• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Inception

yromj

Who else saw this? What are your thoughts?

I saw it at an iMax and was thinking "I wish I would have seen Toy Story 3." Leo's movies always seem to drag along to me. The premise was interesting; but, I didn't like the execution. Then there was the ending. I saw it coming and thought it came about by the director thinking, "Wouldn't it be funny if..."

I give this 2 stars at best. I'm curious to see what others thought.

John

This is a funny one to me. I remember such odd reviews when I commented about it over at S&V. People loved or hated it.

I happen to absolutely love it! I think it's the best sci-fi sense the Matrix. I would give it a 5/5 and call it OUTSTANDING!

I can't wait for it to come to BD.

Funny how much our opinions vary around here.

I had heard that it got rave reviews from most everyone who saw it. I still wish I had seen Toy Story 3 (which I haven't seen yet).

John

If there is a consistent gripe about Nolan's movies, it's that he uses a lot of exposition in his movies. Often his movies are so complex there will be several expository statements throughout his films to assure the audience can keep up with the storyline. Problem with that technique is that if you're not having issues following the story, it can grow tiresome REAL fast... I believe when all is said and done near the end of Nolan's career, he will be receiving a lifetime achievement award or something equivalent. His movies are almost always unique, groundbreaking, innovative, beautifully filmed and well executed. More often than not, people leave the theater with their "thinking caps" on whether they like the movie on a whole or not...

Razz said:
Bats,
What movies has he made?

It's called IMDB. Learn it, love it. :teasing-neener:

Count me among those who wasn't a fan of Inception. Part of it may have been that I had seen Shutter Island a couple of days before so I pretty much felt like I was seeing the same movie again with Inception adding a long, boring snow fort battle....

Batman said:
If there is a consistent gripe about Nolan's movies, it's that he uses a lot of exposition in his movies. Often his movies are so complex there will be several expository statements throughout his films to assure the audience can keep up with the storyline. Problem with that technique is that if you're not having issues following the story, it can grow tiresome REAL fast... I believe when all is said and done near the end of Nolan's career, he will be receiving a lifetime achievement award or something equivalent. His movies are almost always unique, groundbreaking, innovative, beautifully filmed and well executed. More often than not, people leave the theater with their "thinking caps" on whether they like the movie on a whole or not...

Yeah, I see your point, at least partially. This movie would have been a LOT better, IMHO, if several of the scenes would have just been shorter. I'm still not a fan of the ending, either. Not because of the "style", but because it seemed out of place. :twocents-mytwocents:

John

Razz said:
Bats,
What movies has he made?
Following
Memento
Insomnia
Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Inception
In Development: The Dark Knight Rises

Not that we veered that far off, but back on topic, my wife is looking forward to seeing this when it is finally released. I originally went out and saw it with my cousin, and after describing the premise of the movie, my wife said it sounded interesting. At that point it will be my second time seeing it and it will be interesting to me to see what I missed the first time around. This idea/experiment by Nolan and co. may have been better served to get a series/franchise treatment a la The Matrix, but on the other hand that would've been a huge risk since it was such a bold and different idea. The movie is so dynamic, fast paced, and complex that it is a lot to cram into one movie. You can't afford to turn your head or slip out to take a leak or you will have missed an important element of the film there is no doubt.

Batman said:
Not that we veered that far off, but back on topic, my wife is looking forward to seeing this when it is finally released. I originally went out and saw it with my cousin, and after describing the premise of the movie, my wife said it sounded interesting. At that point it will be my second time seeing it and it will be interesting to me to see what I missed the first time around. This idea/experiment by Nolan and co. may have been better served to get a series/franchise treatment a la The Matrix, but on the other hand that would've been a huge risk since it was such a bold and different idea. The movie is so dynamic, fast paced, and complex that it is a lot to cram into one movie. You can't afford to turn your head or slip out to take a leak or you will have missed an important element of the film there is no doubt.

Vinny?

Rope

I couldn't wait for it to be over...a 45 minute story stretched to 2 and a half hours to show you what kind of special effects they are capable of....but that's just my opinion.

-B- said:
I couldn't wait for it to be over...a 45 minute story stretched to 2 and a half hours to show you what kind of special effects they are capable of....but that's just my opinion.

:text-+1:

John

:text-threadjacked:

If it were Conception starring Rhona Mitra or Kate Beckinsale, I'm game.

Rope

Razz said:
This is a funny one to me. I remember such odd reviews when I commented about it over at S&V. People loved or hated it.

I happen to absolutely love it! I think it's the best sci-fi sense the Matrix. I would give it a 5/5 and call it OUTSTANDING!

I can't wait for it to come to BD.

Funny how much our opinions vary around here.

Man you liked it? I disliked it; it had slow spots but whenever it did have action I liked it. 3 out of 5 if you ask me. For my simple mind it was hard to follow along.

:text-imnewhere:

Matthew

Due out tomorrow Dec 7th, I will be all over this one buying the most super-duperest limited collectors edition the store offers!!! :happy-smileygiantred:

This movie was the first movie that I have fallen asleep during. Like said before it just seemed to drag along and the ending was a bad idea. There were way to many things up answered at the end.

i guess in a nutshell, id call this a good movie that couldve been better. Nolan is known for his headache causing movies, but for a good thing. its a thinkers movie. I loved the Prestige, and how it has captivated what was loss in ages in viewers - the ability to think, to imagine, to question why certain scenes were done in such fashion.

with this movie, i guess it felt a bit odd, like a dr..... will not go that path. :D

anyways, i guess it felt like it was trying too hard to accomplish what it wanted to portray. Granted there are a number of scenes that can put a dog down, but a number that can make you drool.

Storywise, it had a strong backbone, but couldve been executed better. Id say this is two flights underneath "The Prestige"...

Sidenote: Did we ever agree on the prestige Bales character was? and if the machine worked? im going to try to look for that thread. That was a great one... wheres the spoiler tag on here?

Back