• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New Blu-Ray

If you want to connect it wirelessly you are going to have to buy the wireless adapter so that it can communicate with your wireless router.

Personally, Im not a huge fan of wireless unless a wired connection is simply not an option.

"WiFi adapter ready", meaning a WiFi adapter, or bridge is required for wireless use. I'd connect via Ethernet cable and be done, unless your router is 10 miles away.

Rope

Ok thank you for the response. I don't have a router just a modem. So it sounds like I have to pick up a router who makes a decent one that's not a lot of coin. I run cheap! Just not so much on the speakers!

I use a Netgear router and several Netgear switches but D-link and Linksys are popular as well.

I recently replaced my old router with a Cisco Valet and it is great.

Easiest setup I have ever seen. They include a thumb drive with all the setup info all you have to do is plug it in.

I usually prefer Linksys (I use the E series but the Valets are great too) then Netgear then D-Link. I've had a little trouble w/ D-Link stuff (both routers and switches) and far less w/ Linksys and Netgear. (NOTE: Cisco make Linksys and Netgear makes D-Link.)

As for the connection: run a wire. You may cuss us while you're running it, but you'll thank us later. Wi-Fi for streaming etc. just isn't nearly as reliable as a wire.

John

deerhunter,

just a thought,

how much would the adapter cost, add that with the current cost of the blu-ray player, would it cost more than one with wifi built in?

maybe returning it instead, buying something that had it built in would be more cost efficient.

you can give it a shot when you get the router...

:twocents-mytwocents:

+1 on running the cable, my wifi Appletv in the theater, and closest wifi device to the router, was having the most trouble of any wifi device in the house for picking up the signal. Probably due to the fact it's placed in the metal equipment cabinet. I ran a cable to hardwire it and it works flawlessly with much less hiccups...

My recommendation for this usually does not get much attention, but the if you are going to run wire, the powerline adapters work great in place of running wire. One unit at the internet connection hub, and then and additional 4 port hub where ever you want to share that connection. I have three of them in my house and they truly are plug and play. These are the ones I am using, although maybe Linksys has gotten out of making them, not sure. Amazon

Ive used those with mixed results. As a matter of fact I have a few laying around that I dontplan on using anytime soon. LMK if you want to try them out.

I am just going to run a wire set up. I am only running it 20' max. The adapter is $80 from Sony and from what I have seen it will cost less money to do it that way. And since it was a B-Day gift from my wife I don't want to take it back for another-one. She try's hard to get the one she knows I will like.

Towen7 thanks for the offer, but with my two little ones, I don't want to take the chance that they will mark it up since its in the bedroom where they play.

They just called for me to hurry up watching Bambi on Blu-Ray

DH -

I've got a Linksys "B" series router that you're more than welcome to.

Rope

Rope said:
DH -

Rope

I will take you up on that Rope. I am getting pushed out the door right now. So I will pm you when I get back. Thanks! How much would you like for it?

Towen7 said:
Ive used those with mixed results. As a matter of fact I have a few laying around that I dontplan on using anytime soon. LMK if you want to try them out.

I might be interested. What brand and how much are you looking for them?

Deerhunter said:
Rope said:
DH -

Rope

I will take you up on that Rope. I am getting pushed out the door right now. So I will pm you when I get back. Thanks! How much would you like for it?

Nodda, you furnish the address and postage, it's yours.

Rope

Huey said:
Towen7 said:

I might be interested. What brand and how much are you looking for them?

Netgear
I think I have 3 (maybe 4) of the single line adapters and one 4 port adapter. I'll round the m up tonight and confirm. I'll send you a PM once I get my hands on em'.

I guess I haven't been following the specs and features for the latest BD players. The 2 year old Sony BDP-S560 that I use in the family room HT came with wireless built in. I guess they're taking that feature out of the lower end models (and making it a costly extra). In any case I only wanted the wireless feature because it was going to be a pain to run a cable to it - and it's only ever used for automatic firmware updates anyhow.

Jeff

Back