• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Netflix Streaming

Number one the headline to the article is very sensationalistic and misleading - could have been in the Nat'l Enquirer. Netflix has not "abandoned" disc rentals and I doubt they will anytime in the near future.

The article refers to 2 years down the line. Think back 2 years ago. Who knows what will be going on 2 years from now?

I am spending the majority of my viewing time watching streaming materials since I got a decent device but like others have stated until they can stream BD quality to my home I will be getting discs.

i guess which brings me to the question of buying media versus all these channels we have nowadays to 'stream' or rent movies. does it matter when you think about buying a new movie, or make you second guess a purchase?

of course the quality is in question, but for the essence of watching something down the line, is it really worth it?

for me, if i know, i am certain that i will watch this movie at least 3 times in a year, then its a solid purchase, if not... well the novelty part does sink in (read:avatar)...

jomari said:
i guess which brings me to the question of buying media versus all these channels we have nowadays to 'stream' or rent movies. does it matter when you think about buying a new movie, or make you second guess a purchase?

of course the quality is in question, but for the essence of watching something down the line, is it really worth it?

for me, if i know, i am certain that i will watch this movie at least 3 times in a year, then its a solid purchase, if not... well the novelty part does sink in (read:avatar)...

I see it as giving me better options to have when considering a purchase.

I had never seen Firefly or Serenity but after viewing them via NF streaming I went out and got used copies of the BD's because it is something I want to view again in the highest possible quality.

I think I will end up doing more of this type of thing, cutting down on purchased discs I never really watch by reviewing them via streaming.

Right now I buy about 2-3 movies a year. There is just nothing I like enough anymore. Add to that I watch on 42" tv's so regular hd streams are fine from netflix and vudu looks really nice.

If I had a dedicated theater with a projector feeding a 100" screen I might purchase a handful, but even then BD rentals suffice. I just don't care much anymore, I won't rewatch movies like I listen to music, so I'd rather spend my money on that.

I'll buy usually the kid movies, ie pixar stuff, how to train your dragon, etc, but usually will not buy other movies because I know I won't watch that much. Although, I do have trouble turning down a good deal, like fight club for $10.
Rob

-B- said:
........I won't rewatch movies like I listen to music, so I'd rather spend my money on that.

Same here. Movies I do love, yeah I want a hard copy of that. other stuff I don't mind streaming it.

I do not want it to where listening to music is mostly streaming or downloading a lesser quality version.

see thats the thing, with so many options of late, i havent really got myself to buying a movie or two unless i really enjoy it.

ive seen fight club hit 10 bucks as well, but even the heavy hitters that i have on dvd already, i tend to pass on for some reason. maybe its just me, maybe im learning to be more er... 'realistic' when it comes to movie watching.

i havent done it lately, until last night. tried to watch dejavu once again, this time i actually opened my blu-ray copy to get me 'in the mood'.

sure was pretty, but i dunno... i guess i want that awe and splendor you get when you look at those new displays at best buy or what not.

(even when you know the contrast levels are all pumped up, and of course brightness to the max).

anyways, just cahootin, thats all.

I just checked my que, and I have quite a few that are long waits or delayed releases. If and when Redbox gets a little deeper bluray collection, I may make the switch. I'm only watching on average a movie a week, and stream very little, so that would probably make for a better econimic situation. Although we are only talking about $10, so I guess it's no biggie either way.
Rob

I think the "delayed release " thing has hurt NF more than anything else. After seeing how many movies that are currently available to buy but not on NF I am seriously considering going to streaming only. (which may be what NF really wants us all to do)

Yesfan70 said:
-B- said:
........I won't rewatch movies like I listen to music, so I'd rather spend my money on that.

Same here. Movies I do love, yeah I want a hard copy of that. other stuff I don't mind streaming it.

I do not want it to where listening to music is mostly streaming or downloading a lesser quality version.

I see music streaming as a substitute for listening to the radio. XM/Sirius internet feeds, Pandora, Slacker, etc all have better sound quality than FM. I do not see streaming as a replacement for owning CDs, because none of it is streamed in a lossless format. If music on demand services like Rapsody were lossless, I would probably use one to supplement my CD collection.

i guess thats why i dont load anything new on my phone anymore. i DO put in some new country from time to time, as well as my pathetic collection of billy joel and elton john.

the wierd part is, im planning on bringing my old dvd player to the office, to play some movies i have on dvd (i dont know how to rip audio from a dvd)

Back