• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Netflix Streaming

I would only use VUDU to supplement netflix. But to be honest, as much as I like the service, I have only used it once. I have a wife who seems to not really care about watching the latest and greatest or moives at all. So I am pretty much on my won with this whole deal.

I'm enjoying the Netflix streaming quite a lot. I have a Roku unit in the bedroom running wireless and never an issue. I'm only using a s/d connection and the pq is quite acceptable. I need to hook it up with and HDMI cable to see if it hiccups at all with the higher bandwith.

Glad the PS3 is doesn't need the disc anymore.

I have the Netflix one DVD at a time deal and I like the streaming. My son uses his PS3 I think...he's got a Wii and Xbox but I know nothing about game consoles. I just have my laptop connected to my 32" with HDMI and it looks pretty good. I still prefer watching DVD and Blu-ray. I also have the Blockbuster one at a time deal with 5 in-store because my wife likes to pick out movies in the store. I pay $21 per month for having both Netflix and Blockbuster.

I stream NetFlix using wii before but now use the new Apple TV only because I can use the iPad as a qwerty keyboard when searching for titles. I need to update my Wii Firmware now that is doesn't need the disc to stream Netflix.

After cutting cable and using Netflix and Hulu as my sole source of TV for more than a month now...I have to say that if I had to choose one over the other I'd go with Netflix. While there are no current season episodes, the sheer volume and variety of content makes it a better value IMHO.

Towen7 said:
After cutting cable and using Netflix and Hulu as my sole source of TV for more than a month now...I have to say that if I had to choose one over the other I'd go with Netflix. While there are no current season episodes, the sheer volume and variety of content makes it a better value IMHO.

Thanks for the info. I checked out Hulu's website for a few minutes the other day and I was a little underwhelmed. Not so much by the content, but how to find it. IMHO, that's one thing that Netflix does right: let you find something multiple ways.

John

There some discussion in a couple of different threads about Netflix streaming DD5.1 lately so I googled it. It seems that 5.1 wasn't available at all until October of this year. As of now, it also appears that the only deviced that will receive 5.1 is the PS3. I haven't seen anything about a timeframe for other devices.

John

Yeah, I can confirm that DD5.1 is available from the PS3, at least for some stuff.

Pauly, at least that may help in your BD player quest, though. It appears that as of right now, nothing else streams 5.1 so you can mark that off your checklist.

John

confirming as well, the ps3 can stream SOME of their content in 5.1, but a rarity. the only one ive seen as of late is the girl who played with fire.

i enjoy netflix streaming, and actually am considering lowering our cost of 16.99 a month (i think thats what it cost), to 9.99 because we've been using the streaming more often than getting the dvds. the last one i got was something i already streamed.

oddly enough, im not sure if we can stream unlimited with such account.

jomari said:
confirming as well, the ps3 can stream SOME of their content in 5.1, but a rarity. the only one ive seen as of late is the girl who played with fire.

i enjoy netflix streaming, and actually am considering lowering our cost of 16.99 a month (i think thats what it cost), to 9.99 because we've been using the streaming more often than getting the dvds. the last one i got was something i already streamed.

oddly enough, im not sure if we can stream unlimited with such account.

After the first of the year you can get an unlimited streaming account with no discs for just $8/month.

I just cut mine back to 2 BD's at a time, there are still new releases I would like to see/hear in full HD.

Netflix unlimited Streaming is $7.99 a mo.

Thats the account option I have and I've been able to stream to 3 devices simoultaneously.

DIYer said:
How is the audio quality for whatever is currently available?

Depends on the device you are using to stream. The Wii only has RCA outputs so you are limited there. The Roku XDS has an HDMI and optical outputs. I use the optical and pass it thru my pre/pro, sounds not bad about DVD quality. Not sure what sound you get thru HDMI. Not sure about the PS3 or Xbox.

mzpro5] After the first of the year you can get an unlimited streaming account with no discs for just $8/month. I just cut mine back to 2 BD's at a time said:
Netflix unlimited Streaming is $7.99 a mo.

Thats the account option I have and I've been able to stream to 3 devices simoultaneously.

hmm. i think this wouldnt work then for me... :( i have around four i think that are streaming... hmm. will read thru further.

The audio quality isnt the best id have to say for those in 5.1, you still are essentially streaming, so its also based on your bandwidth. (in my case, it probably is the reason why it sucks. :p)

jomari said:
hmm. i think this wouldnt work then for me... :( i have around four i think that are streaming... hmm. will read thru further.

You can stream to all 4 devices w/o issue. If you have enough bandwidth, you can stream to all 4 devices simultaneously.

John

does anyone know if I can use my Netflix account in any home with a streaming device?

-B- said:
does anyone know if I can use my Netflix account in any home with a streaming device?

I would think so, but the catch is going to be that the device will be registered to your account and I don't know about changing it to a different account.

I've never thought about this before, but ROKUs are quite small and easily portable. They're especially portable if the power cord is detachable and some sort of standard cord.

John

Back