• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Incredible Covers...

So you have both versions on CD?

I have the Toto version on CD and the Weezer version in a FLAC download.

The first verse of the Toto version has drums, bass, piano, guitar, congas, and some subtle use of ambient synth sounds along with the singing. The first verse of the Weezer version has drums, bass, and guitar.

One of the reasons Weezer's version of Roseanna sounds full is simply the incredible amount of compression put on it. Basically, all the harmonics, decay, resonance and such which should be fading in the background is pulled way way forward via multitimbral compressors (basically the tools of the loudness war). The use of these compressors is also what demands they really thin out the arrangement with fewer instruments like percussion, strinf/synths, and such. This is what I have grown to hate about modern music.

That’s very interesting as I always focused on compression artifacts and not how compression might affect the rest of the mix. I now feel like I’m in an “ignorance is bliss” situation.

That’s very interesting as I always focused on compression artifacts and not how compression might affect the rest of the mix. I now feel like I’m in an “ignorance is bliss” situation.

In a very general sense, compression is bringing up the quiet stuff so you hear it better. It is necessary to some extent as real dynamics are almost impossible to comprehend in a recording. Limiting, however, is cutting off the high levels so the middle levels can be louder. So, compression makes the soft stuff louder and limiting makes the loud stuff softer. Once sound compressed and limited, the mix can then be turned up thus increasing the perceived loudness.

This is why you have to turn up the Toto version of Roseanna in order for it to seem to be the same loudness as the Weezer version. However, when turning up the Toto version, the dynamic peaks are now way louder than anything the Weezer version can provide and the quiet subtle stuff in the Toto version can still remain quiet and subtle. Whereas, the Weezer version has all the instruments punching you in the face whenever they play. There is no subtlety, so "back in the mix" parts, no finesse. This is why I prefer the Toto version.

It is also part of the reason I am not a fan of the Weezer covers. I know I love the original versions of those songs. The Weezer versions are boring, dull, and lack artistry. If Weezer had chosen to reinterpret the songs, which I know they are completely capable of doing, I may have liked them - but they would not have sounded so much like the originals. Much like "Peace, Love and Understanding" by Elvis Costello and the Attractions is a much better version of the song than the original writer, Nick Lowe recorded, or damn near every single cover of Bob Dylan's songs, I prefer artists to reinterpret the covers they record.

Watched Heart Live in Seattle again last night and can not get over what an amazing job they do on Battle of Evermore!

Saw them a few years ago and they were much better than I expected and I expected them to be very good. Their encore was with Jason Bonham’s band and performed 45 minutes of Zep tunes.

Now if you desire a better offering of covers, in my opinion give this a spin. Not outstanding or anything but solid. I enjoyed this CD a lot.
View attachment 8775
I went over to Amazon to see if I could have a listen, as I like both Tommy Shaw and Jack Blades, but this cd must be made of gold. You can get a used cd for $30, or brand new from $74 to $110. Yikes!

I went over to Amazon to see if I could have a listen, as I like both Tommy Shaw and Jack Blades, but this cd must be made of gold. You can get a used cd for $30, or brand new from $74 to $110. Yikes!
I think I left this disc in my cars cd changer when I gave it to my brother in law. I'll take another look around for it.

I still feel covers are meh 95% of the time. I have groups I love but when they cover another song, it feels weak.

I did like Johnny Cash doing "Hurt" from Nine Inch Nails.

Love the Yeah Yeah Yeahs but when they did the Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin for Girl With A Dragon Tattoo.. nope.

This is imo the best this song has ever been covered. I've been a metal drummer since I was a kid and something about Greg Halls drumming in this just takes the song to a whole new level for me.

This is imo the best this song has ever been covered. I've been a metal drummer since I was a kid and something about Greg Halls drumming in this just takes the song to a whole new level for me.

This is way better than the original, but only because of the drummer - the rest of the band is, to me at least, fair to average.

So, who was the drummer?

According to Walls post his name is Greg Halls. He seems either inexperienced, or at least not interested in the rest of the music. To me, it sounds like he is aggressively taking every opportunity to essentially play a solo whenever it is at all possible. I enjoy listening to it, as a drummer, because some of his choices are pretty impressive. His technique is pretty damn good - clearly he practices his skills to a great extent. But, there are moments where he steals attention away from the vocals, guitarist, or the band overall. That is common in young drummers who just want to show what they are capable of doing - I was very much that way for far longer than I want to admit. But, he is clearly a technical talent and, given his awareness demonstrated by his trying to find the right place to show off, he is very likely to eventually figure out what makes the song better versus what makes him look good.

Just an FYI Hall was only 17 when they recorded that so you are correct he was very young. His playing on this song while aggressive is actually pretty spot on to what Bill Ward does on the original. I have had the pleasure of sitting behind Hall and watch him play and he plays the song exactly the same every time while Ward never does.
To say the rest of the band had less talent based on this song is kind of ridiculous as they are playing the song pretty much note for note, I’m not saying they are more talented but I think to make that statement one would have to listen to their originals instead of a cover.

Back