• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Need a new remote

Finally got the new 650 today (bloody fedex). So far so good, a quick update with the programming software, and it was mostly good to go. It didn't transfer over some of the special button settings, but I guess that's normal since I mapped some functions onto the physical buttons of the earlier remote, that didn't have an exact equivalent on the new one. So a few tweaks, but now it's working fine. So far I like it a lot; despite it being nominally in the same series as my previous 620/670, it's clearly got an updated look and feel, the whole thing is just completely different. I mean, functionally it's about the same with physical buttons and a small led display for some of the device/activity menus, but the button layout is pretty different, and the whole thing has a completely new look and feel to it - different shape, different (IMHO better) button feel, much more sleek and modern.

So far I'm happy with it, for a $60 remote it seems like a great deal so far. Now we'll just hope it lasts more than a couple of years. ;)

Ok one very minor complaint: it uses a special thin USB cord, rather than the standard mini-USB, so now I have to keep track of an extra USB cable... Why couldn't they have just a standard one? It only uses up another mm or so of space.

PaulyT said:
... Why couldn't they have just a standard one? It only uses up another mm or so of space.

A better question is why so many variants of USB. I had to give in and buy one of those coupler kits as I have a few USB devices that are all different. It's better than having 20 different cords of the same connection when I need to plug something into the ole PC.

Yesfan70 said:
PaulyT said:
... Why couldn't they have just a standard one? It only uses up another mm or so of space.

A better question is why so many variants of USB. I had to give in and buy one of those coupler kits as I have a few USB devices that are all different. It's better than having 20 different cords of the same connection when I need to plug something into the ole PC.
They do the same thing with 9V wall warts, there has to be at least 25 different "tips" on the ends of those things. Same thing with bathroom faucet nozzles, 3 different sizes all within 3/32" of each other... :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Botch said:
Yesfan70 said:
PaulyT said:

They do the same thing with 9V wall warts, there has to be at least 25 different "tips" on the ends of those things. Same thing with bathroom faucet nozzles, 3 different sizes all within 3/32" of each other... :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Wall warts suck. Because of them I don't take some power cords (like for printers) for granted where the "wart" is centered in the power cable.

Ooooohhh - just noticed, now that it's no longer full daylight in the HT, that when you pick up or move the remote, the buttons automatically glow (and the screen turns on). Very, very cool! Ok it's a small thing but I like it.

PaulyT said:
Ooooohhh - just noticed, now that it's no longer full daylight in the HT, that when you pick up or move the remote, the buttons automatically glow (and the screen turns on). Very, very cool! Ok it's a small thing but I like it.

Sometimes the small things mean a lot.

Besides the price difference, what made you not go for the One?

The charging station, actually. I have a million rechargeable batteries, and don't feel like having to set up a separate device just to charge the remote. And some reviewers have complained about the batteries and/or connection to the charger failing after a while.

But mainly it was the price vs. general feature list; I thought the One would be overkill for my needs, that in this case simpler is better.

That IS cool. My much more expensive URC remotes don't have light sensors.

Sounds like you made a good buy.

Dunno if it actually has a light sensor... it could just be that in full light I didn't notice the glow, which is not the entire button but just the little symbols/labels. I'll check when it's daytime again tomorrow.

The Controller for the Squeezebox Duet does the same thing. It comes on whenever it is moved or picked up. I like that.

I farted around with a number of remotes for years, then I purchased a "One", threw the rest in the trash.

Rope

Very cool, Pauly!! Maybe one day you will step over to the dark side. :eusa-whistle:

John

Back