• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Joined the 4K TV Club

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
Just picked up the model in the link below from Best Buy - they had a sale and an returned box model, so I got a pretty good deal.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGJX3SH/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_pK-Czb9KS1F7C

This TV is in my Family Room, not my home theater, so I wanted to balance cost, performance, and enough features to keep it from becoming obsolete for several years. I mounted it to my existing wall mount and plugged in my Amazon Fire TV Stick and ran the setup.

One impressive feature, it recognized that I had a Samsung Galaxy 8+ in the room and asked if it was mine. Once I said yes, it asked me to log into my Samsung account and immediately knew everything it needed to know about me and my home wifi network to complete much of the setup, including the fact I often use Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu on my phone and it made those services the first three favorites in the smart TV section. Pretty cool, but I didn't care much since I was going to use the Fire TV Stick instead.

Once I adjusted the picture settings to look less "retina burning" I was impressed with the image. I also like the minimalist remote control. I have grown accustomed to the simplicity of a Fire TV or Hulu remote, so a TV remote with a similar simple and Spartan layout is a welcome new feature for me.

I will eventually take the Toslink output from the TV to feed audio to a DAC then my Parasound Preamp, a Halo power amp and my two excellent first generation SVS bookshelf speakers. Then I will be in family room entertainment semi-Nirvana.

Samsung has one of the best Smart TV platforms in the industry. My father is on his third generation of their TVs largely because he likes their interface so much.

Big congrats. I love my Samsung. Two things. First find out how to put on HDR+ and apply to all settings. Best advice I can give you. It's like lifting a veil on colors on all your inputs. Just awesome. Second for about 40.00 buy the Samsung 4K hard drive it has ten 4K movies and about 30 mini documentaries all in 4K video. It's just a simple 1TB hard drive preloaded with 4K movies like Life of PI, Forrest Gump, The Book Thief, The Counselor, the first two Star Trek movies (with Chris Pine), World War Z and others. If you really want to show off what 4K can do. I went this route because I didn't want to spend 250.00 on a 4K player and 30.00 for each 4K movies when 1080p and 4K is almost hard to differentiate for me sitting back 10 feet but I still wanted to show off 4K when I have visitors well worth the 40.00 bucks. I'll post a link in a second and only works with Samsung 4K UHD TV's.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Elec...&sr=8-1&keywords=Samsung+4K+movies+hard+drive

Last edited:
Thanks, Matt. I am not terribly interested in seeing 4K content, for the sake of seeing 4K content, in my family room with all the big windows causing considerable glare, the less than ideal viewing distances and angles, and with the general mood of the room having been designed specifically for having company over and chatting over drinks. For the most part this specific TV will be showing background content and the occasional sporting event.

Now, when I buy a new high-end TV for my HT, then I will be all over getting the best content I can to impress my eyes. I may even do the whole calibration thing, again.

Congrats on the new TV. I went the Samsung 4K route a few months back, also from Best Buy. Yes, the Samsungs are awesome. Enjoy

Funny I'm looking at the same unit, wife and I went Friday. I'm interested in the 75" version.

Flint, congrats on the new toy!! I would tell you that you suck, but you already know that. :nyah:

John

Samsung has one of the best Smart TV platforms in the industry. My father is on his third generation of their TVs largely because he likes their interface so much.
A few months ago I would have agreed with this statement but then...

One of the firmware updates on my TV disabled the "Smart Hub" menu that I loved. When I googled it, several people had the same result and Samsung said they were working on it. The solution per Samsung was to use the search feature and search for the apps you wanted. This works but it's not really all that clean. It also doesn't allow for app browsing to see what is new on their platform. I've been using it since this happened but it was really disappointing. I would imagine that this is not an issue with new sets but a couple of firmware updates for my TV have not solved the problem.

John

I have some great with Sony's former and implementation of Android TV as well. I don't care if there Play Store service failed when I'm watching someone on an external device and hate having to switch to the TV device on my Harmony to click the OK button and make the dialog box disappear. Super annoying. I also hate that I cannot reorder featured apps our add them to my own apps bar, which I can reorder. Instead, I am forced to side scroll ad infinitum past all kinds of shit I don't care about. I love how Sony feels the have the right to curate my apps after I spent $6000 on the set. Greedy asshole corporations just don't know when to quit.

Wait....there's a club?

Yeah, but it tends to wear out the wildlife.

56e00f449b83444ff98c767a77ee4bed0ba6130147b61719c53b98fbec476a02.jpg

Flint still engage the HDR+ trust me on this. No matter what you watch the colors will just pop.

...snip... Second for about 40.00 buy the Samsung 4K hard drive it has ten 4K movies and about 30 mini documentaries all in 4K video. It's just a simple 1TB hard drive preloaded with 4K movies like Life of PI, Forrest Gump, The Book Thief, The Counselor, the first two Star Trek movies (with Chris Pine), World War Z and others. If you really want to show off what 4K can do. I went this route because I didn't want to spend 250.00 on a 4K player and 30.00 for each 4K movies when 1080p and 4K is almost hard to differentiate for me sitting back 10 feet but I still wanted to show off 4K when I have visitors well worth the 40.00 bucks. I'll post a link in a second and only works with Samsung 4K UHD TV's.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Elec...&sr=8-1&keywords=Samsung+4K+movies+hard+drive

THANKS! Received my Samsung UHD hard drive yesterday. I plugged it in last night, found it in the menu bar and boom...watching a movie.

Enjoy it. I bought it just to show off to visiting family and friends without spending a fortune on a new 4K player and movies.

Bought one and connected it, when I try to play a video it says it was made for tv's made between 2014 and 2016. =*(

Guess my tv is too New

Last edited:
^ what's the source? It's possible the TV, source component or both need a firmware update.

Source is that Samsung UHD pack that Matt linked to. Display is...hmm, whatever 65" 4k Samsung that was $999 at Costco (tossed the box and can't find the manual at the moment)

Back