don't want to do the best I can with what I have.

I understand where you're coming from as it relates to having an area that usable and fun. There's always a compromise in most things, including audio.

When i view the pic with "sugar plumb" reclining on the sofa, it appears the table is in the rear of the area? Then with the other pics it appears to be in front?

Rope <--------Delusional?

Oh just put a thick acoustically absorbing shag wool rug on top of the table, and you'll be fine!

Rope said:
Towen7 said:
When i view the pic with "sugar plumb" reclining on the sofa, it appears the table is in the rear of the area? Then with the other pics it appears to be in front?

You are indeed delusional, Rope. But we already knew that. The table and barstools are immediately behind the recliners. The table is just a tad taller than the recliners so when viewed from behind you can't see them.

T7, I kinda like it. Potential accoustical issues aside. Looks good brother!

Towen7 said:
Rope said:
Towen7 said:

You are indeed delusional, Rope. But we already knew that. The table and barstools are immediately behind the recliners. The table is just a tad taller than the recliners so when viewed from behind you can't see them.

Thank you, it's much clearer now. I've got to lay off the peyotee buttons during the day light hours. Initially (thanks to my friend payotee) the table appeared to be in front of the screen. This conjured up thoughts of Towen dropping acid while he was constructing his listening/viewing area, and all the while it was Mr. peyotee playing games with my head.

It looks great, Towen! <-------------This is a non delusional compliment, as I have not eaten any Peyotee Buttons, yet, today.

Rope

That's awesome!!! I can not tell you much I love the look and feel of that room.

The way the table is in the room, it won't be an acoustic issue very much if at all. The only possible issue it would give is with the surrounds and that's not usually super-critical anyway.

BTW, I agree w/ what you said about seating distance, etc. 10' really feels right to me.

John

I like it too. I would be tempted to mount the surround high on the top of the back cabinet pointing down.

The bar/table is perfect for that room. Although, with that in mind, maybe a full conversion into some sort of bar/booze locker would be in order for the cabinetry.

Maximo said:
... maybe a full conversion into some sort of bar/booze locker would be in order for the cabinetry.

Ive had that thought too. There will be room in the center cabinet for a mini-fridge and my modest collection of booze. I don't know how I'd feel about having to go upstairs every time I want a drink though. Maybe I'll keep the wine and my everyday liquor downstairs and move some of the other stuff upstairs... :think:

Oh that's easy. Buy more booze.

You've got you upstairs booze and your downstairs booze. Booze for the car. Booze for work. Booze for the purse. The oppotunities here are endless.

How about a snack bar? Seriously. Small microwave for popcorn?

Back