• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Keyboards

PaulyT said:
Cool, you can bring the V-piano to the GTG so I can try it out. :laughing:
Just like the larger SVS subs, this thing is being delivered by a semi. Once it's here, it's staying! So I guess you'll just have to come visit me to play it.

Botch said:
Congrats!
I'd like to hear your impressions on the manual that came with it; admittedly a dedicated piano won't have a lot of functions, but still would like to know...

I used a similar "Rolaid" amp for rehearsals:
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u139/Botch07/DSC_0001.jpg

Here's the manual. I've seen worse.

Do you not like your rehearsal amp? I think I'm going to like these. 4 channels, effects, EQ and an XLR mic input. What't not to like?

heeman said:
Best of luck with your new toy!!

Oh Yea!!

YOU SUCK!

Why thank you for the sucky sentiment. :teasing-tease:

Zing said:
Do you not like your rehearsal amp? I think I'm going to like these. 4 channels, effects, EQ and an XLR mic input. What't not to like?
Oh yeah, its great for rehearsal/practice; I just modified the nameplate cuz I'm twisted like that...

Botch said:
Zing said:
Oh yeah, its great for rehearsal/practice; I just modified the nameplate cuz I'm twisted like that...
HA! That's funny! I saw that you wrote "Rolaid" (which is why I thought you didn't like it - it gave you heartburn that required Rolaids or something) but I didn't notice the name plate in the pic.

I didn't see that when I looked at the AMP. :laughing-rolling:

I am using one of their amps for my CP 33.

Long story short - the first two V Pianos were damaged on arrival and, amongst other things, I really started to question Musician's Friend's inventory of these things. So I held off on a piano purchase for a while and decided to pursue accessories.

First up was the synth. This thing is wicked sick! The last synth I had would be almost 25 years old today. It had about 400 sounds and 375 of them were useless. This new Juno G-i has almost 1400 sounds and I'd say only about 200 are useless. But it's got a built in drum machine, 8 track recorder and a few other very cool bells and whistles, not to mention a very slick and intuitive interface. I haven't even opened the manual and I'm already recording drum patterns, editing sounds, layering sounds, creating Live Sets, etc.

rad60CC3.jpg

This little gizmo arrived today and I am most impressed with it. Out of the box, it's got 100 presets to achieve harmoines from the Eagles, CSNY, Journey, etc. Plus a number of combinations of 3 and 4-part harmonies using 3rds, 5ths, octave up and octave down as well as unison. Best of all, it's got genuine Lexicon effects built in.

vlivepro-ac8889227e298a8548d779ffbd4579fc.png

Of course, the Vocalist would be useless without this other guy that showed up today too. It's a damn shame I can't sing. :eusa-whistle:

akgd7.jpg

I really need to get on the stick and make a decision on a piano.

I've always wanted to play piano. I still have my Fender Jazz bass, but just not have stuck to it over the years like I should have.

Are you still going to try to get the V Piano? Unless it's just too cumbersome and heavy to move yourself, why not hit a local music store instead of taking a chance with MF's shipping blunders?

Zing said:
I haven't even opened the manual and I'm already recording drum patterns, editing sounds, layering sounds, creating Live Sets, etc.
That's probably the best way to do it. :laughing:

Zing said:
This little gizmo arrived today and I am most impressed with it. Out of the box, it's got 100 presets to achieve harmoines from the Eagles, CSNY, Journey, etc. Plus a number of combinations of 3 and 4-part harmonies using 3rds, 5ths, octave up and octave down as well as unison. Best of all, it's got genuine Lexicon effects built in.

vlivepro-ac8889227e298a8548d779ffbd4579fc.png
How does it emulate the different groups? Doesn't it take MIDI input from a keyboard to configure the chord? I had to giggle when you said you couldn't sing, need to pick up an Autotune box too!

Congrats on the new toys, that's always so much fun! :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

Pretend that you're talking to someone who is musically retarded and explain the difference between an electronic piano, a synthesizer, and a keyboard. Then explain how they work together.

Yesfan70 said:
Are you still going to try to get the V Piano? Unless it's just too cumbersome and heavy to move yourself, why not hit a local music store instead of taking a chance with MF's shipping blunders?

The jury is still out on that one. Clearly, that's the one I want. I spent the day playing the second one that arrived. It was absolutely incredible! As is its price. I could have ALL the gear I want and need for a home based CD-producing recording studio for less than the cost of just the V Piano so I'm still coming to grips the purchase. Its size and weight are not an issue for me as I have no plans of playing out. Local music store? That's funny. Buffalo, Cleveland and Pittsburgh aren't exactly local since the closest one is about 2 hours away.

Botch said:
How does it emulate the different groups? Doesn't it take MIDI input from a keyboard to configure the chord?

It does it a couple of ways. First, you can connect either a guitar via instrument cable or a keyboard via MIDI and it will generate the selected harmony based on the chords played by the instrument. The other option uses your voice through the mic. Sing a wrong note and it's 4 times as obvious.

Here's a demo. For those who don't want to watch the whole thing, the first example is at 1:13 and then he plays an entire song starting at 2:30.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbLSF0g7XGo[/youtube]

Towen7 said:
Pretend that you're talking to someone who is musically retarded and explain the difference between an electronic piano, a synthesizer, and a keyboard. Then explain how they work together.
If I understand what you're asking, an "electronic piano" has no hammers or strings yet produces a piano sound. Most "electronic pianos" have sampled sounds which were recorded from real pianos. A "synthesizer" creates sound by adjusting or modifying waveform parameters. A "keyboard" usually refers to a synth but can really be applied to anything that is played with keys.

As for them working together, you can connect multiple keyboards with a MIDI (musical instrument digital interface) cable and extract sounds from all of them by playing just one of them. I could play the piano but hear the piano, a bass guitar and a string section all at the same time. Queue up the drum machine and you've got a one-man band.

Zing said:
...........That's funny. Buffalo, Cleveland and Pittsburgh aren't exactly local since the closest one is about 2 hours away..........

I had the impression you lived in Philly. Surely Philly would have more to offer than Chattanooga.

I'm still confused about why you would use the piano and a synthesizer. Why not a single synthesizer that is capable of making sounds of the piano? Or is the piano unique in it's sound and customizability?

Towen7 said:
I'm still confused about why you would use the piano and a synthesizer. Why not a single synthesizer that is capable of making sounds of the piano? Or is the piano unique in it's sound and customizability?
For me, it's about the key action. Synthesizers typically have toy-like plastic keys (think of an organ). They're frail and flimsy and feel like you're going to break them, especially if you're a heavy-handed player like myself. Pianos on the other hand, have full-sized weighted keys and some are even made of wood just like you'd find on a real piano.

Many, many, many keyboardists do just what you describe. They'll buy an 88-key synth that has good piano sounds and just use that. Or they'll buy an 88-key controller (keyboard with no sounds) and connect it to sound modules, synths and PCs. More often than not, those types of people are gigging musicians and want to transport as few items as possible. I'm not going to gig. I just want to record the songs I've written.

I'm so envious of people with musical ability. My ADD prevents me from learning how to play music so I'll live vicariously thorough you.

Good luck on whatever is supposed to happen today.

Man Zing, you are going all out!!!

And the new addition is a Yamaha _________________ ?

heeman said:
And the new addition is a Yamaha _________________ ?
CP 5 :happy-smileygiantred:

Between this and the Roland V Piano, I definitely prefer the V Piano. It has better action and much better sounds but this CP 5 is no slouch and it was about $4K less.

Back