• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New Speakers

Snake Doctor

I don't know if this is the right place to post this or not. If not I am sure someone will be kind enough to move it. I have to tell someone, and none of my friends, associates, or anyone I know, understands or cares. In fact they think I am crazy for spending money on speakers other than Boise.

The system I have has been put together over a long period of time. I saved and searched for a couple of years and then one day I was able to find my three front speakers on ebay, new for less then half of what they sold at retail. So 10 or 11 years ago, I bought Gold Monitor Audio front and center speakers. My rear speakers are Paradigm, that I got 15 or 16 years ago. I have read and been told that I needed to get Gold Monitor Audio rears for a more balanced sound. So the past 11 years, I have been saving and searching. I found two rear speakers over Thanksgiving, they will be arriving in less then a week. The good part is I got both for $350 less then one would cost at retail.

I am excited. My first new speakers in a decade. Now I have to figure out if I should keep my Paradigm sub, that I got 16 years ago, or if I should save and get a SVS or something along that line.

Not bragging........just sharing!!!

I was mostly trying to get him off the SVS kick. Your suggestions work too.

11 or 12 year old mains. 15 to 16 year old surrounds. 16 year old sub.

What's with you and all the almost brand new gear? :)

I applaud your selection, and appreciation of fine affordable audio components. :eusa-clap:

You don't need help. Everyone else does.

Congrats.

Jeff

Congrats! Another Monitor Audio fan on AA (I have the Silvers, a step down from yours but I bought salon demo models, didn't have the patience that you did). They're "brand-new" to me, too; they replaced a 30+ year old set of "new" Advents. :laughing:

Botch said:
Congrats! Another Monitor Audio fan on AA (I have the Silvers, a step down from yours but I bought salon demo models, didn't have the patience that you did). They're "brand-new" to me, too; they replaced a 30+ year old set of "new" Advents. :laughing:

You made a big step up with your Silvers, they are sweet and have such pure sound. A friend of mine had the silvers that was how I was introduced to Monitor Audio. It is interesting not that many are familiar with the speakers and they are so sweet, with a very wide range.

Snake Doctor said:
Zing said:

What??? For years all I heard about was SVS. Now they aren't so good?? Help me here.

It's not that they aren't good anymore. The company changed, as many do, started outsourcing more stuff and made some personnel changes that were purely for profit and not for the greater good.

Then PSA was formed after a bit and PSA holds many of the values which SVS started operating with. The overall warm fuzzy the forum once had for SVS has been replaced by PSA and for the most part for all the right reasons.

JeffMackwood said:
11 or 12 year old mains. 15 to 16 year old surrounds. 16 year old sub.

What's with you and all the almost brand new gear? :)

I applaud your selection, and appreciation of fine affordable audio components. :eusa-clap:

You don't need help. Everyone else does.

Congrats.

Jeff

LOL - my amp was released in 1998 - Amplifier Technologies AT1505 - I bought it used a few years ago, but it delivers. I have thought about replacing it a few times, but when I try to justify it to myself, I just can't do it. Now if I was rolling in cash.......

The thing is I don't buy often, I decide what I want and ignore the price. Now once I decide, I usually notice I can't afford it, so I start putting a few dollars back until what I want equals the means. The cost has to be fair or what I think is fair. You have to be patient and it can be difficult to do, especially when it is something you really want and can't live without...but if you just stay the course...........

Randy said:
Snake Doctor said:
Zing said:

What??? For years all I heard about was SVS. Now they aren't so good?? Help me here.

It's not that they aren't good anymore. The company changed, as many do, started outsourcing more stuff and made some personnel changes that were purely for profit and not for the greater good.

Then PSA was formed after a bit and PSA holds many of the values which SVS started operating with. The overall warm fuzzy the forum once had for SVS has been replaced by PSA and for the most part for all the right reasons.

If I remember SVS was privately owned by a company in Ohio, Youngstown, I think. Then it was sold to a Canadian company? I did not realize the quality had deteriorated. Thanks for letting me know.

My problem is I don't understand how a new sub will enhance my listening experience. Isn't one deep roar that rattles the pictures and windows the same as another? I understand that I am uninformed when it comes to subs.

A wise man are you!

The five Carver A-400x stereo amps in my main HT date to 1995. (Bought the first one used in 1999.) The Phase Linear amp that rounds out the system is from an even earlier date.

Of course those are mere babies in comparison to the Koss CM/1030s speakers which date from 1977-84.

It took me almost thirty years to assemble all the pieces - building it bit by bit as gear, and cash, became available. Never new; some refurbishing almost always required.

As far as I'm concerned, properly maintained, good amps and speakers can last a lifetime. ("Source" components and processors, they change, almost like underwear, in comparison to speakers.)

Stay the course!

Jeff

No, all subs are not the same. A good subs will disappear into the sound and you won't notice except in those rare instances when something so ungodly low and loud is in the source content. A good sub will appear to make your main speaker sound bigger, clearer, and louder. A good sub will allow you to hear the subtle details of the incredible bass performance in Peter Gabriel's "Don't Give Up" in all its glory without muddying it up.

I assure you your current sub cannot match a proper good sub tuned properly.

That said, the performance of your main speakers is very much more important, so I'd recommend putting you money into the mains before budgeting for a new sub.

I wouldn't say SVS subs are bad, or that their build quality has diminished. They are still a very fine product and one you should look at if looking to upgrade your sub. They continue to provide excellent customer service as well.

Their performance/value ratio has diminished, however, as their prices have increased to the point of no longer being the value they once were (cover cost of advertisement, etc.). So, other companies produce a product of similar or better performance for less $. PSA is one company, and the owners also started SVS awhile back.

When I do my next room, the biggest question I have is what sub to get. I still have not heard a non-IB sub that is better than the PB-13U, IMHO. IBs are tempting and a possibility but the noise they induce into the structure is a serious factor to overcome.

Everything else is basically decided on, except for where this is all going to be...

John

^ Hopefully when you do have your Theater Ready, PSA will still have there free 30 day trial with free shipping both ways, they have some real monsters out these days!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Flint said:
No, all subs are not the same. A good subs will disappear into the sound and you won't notice except in those rare instances when something so ungodly low and loud is in the source content. A good sub will appear to make your main speaker sound bigger, clearer, and louder. A good sub will allow you to hear the subtle details of the incredible bass performance in Peter Gabriel's "Don't Give Up" in all its glory without muddying it up.

I assure you your current sub cannot match a proper good sub tuned properly.

That said, the performance of your main speakers is very much more important, so I'd recommend putting you money into the mains before budgeting for a new sub.

My mains are excellent and will be with me for many years to come. Now if a good sub will do what you said, then perhaps you are right, I need to look at subs. The problem is, there isn't any place near me sells good anything much less subs, so I can't listen to them. So rather then take a chance or putting $$$ out and not know what I am getting, well it keeps me with what I have.

jamhead said:
I wouldn't say SVS subs are bad, or that their build quality has diminished. They are still a very fine product and one you should look at if looking to upgrade your sub. They continue to provide excellent customer service as well.

Their performance/value ratio has diminished, however, as their prices have increased to the point of no longer being the value they once were (cover cost of advertisement, etc.). So, other companies produce a product of similar or better performance for less $. PSA is one company, and the owners also started SVS awhile back.

Just so I understand, the owners that started SVS, sold the company. Then they started PSA?

yromj said:
When I do my next room, the biggest question I have is what sub to get. I still have not heard a non-IB sub that is better than the PB-13U, IMHO. IBs are tempting and a possibility but the noise they induce into the structure is a serious factor to overcome.

Everything else is basically decided on, except for where this is all going to be...

John

Showing my lack of knowledge here, what is a non-IB sub?? Is there an IB sub? I guess there would be.

JeffMackwood said:
A wise man are you!

The five Carver A-400x stereo amps in my main HT date to 1995. (Bought the first one used in 1999.) The Phase Linear amp that rounds out the system is from an even earlier date.

Of course those are mere babies in comparison to the Koss CM/1030s speakers which date from 1977-84.

It took me almost thirty years to assemble all the pieces - building it bit by bit as gear, and cash, became available. Never new; some refurbishing almost always required.

As far as I'm concerned, properly maintained, good amps and speakers can last a lifetime. ("Source" components and processors, they change, almost like underwear, in comparison to speakers.)

Stay the course!

Jeff

It takes a while to build a good system, unless you have extremely deep pockets. What is so fascinating, is that as much as I enjoy the system I am building, when I try to tell people about it, their eyes glaze over.

Back