• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New Receiver Comparison

i will certainly take all your suggestions into considerations, and rethink, i am not audio savvy by all means of immagination, i got a lot of help from you guys in upgrading my HT two items comes to mind, the blueray and sub. so should i spend most of my bucks on a good amp, and not so on the processor? i will be willing to spend good money on an amp if that would be the case. thanks again.

Batman said:
I think Onkyo MAY be phasing out the "pro" line, just a vibe I get. If you go to onkyo's regular website, you can now view what once believed to be "pro" only 5508 preamp and their new 9-channel amp (model # escapes me as I type this) I'll find a link(s)

Preamp :text-link:

Amplifier :text-link:
you got my attention here Bat, i will revisite Onkyo this time at an another dealership

Sailor said:
i will certainly take all your suggestions into considerations, and rethink, i am not audio savvy by all means of immagination, i got a lot of help from you guys in upgrading my HT two items comes to mind, the blueray and sub. so should i spend most of my bucks on a good amp, and not so on the processor? i will be willing to spend good money on an amp if that would be the case. thanks again.

Listening environment and speakers make up 90 to 95% if what you're hearing, the other 5 -10% is the source gear/electronics. You don't need an $8,000.00 Anthem preamp, or a $15,000.00 Krell power amp, unless of course you want to impress the hell out of the ankle humpers. Be concerned with low noise floor, features, and ergonomics. I consider electronics "black boxes" since there are very, very few who can identify sonic differences between them.

Rope

Sailor said:
Batman said:
I think Onkyo MAY be phasing out the "pro" line, just a vibe I get. If you go to onkyo's regular website, you can now view what once believed to be "pro" only 5508 preamp and their new 9-channel amp (model # escapes me as I type this) I'll find a link(s)

Preamp :text-link:

Amplifier :text-link:
you got my attention here Bat, i will revisite Onkyo this time at an another dealership

If you decide to get an Onkyo we can help. I'm guessing the salesman at that place would rather sell you something with a higher margin.

ANTHEM MRX700
Anthem-MRX700.jpg

http://www.home-theatre-systems.net...-and-mrx-700-3d-ready-home-theater-receivers/

like an ice cream cone on a hot day . . . .

EDIT: ~ the MRX500 would run your system very nicely . . . all in one nice pkg for only $1500
You'd still have yourself a comparable high-end Reciver, and for less money.

The never-ending question . . . receivers vs. separates.

What the hell, I like receivers, and have one ... albeit connected to two outboard amps. - So I'm only a step away from a pre/pro

As Rope posted, the vast majority of your listening pleasure will come from your loudspeakers and room treatments.

No matter which way you ultimately go, remember, . . .
(as Soundhound says) . . "Buy the good stuff"

Oh, to Sailor. Batman in this thread and myself have probably supplied 80% of the Onkyo processors to the members of this forum. If you decide that onkyo suits your needs send one of us a private message.

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR4310CI-7 ... 343&sr=8-2

$980 bucks ain't bad right there.

Networking capability opens up your AV system to audio and jpeg photo streaming and Internet radio.
HDMI 1.3a Repeating (5 input, 2 output, one front panel) provides one cable connection between the receiver and TV
1080p HDMI connectivity supports Blu-ray disc surround sound formats, including Dolby TrueHD and DD+, dts-HD and dts-HR
Audyssey DSX and Dolby Labs Pro Logic IIz Matrix decoding featuring front height effects channels
Audyssey MultEQ XT, Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ

D

Doghart said:
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR4310CI-7-1-Channel-Multi-Zone-Connectivity/dp/B002AKKFQC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1296078343&sr=8-2

Networking capability opens up your AV system to audio and jpeg photo streaming and Internet radio.
HDMI 1.3a Repeating (5 input, 2 output, one front panel) provides one cable connection between the receiver and TV
1080p HDMI connectivity supports Blu-ray disc surround sound formats, including Dolby TrueHD and DD+, dts-HD and dts-HR
Audyssey DSX and Dolby Labs Pro Logic IIz Matrix decoding featuring front height effects channels

D

I picked up one of these units recently and I have been very happy with it. If you don't need 3d, last years models can save you some money.

AndySTL said:
Doghart said:
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR4310CI-7-1-Channel-Multi-Zone-Connectivity/dp/B002AKKFQC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1296078343&sr=8-2

D

I picked up one of these units recently and I have been very happy with it. If you don't need 3d, last years models can save you some money.

I was also thinking about the 4310CI, but can't purchase anything in the States, the company won't honour the warranty, but i see it on Crutchfield Canada for $1980.00, not much savings there, unless i know someone in the States preferably close to the border and pick it up there, but i don't. i am only two hours away. thanks Dog, that is an excellent idea, i really don't care for 3D myself.

Doghart said:

Hi Dog: i know in the States it is crazy the savings, i check the Crutchfield web site in the States (www.crutchfield.com) it is $1098.00 and their Canadian web site (www.crutchfield.ca) it is $1898.00 so it is a huge difference. they have indicated they could help me by getting the receiver through their US warehouse but i have to know an address in the US for delivery or otherwise they won't honour the warranty. so there you have it.
D

i did buy a Denon 4311CI and so far am extremely happy with it, :handgestures-thumbup: i am sure i will have many years of enjoyment just like my previous Denon. thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Sailor said:
i did buy a Denon 4311CI and so far am extremely happy with it, :handgestures-thumbup: i am sure i will have many years of enjoyment just like my previous Denon. thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Good for you! That's awesome!

Sailor said:
i did buy a Denon 4311CI and so far am extremely happy with it...
Excellent choice, Sailor! I think I would've done the same. Enjoy!

Zing said:
Sailor said:
i did buy a Denon 4311CI and so far am extremely happy with it...
Excellent choice, Sailor! I think I would've done the same. Enjoy!
'ditto' Zing's response . . .

I'd be proud to own one too.

:handgestures-thumbup:

Cool. I see it has two subwoofer outputs - anyone know if it's actually true stereo sub outs? If so, that'd be a first AFAIK.

PaulyT said:
Cool. I see it has two subwoofer outputs - anyone know if it's actually true stereo sub outs? If so, that'd be a first AFAIK.
Those are dual mono outputs. The 4810 is the one with stereo outputs.

Last night i was trying to tweak my receiver, and a window popped up indicating a firmware update, so i click ok and three hours later it was still updating. i like this receiver, it takes control of everything, i don't have to go to my TV and select the inputs, my receiver does all that, only one remote that is one of the beauties of this receiver. It really does upscale the picture of my TV, but i haven't done much of anything with it so far, but i intend to play with it this weekend. i know most of you guys prefer separates, but it would have been an expensive venture for me, i was happy with my 3805 and i am sure the 4311 will provide me with a lot of year of HT enjoyment. :banana-rock:

if i have any technicality problems with this unit, can i rely on you people for support? i am sure i will have, as i am not audio savvy. I have a 175 pages of instructions to read and try to comprehend, i wish one of you could come to my place and program this unit to nearly perfection :happy-smileygiantred: but i will try to go by their instructions, i know Denon is not well reputated to write easily to understand instructions. i believe there are books out called Denon for dummies :text-lol:

Back