• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New amp needed

goaliechris

Hi all,

A few months ago, like 7, I took in my Rotel amp (rub 1095) to a dealer to have them send back to Rotel to see if they could help with a hum the amp was either generating or "broadcasting" through the speakers (picking up the hum from the plasma I think, ground loop, black magic, etc…).

Time passed, Rotel said nothing was wrong with it, and I told the dealer to send it back and I would pick it up. This dealer is an hour away from me and I didn't get back there for a while (months). I went in, it's not there. Basically it looks like it was accidentally sold to someone else but they are still investigating. Yep. But they are a good group, I believe it was an honest mistake (due to poor organizational skills and my lateness in picking it up. And no they never called to tell me to get my ass in there and pick it up).

One of 2 things is going to happen - they will buy me a new-used Rotel amp, or cut me a check/store credit. I will take the latter because I have read numerous posts about the Rotel hum in this amp. I know it does have something to do with this amp because I have a much older Sherbourn 5 channel amp that does not do this. I intend to have a 7.1 system so I was going to put the Rotel back into service.

So I need a new 2 channel amp that I will use to drive my Dynaudio Contour S3.4 main speakers - used for both audio and HT. I used to have a Bryston then stupidly sold it. Loved the Bryston but not sure I want to spend that kind of money. Any suggestions? Was initially thinking of Parasound A21. I have been out of the audio/ht game for a long time as everything was working well so not as familiar with the products as I used to be.

Update - the store called back and offered me $850 store credit for the Rotel (which is what they sold it for + tax). It was originally purchased in 2006 so not a bad deal.

Thanks for the help!

Parasound certainly seem to be one of the better amps out there right now and I don't think you can go wrong there.

I love my ATI 1505 and I don't think you would go wrong with ATI either.

I picked mine up used for $750 shipped, if my memory serves me correctly, and if you get a good used one that solves your dilemma of shelling out the big bucks for a new one.

Are you planning on going used or new? Every amp I own (5) have been purchased used. Three Brystons and two Parasounds. Canuckaudiomart.com ( surprisingly it is called usaudiomart.com) is now available to Americans. I saw a Bryston 4bSST listed for 2100. Subtract your 850...not a bad deal!! Still 12 years warranty on it!!! Tempting!!!!
Mike

EDIT: My bad, I didn't see you were getting store credit!! Since you mentioned Bryston and Parasound, I assume those are the two brands they carry in the store where you are getting the credit?

I think it's complete crap that there offering you a store credit. They should be paying you cash so you can purchase your next amp wherever you find the best deal.

That being said, I think you're right on track with the Parasound A21.

parasound_front.JPG

Rope

Another vote for Parasound. Bryston is too expensive for typical consumer use, IMO.

Very nice, thank you. The a21 is definitely an option. It's a big boy!

Pretty sure I have the option of cash but they carry some good brands, like Bryston. Still, the used option is very appealing as good amps last a very long time. I would not be buying the Bryston 4B new - just too much for my application.

They also have a used Dynaudio SCX that I have had my eye on for years to possibly replace my SC which I would sell after.

Everything I have read about Parasound has been positive. They don't carry it so would need to find one or buy blind on a used one.

What happened? that wasn't what I was posting in and now I cannot remove the post

mcad64 said:
Every amp I own (5) have been purchased used.
Reading that got me thinking...

I just did a count. I currently own twelve (12) stereo power amps, and of those I only bought one of them new: in 1978!

Jeff

Regarding the OP: if I had cash, and if I wanted to buy a brand new (not new used) amp, I'd probably check out Outlaw Audio first. If I had a store credit, I think I'd squeeze the most value out of it by buying something used from them. Basically assuming a solid build quality (and a used amp that's been thoroughly checked-out/adjusted in the store's shop) the decision for me comes down to W/$. $850 should buy an awful lot of used watts!

With that amount of money, why take the risk with used. Get a new one and forget about it.

Many of the big name amplifiers are either part supplied or manufactured by Amplifier Technologies Incorporated (ATI).

Rope

I have an ATI 1802 for my s3.4's and it has performed very well. Plenty of power and dead quiet noise floor. 4 years and no issues. It leaves me wanting nothing.

jamhead said:
I have an ATI 1802 for my s3.4's and it has performed very well. Plenty of power and dead quiet noise floor. 4 years and no issues. It leaves me wanting nothing.

Ditto for my ATI 1804 - bought it used on Ebay for $775. You can't go wrong with one of these.

Thanks for the ATI recommendations - don't know much about them and would not have considered them before.

There are a lot of great used options out there on audiogon and usaudiomart. The trouble with that is while most are honest, it's not easy spending that kind of money to have someone ship me a used amp. I've always been intrigued by Proceed and there's a nice looking HPA 3 channel out there.

Still, I think a new or slightly used Proceed or ATI is the way to go.

I've had the Contour speakers since 2003 or 2004. Now that I am changing some things around and have a new space, the upgrade bug is hitting hard. I have an opportunity to buy a used Dyn SCX center from that dealer at a reasonable price. It's been in service for awhile in their ht room but it's in good condition. After selling my current SC center, it would be close to a wash. Then that has me thinking that I could sell the 3.4s and get a pair do the C1s I have always wanted. It's been a long time since I had the itch to do anything but it's pretty powerful right now!

Back