• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Let's Have Some Fun With This

Batman

Staff member
Famous
As some of you may have read, while at CEDIA I saw a plethora of apps for the iPad to turn it into a fully functional universal remote. This is appealing to me for all kinds of reasons. I wound up purchasing one (ipad) while in Atlanta and have since begun the process of researching the best bang for the buck to begin this addition to my theater. If any of you would like to assist me in my search for the killer app for this, I would love to consider all input. And after settling on the software, getting it setup and operating properly...

So far I'm focusing on a control4 controller as they are affordable but I would like to incorporate something with a charging cradle... :think:

How "affordable" is the Control4 controller for a single room setup (HC-200)?

Towen7 said:
How "affordable" is the Control4 controller for a single room setup (HC-200)?
If I have to pay list price, $499, I am looking into signing up with control4 if this the product I decide on, I also have a connection at 6th Ave. There is no rush, as yromj has my URC working just fine, and the iPad does plenty of other things to keep me entertained...

I always thought the iPad would be a perfect controller for a digital library, is that what the control4 is?

Botch said:
I always thought the iPad would be a perfect controller for a digital library, is that what the control4 is?
Control4 is a company that produces control systems a la Crestron, Elan, Russound, RTI etc...I would imagine with enough manipulation that you could control many devices such as media servers and such, but I'm just beginning my search for the right products. I do know as far as my squeezebox is concerned, if none of the control systems work, I'm just a "squeemote" app away from controlling that too...anyone want to buy a duet remote? :happy-smileygiantred:

Know this though, whether it's a iPad, iPhone or an android device, these touch control devices are about to put a big hurt on the remote control industry as we know it. These companies had better begin to look into joining the app party fast!!!!

I've been dying to know more about (iPhone/iPad) remote control programs Bats so I'm in on this one for sure.

I think there are very detailed programs for the iPad, and a couple good looking ones for the iPhone too....

I haven't had the chance to download it yet, but there are a couple of apps for my EVO where I can control my Squeezebox. It supposed to have the artwork on the phone and everything.

I use an app called iPeng to control my Squeezebox via iPhone - it's pretty freakin' sweet. I tried Squeemote first but it kept jacking up - I'd select an artist and the albums for a different artist were listed. iPeng has worked flawlessly.

URC has some really cool IP based control products. They can send IR commands over TCP/IP and the bases then send them out via the IR flashers or even RF antennaes to other base stations or URC lighting.

The only real problem with solutions such as the URC products is the pricing. The remotes (or keypads) start @$1,500 and the base stations start @n $250 for the non-TCP/IP ones. I haven't seen the pricing for the MRX-1 (the IP addressable base station).

John

Batman said:
So far I'm focusing on a control4 controller as they are affordable but I would like to incorporate something with a charging cradle... :think:

You have more access to information than I do. I wasn't able to find any iPad charging mounts but I did stumble across an article that reported that Sonance had a patent on iPad/iPod wall mounts for charging and communicationg with a controller.

http://www.cepro.com/article/sonance_inwall_ipad_patent_is_ours/

Their's is marketed under the iPort name...
http://www.iportmusic.com/products/cm/CM-IW2000

I think you can use the iPad's wifi to talk to the Control4. If so you don't need a hardwire connection between the controller and the iPad so why not build a shallow recess or shelf into/on the wall and use a 120v-to-USB adapter with a regular iPad dock?
USBChargingSyncCradleDockStandStationforAppleiPad16G32G64GandiphonetouchBlack.jpg

Or use one of the commercially available surface mounts that have room for a cable.
Screen-shot-2010-08-10-at-40454-PM.png

What are the advantages of the Control4 over the URC products? I know the store that I work with is also considering doing some things w/ Control4, so I'd like to hear real opinions as opposed to sales jargon.

John

yromj said:
What are the advantages of the Control4 over the URC products? I know the store that I work with is also considering doing some things w/ Control4, so I'd like to hear real opinions as opposed to sales jargon.

John
John, I'm not necessarily locked in control4 just yet but they do seem to have the most affordable options right now...the advantage is (as far as the iPad is concerned) is that URC won't have any software until Q1 2011...URC may come out with something that trumps everyone but right now they have nothing to offer.

Tom, I'm not opposed to that at all if I have to go that route but I'm looking to mount it to one of my seats in an articulating mount and it would be great to keep it charged in such a mount. But if they aren't out there, I'll probably use a dock like the one you pictured and keep it docked near the entrance.

CMonster said:
I use an app called iPeng to control my Squeezebox via iPhone - it's pretty freakin' sweet. I tried Squeemote first but it kept jacking up - I'd select an artist and the albums for a different artist were listed. iPeng has worked flawlessly.

I got it last night. I wanted the remote from Squeezebox ($200 I think) then I heard about apps to do the same. Research suggested that iPeng was the way to go. So far it's worked flawlessly and I'm thrilled that I can control my Squeezebox from anywhere!

Batman said:
...the advantage is (as far as the iPad is concerned) is that URC won't have any software until Q1 2011...URC may come out with something that trumps everyone but right now they have nothing to offer.

I'm a little confused by that. URC is coming out w/ what type of software in Q1 11?

I know this is going to come off as "fanboy-ish" and I really don't want it to (URC has many problems of their own; not the least of which is cost); but, here goes:

What I was bringing up w/ URC doesn't require software. It requires a network (just as an iPad or any other app would) configured w/ static IP addresses (which would be the best no matter which network based control you were using). The advantage that I see for URC is that not only can you get 2 way data and control of things such as playlists, web-based media, etc., but also allows for standard IR commands to be sent via the same network. This means that you can control your entire system w/ the one device.

AFAIK, only companies such as Control4, Crestron, and URC are doing this. The apps for other devices such as the iPad can control the newer equipment which has network capabilities (and sometimes a limited set of commands) and you can sometimes add some IR functionality to some of these devices. However, the "be anywhere control everything" aspect requires implementation of standard IR functionality.

John

I was pertaining to downloadable app software (thru the itunes app store) specific to turning the iPad itself into a universal remote. When I went to URCs booth at cedia they said no such app would be available til next year...There are some other apps for the ipad/iphone that work with network based controllers from Global Cache, etc...

I would love to have the ability to fully control a system w/ an iPad. I would want to be able to use Windows Media Player instead of iTunes for my music library, though. There's also still the issue w/ not having to point the iPad to control the rest of the system.

John

yromj said:
I would love to have the ability to fully control a system w/ an iPad. I would want to be able to use Windows Media Player instead of iTunes for my music library, though. There's also still the issue w/ not having to point the iPad to control the rest of the system.

John
That's where wi-fi and a networked controller comes into play...

So that briongs us back to the availability of a controller. I'd really like to know more about Control4. Is it something that has to be programmed by a dealer?

Towen7 said:
So that briongs us back to the availability of a controller. I'd really like to know more about Control4. Is it something that has to be programmed by a dealer?
Unfortunately that is the case, I almost pulled the trigger last week, but the prices began to escalate FAST, and I still have research to do. I think more affordable options will be available if I wait a bit longer...Plus I have a mental block with paying someone now to do something I can learn and apply to ways to make $$

Back