• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Maybe a projector in my future

Maximo

We don't have a new house yet, but hopefully soon. Wife brought up the idea of a projector. What's a good bang for your buck projector these days?

I've learned that bang for the buck is relative to the number of bucks in the equation.

What's your price range?

Guilty as charged. I like a deal. Don't have a price range yet. Thinking 1500 to 2500

Gonna mount it to my ceiling fan...

You can still get an Epson 8350 and they're currently less than $1200 on Amazon. That's one hell of a projector and even better at that price. You'd have to spend closer to $2K to beat it (such as the Panasonic AE4000).

Now that is waht I am talking about! My thin is, I don't know what to look for in a "better" projector.

Its environment and predominant use will have the biggest impacts on what model you should consider.

Are you going to use it a lot during daylight hours in a room with windows?

Are you going to use it mainly for movies in a light-controlled room?

A lot of sports?

How big of a screen do you want?

Where/how are you going to mount it?

Do you mind if its lamp life is 2000 hours and spending $350 to replace it or would you like it if it was 5000 hours and $200 to replace it?

All of these and more need to be answered before getting the perfect projector for you but there's no such thing as the perfect projector. PJs are all about concessions and compromises.

zings pretty much got it down to a science, but id also consider that when you start using it as your primary theater display, you cant just turn it off and on at will. at least an hour worth of running, until a good shutdown is in order. cooling down isnt that bad, but what i know is probably outdated at this point.

anyways, consider your mount, throw and the room location as a reference.

last thing to consider is that when you buy the projector, ALWAYS include the cost of the extra bulb in the long run. at least you dont have to worry about not having a replacement in two three years.

Max, if you want to spend the least and get the most, the Epson 8350 is the ticket, unless you can find a Mitsubishi HC4000. That's a DLP system and likely $500 less than the Epson.

In all honesty though, if you're willing to spend $2000, up your budget by $600 and pick up a Panny AE7000 or an Epson 5010. Both of those compete with the JVCs priced at $3500 and up.

I'd make you own screen. That will let you put more money on the projo. If don't want to DIY the screen, then Carada gets my vote.

dont forget the ever so faithful $16.99 100 inch screen (as long as your location is within the right side of the rockies),

it works wonders.

id also consider the minimum of 720p as well...

who was that pj back then, the ever so famous one? darn it, was it towen? the one in the red attic room...

i hate my memory.

jomari said:
.........who was that pj back then, the ever so famous one? darn it, was it towen? the one in the red attic room...

i hate my memory.

Don't know. I have T7's old projector. I don't remember him having a red couch. The only red couch I remember anyone having is rockemsockem's couch, but he's been mia for years now.

Well, if I get the house I want, I have a wall to rip down in the bonus room so throw will not be an issue as I intend on doing major surgey to the ceiling now that my drywalling skills are up to snuff. At the very least I will runn cable for all seven speakers plus sub. Now that I think about it, if I do that I will need to start a new thread on optimal sub locations for the new room andd THEN run the subwoofer cables in the ceiling.

Depending on how things go I can do A LOT to this room before needing to purchase projector and if I wire it right I should be able to be very flexible on the ceiling mount location.

Just a thought, if I do the work on the ceiling that I want, I may put in some kind of local exhaust ventilation in the attic. Where I can have a high flow fan aboce the ceiling sucking hot air from the projector so that the fan noise doesn't get out of hand.

Oh man this could be fun.

Another thought, since I am pretty hapy with the rest of my system I realy only will need the projector, screen and new receiver. Doubt it will be anything but an Onkyo seven hundred series.

Yesfan70 said:
jomari said:
.........who was that pj back then, the ever so famous one? darn it, was it towen? the one in the red attic room...

i hate my memory.

Don't know. I have T7's old projector. I don't remember him having a red couch. The only red couch I remember anyone having is rockemsockem's couch, but he's been mia for years now.

it wasnt a red couch, it was red curtains, two chairs, two svs cylinders flanking the mains and centers. then a small looking area for seating, thats why it reminded me of an attic.

i think that is towens...

jomari said:
Yesfan70 said:
jomari said:

i hate my memory.

it wasnt a red couch, it was red curtains, two chairs, two svs cylinders flanking the mains and centers. then a small looking area for seating, thats why it reminded me of an attic.

i think that is towens...

That sounds like Tee's media room to me. I can't recall anyone else here with dual cylinders flanking the screen.

I'll never forget the first time I attended a GTG. It was at Tee's house and I was running late. When I arrived they were all screening a movie. Tee has really good light control and his room is pitch black. It was a really sunny day and when I stepped from the sun into his room I couldn't see shit for like 5 mins. Tee had to take me by the arm and direct me to a chair. I must have looked like a fool!

its been ages but i remember this room quite fondly. it was the theater i aspired to have, aside from Soundhounds...

993.jpg

i think the pj i was recalling was the beloved epson 4805 he had...

Back