• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

IEM (In Ear Monitor)

Rope

Famous
Re: New headphones for home and work.

Dane -

The guy you mention above (Joker) provides a guide with 200+ very detailed IEM reviews. Does he have a day job, or is reviewing everything that makes noise his day job?

:text-link:

Rope

haha yeah, I've wondered that myself too. I should PM him and ask him how he does it. I do know that many of the review items are loaners. The same goes for amps. I loaned Rob(Skylab) an amp once for his famous review thread.

I agree with joker's impressions for the most part for the several IEMs, portable & full size that have crossed my path. His review threads like a couple other guys are a great value for anyone researching.

His thoughts on the Ortofon e-Q7 are very accurate IMO , which have been my favorite so far in the under $400 that I've tried.

I also have the Westone 3 (in that tier too) and did own the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-i ... st_6492057 (scroll past the AT)

I purchased a used 80 GB Zune, and am considering Ortofon Eq-5, Fischer DBA-02, Weston 3, or HiFiMan RE262. I've already spent countless hours reading Joker's reviews. Wish Head-fi had some meets locally, on second thought, no I don't.

Excuse me while I rob a bank.

Rope

Those meets are dangerous. I haven't been to many and the last one was in DC, where I met Paul.

At that meet heard the Senn HD800 for the first time. I knew then that I must upgrade. Once you hear better, it's hard to go back. I then vowed to splurge. After much thought I placed my order for a Beyer T1 at Guitar Center(got them for $50 under the pre-order price)...4 agonizing months later my ears thanked me. I'm still very happy with them so I better not listen to any more cans.

I'm in the no buy zone right now.

While I have no first hand experience with the Beyer T-1's, from the information I have gleaned, you'd be hard pressed to find a better phone, and that includes all the orthos in one heaping pile.

Rope

Rope said:
While I have no first hand experience with the Beyer T-1's, from the information I have gleaned, you'd be hard pressed to find a better phone, and that includes all the orthos in one heaping pile.

Rope

Thanks. That makes me feel better about spending $950 on a headphone. :scared-eek:

:music-listening:

This IEM is what I've hung my hat on.
R07Pa.jpg

Price is right, and Jokers' review sealed the deal.

Rope

PS, sorry for jacking your thread, malsackj.

They look like a very good choice, I just read joker's review. There are so many IEMs out there I never noticed those...although I don't try to keep up.

I assume you've ordered and are waiting?

Yes um.

According to Joker, I'll need to let them play a few hours before the taste test.

Rope

Rope said:
Dane -

The guy you mention above (Joker) provides a guide with 200+ very detailed IEM reviews. Does he have a day job, or is reviewing everything that makes noise his day job?

Rope
Oh how I wish I saw Rope's link BEFORE I just bought some UE700s.

The 700s should be a great sounding IEM, although many have their own sound signature, and it comes down to personal taste. I hope the Vsonics are a winner. In most cases you pays your monies, and takes your chances.
Rope

I bought mine from The Headroom so I can return/exchange them but they HAVE to be leaps and bounds better than my current $40 AKGs. The UE700s have dual drivers and a crossover so I'm quite anxious to hear them.

The more I read about the UE 700s, I'm convinced you're going to love them. In fact, I'm having buyers remorse before receiving the Vsonic GR07.

Rope

They arrived today. The comfort is outstanding and the clarity astonishing! They're a little light on bass compared to my AKGs (which makes me think the AKGs were simply bass heavy) but between their comfort and the overall sound quality, they're keepers. So much so, I just bought my wife a pair.

Zing said:
They arrived today. The comfort is outstanding and the clarity astonishing! They're a little light on bass compared to my AKGs (which makes me think the AKGs were simply bass heavy) but between their comfort and the overall sound quality, they're keepers. So much so, I just bought my wife a pair.

I'm glad they're working out.

You probably already know this but if you don't have a good seal, bass will suffer. I usually get the best seal and bass response when using silicone tips.

GreatDane said:
You probably already know this but if you don't have a good seal, bass will suffer. I usually get the best seal and bass response when using silicone tips.
I didn't "know" it but I assumed it. I tried all the tips that were included, from the smallest to the largest silicone tips as well as the Comply foam tips. The largest silicone is what I ultimately selected.

Suprisingly, the Comply tips weren't as comfortable as I expected. The smaller silicone tips allowed the IEM to go further into my canal and I think I actually preferred that sound but they weren't terribly comfortable and were really light on bass. The largest silicone tips keep them further out of my canal but it's a much better seal, the bass in indeed better and they are wear-all-day kind of comfortable.

With good quality ear phones, bass will be tight and punchy when a good seal is maintained. Most of the economy IEMs will produce a bloated, boomy bass with good seal. I noticed straight away with the Klipsch Image s4s that the flanges were key in getting good performance. I too finally settled on the largest silicone tips for best bottom end performance. When I used the medium size flange, and wear them to bed for some presleep tunage, they would change tonally when I layed down on my back. Word of caution; :naughty: take them out before you roll over on your side. :doh:

Rope

I almost never use the foam tips because they need cleaning( I soak them in hydrogen peroxide then rinse w/ water). I only like my Etymotic ER4 with foam.

I use my Westone 3 every night to sleep. My wife snores. There I said it. lol

I probably would use them anyway. I normally listen at very low volume. I use my 6G Nano, line out to a Headamp Pico Slim. The Pico has an extremely accurate digital volume which has perfect channel balance at any volume with zero noise. It's fucking beautiful.

GreatDane said:
I almost never use the foam tips because they need cleaning( I soak them in hydrogen peroxide then rinse w/ water). I only like my Etymotic ER4 with foam.

I use my Westone 3 every night to sleep. My wife snores. There I said it. lol

I probably would use them anyway. I normally listen at very low volume. I use my 6G Nano, line out to a Headamp Pico Slim. The Pico has an extremely accurate digital volume which has perfect channel balance at any volume with zero noise. It's fucking beautiful.
:text-lol:

Rope

Back