• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Keyboards

You're using a separate cable on each L/R output on the keyboard, that's good. I'm assuming each cable went into a separate channel on your mixer. The pan knobs on those two channels on the mixer now need to be panned hard Left and Right, do you have it set up that way?

If you have two channels, you should be able to get stereo; balanced cables won't get you anything different there (they're only there for better sound quality - less interference - in say a live sound or studio situation where you have longer cable runs and lots of other potentially interfering electronics). Are the two channels from the keyboard going to separate channels on the mixer? I would assume yes... There's probably a control on each and every channel of the mixer as to where that channel will go in the l/r of the final mix. Probably set to center by default. So if you want the keyboard's stereo output to be mirrored in the mix, you'd need to set the mixer channel connected to the keyboard left to all the way (or nearly) left in the mix, and similarly with the right.

Sorry, not trying to lecture.... just attempting to transfer how my pure analog mixer works to your situation.

I am using two separate cables and they are plugged into two separate channels on the mixer. And when I record, I have to press and hold the buttons for each channel and then select the track to put those two channels on. But what I haven't done is pan hard left/right for those channels. THANKS! :handgestures-thumbup:

Zing said:
I am using two separate cables and they are plugged into two separate channels on the mixer. And when I record, I have to press and hold the buttons for each channel and then select the track to put those two channels on. But what I haven't done is pan hard left/right for those channels. THANKS! :handgestures-thumbup:
Sounds great, dunnit? :music-listening:

Well, this got a whole lot more difficult. Then it got much easier.

I was kicking myself last night for not thinking about panning one channel to the left and the other channel to the right in order to have a stereo recording. So I went to take another crack at it last night and the first thing I noticed was - NO PANNING KNOBS! Ah shit! This means it's going to be some super complex, complicated menu-driven ordeal that'll take me 10 minutes to do 1 second worth of work, not to mention the time spent in the manual trying to learn what to do and where to do it. So I decided to watch The Voice instead. This morning however, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, I began the expected daunting task of reading through the manual to figure out how to do this. Thankfully it turned out to be even simpler than panning knobs. Just use the stereo tracks! DUH! :doh:

The last 8 tracks of this thing are dedicated stereo tracks. I just link inputs C and D with a single track labelled 13/14 and *voila* STEREO! :happy-smileygiantred: Spent almost all day recording and then playing it back upstairs through the stereo. Much, MUCH better than last night. The mono tracks are locked dead center and the stereo tracks are fat and wide.

Interesting side note: I recorded a track today with a synth patch called "Sub Bass". I lowered it by an octave and hit the lowest Eb I had. Let's just say that if any of you want ultimate subwoofer demo material, I can make it for you. YOWZA! I nearly did something involuntary and messy.

:handgestures-thumbup:

Sweet! (Except the involuntary and messy part...)

Back