• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Maybe a projector in my future

That's Tee's room, he had a mitsu, and recently upgraded to a Sharp last Christmas over a year ago...

Yeah, when that pic was taken, I think Tee was running an InFocus projector. I think the last time I saw him he was still running a Mitsubishi projector.

It's a bad ass room.

jomari said:
you cant just turn it off and on at will. at least an hour worth of running, until a good shutdown is in order. cooling down isnt that bad,
This isn't entirely true.

The length of time it runs is irrelevant. If you want to run it for 5 minutes and shut it off, go right ahead. It may take 5, 10 or even 15 minutes to reach its optimum image quality but that's about it. What you shouldn't do is turn it on immediately after turning it off. It does need a proper cool-down period before it's powered up again. However, I don't know of a projector that doesn't have a fail-safe in an auto-cool-down period preventing you from being able to do that. And even if your electricity goes out and comes right back on, the projector won't automatically turn on. It's at this point you'd want to wait 5 or 10 minutes before turning it on again.

During my reseach in that price range, the Epson 8350, Mits 4000, and Benq w6000 are top on my list at 1200 bucks or so. Or, a refurb 8700 Epson if you can still find them (they were going for 1500). I think, as 3D is hitting every pj, 2d quality may not improve over the next few years.....mainly brightness. If I had 2500, I'd go epson 5010 all the way.

Yesfan70 said:
Yeah, when that pic was taken, I think Tee was running an InFocus projector. I think the last time I saw him he was still running a Mitsubishi projector.

It's a bad ass room.

Ah, now i remember, it IS an infocus. infocus 4805 i think.

Zing said:
jomari said:
you cant just turn it off and on at will. at least an hour worth of running, until a good shutdown is in order. cooling down isnt that bad,
This isn't entirely true.

The length of time it runs is irrelevant. If you want to run it for 5 minutes and shut it off, go right ahead. It may take 5, 10 or even 15 minutes to reach its optimum image quality but that's about it. What you shouldn't do is turn it on immediately after turning it off. It does need a proper cool-down period before it's powered up again. However, I don't know of a projector that doesn't have a fail-safe in an auto-cool-down period preventing you from being able to do that. And even if your electricity goes out and comes right back on, the projector won't automatically turn on. It's at this point you'd want to wait 5 or 10 minutes before turning it on again.

I just remembered its not good to turn it off and on or something like that. im outdated and pretty much obsolete when it comes to pj's. i didnt have much know-how in the first place either.

I think it was Home Theater that recently reviewed the JVC x30 and the Epson 5010. To my utter amazement the reviewer wasn't fond of the Epson's 2D performance and raved about its 3D capabilities. And the exact opposite for the JVC...not entirely sure if the same guy reviewed both units though...perhaps the panny is a better 2D performer in the 2500 and under range? I'm not sure, depends on your priorities...one thing is for sure, each year the game changes drastically for just about all projectors south of $3500.

Btw, for anyone in the market for a sub-$2k projector, as soon as I get the spare funds, my JVC will be available (DLA-HD100) as my sights are set on the JVC x70 or x90...my projector will best most of the projectors mentioned in this thread for less money since its used.

Well. house has been for sale and we have had 5 showings and one no show so We are doing well. No takers yet. Also the seller of the house we have our eye on just dropped the price by $10k. Must be getting ansy to sell.

Bottom line, if I can make this transaction happen soon, then I too would be greatly interested in your projector Bats.

Not to sound like an ignoramous but aside from getting a bigger picture (96"?) is there any other reason why I would want a projector over, say a 60" tv? Just trying out my options here.

The "Big-screen theater feel" you accomplish only with a projector, to me that goes hand-in-hand with BIG sound, the ability to swap out the screen if you choose to go larger w/o spending a lot of money (comparatively speaking) the value is untouchable when you think about $/inch of screen real estate...of course it's not always easily implemented or practical but once you own and experience a 100+" image in 1080p I can't imagine anyone saying "I wish I had gone with the 60 incher"...

nicely put as well.

for what its worth, if i had the opportunity to set up my pj again, in a decent home theater dedicated living space, owning a house, etc... id definitely be using my pj a lot more even if its still a 720p.

theres always a difference 'experiencing' a bigger screen. sure the booms can be louder, the screen a bit bigger, but i believe (and this is all opinion btw), that somehow a lcd/led dedicated tv monitor cannot give compared to a 120 inch screen. its mind blowing knowing, seeing its a projector, like a traditional theater might be.

Since no one is willing to say it I will.

Maximo you ARE an ignoramous. But besides that you will love havinga projector.

You guys have absolutely convinced me. If I buy a new house I will dedicate a good chunk of my budget to a quality front projection system. To support that properly I will likely be buying a new receiver, but that should about do it. I am really looking forward to that experience. Here is what I am looking at right now:

1. Quality 1080p lcd or lcos projector @$2000-$2500
2. New Onkyo 709 @$500
3. New screen (???) depends on application.
4. New comfy couch. My current couch/recliner setup is too comfy because I fall asleep during football games. Seriously, didn't see one entire game last season.
5. MIGHT up grade my fronts to bigger towers.
6. Definitely take a serious approach to getting the subwoofer right.

After attending T7's GTG and then yromj's, I am really, really impressed with the projector/large screen experience......and is one of my long term goals, to have one in a dedicated HT Room.

I recently up sized my Plasma from 42" to 59" and the improvement was great, however nothing that could compare to a 100 + inch projector/screen combo.

:twocents-mytwocents:

From one cheap skate to another regarding the cost of a screen... I mean no offense to anyone with a "nice screen" but if you can deal with a relatively limited selection of sizes, I wouldnt recommend spending much more than the cost of an Elite screen (available on Amazon). Last I checked 95 and 110 were the only options for fixed screens. They are very well built and easy to assemble and hang.

Batman said:
The "Big-screen theater feel" you accomplish only with a projector, to me that goes hand-in-hand with BIG sound, the ability to swap out the screen if you choose to go larger w/o spending a lot of money (comparatively speaking) the value is untouchable when you think about $/inch of screen real estate...of course it's not always easily implemented or practical but once you own and experience a 100+" image in 1080p I can't imagine anyone saying "I wish I had gone with the 60 incher"...

yromj said:
:text-goodpost: :text-+1:

Those are exactly my thoughts.

John

Zing said:
Sounds more like a projector owner.

The only thing I can add to those comments is, I have a 50 plasma upstairs that I tend to watch more than my 93" projector downstairs. Even though the plasma gets more use, I still think nothing gets you closer to that big screen feel than a projector.

My projo is only a 720p model, but it's more than good enough for me to hold on to for a while. I'm hoping for something with more lamp life. I think if I could get a projo that can run as long as a typical flatscreen TV before giving out (no bulbs to replace), I would take that over 3D and maybe even 1080p performance.

Back