• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New SVS speakers - not what I had in mind

Rope said:

Your argument suggests that we could say all subwoofers are identical and unoriginal because they are all boxes with woofers and amps in them dedicated to bass performance. You could say that all cars are the same and unoriginal because they have four wheels, a steering wheel, accelerators and brakes. They also come with headlights and seats. Therefore, all cars are unoriginal, all subwoofers are unoriginal, all tower speakers are unoriginal, all cell phones are unoriginal. If the argument is that similar placement is the definition of unoriginality, then all box speaker types are unoriginal.

The dimensions have me confused as they don't match the available standard width between studs in residential construction. I also don't see an option for a center channel which, assuming the target market ar HT enthusiasts, would be a requirement.

I'm with Franklin on this. Finally an in wall speaker that looks like it will provide good performance.

it seems this hobby is all about trade offs except for the minority who have big funds and dedicated rooms,if these speakers and wall art covers come to market(and im sure this will give do it your selfers some ideas) it will be a better option for those who now have to settle for sound bars.

I like this idea. While an inwall speaker may not be a new idea, the idea of using a picture/poster as a grill seems pretty original. Especially if it doesn't impede with the speakers performance. Reminds me of the acoustic panels that have different art on them.

Helps make the home theater idea more acceptable to people who focus more on the aesthetics.

Also, this move may be necessary to fund the LTS line.

All in-wall speakers suck, including SVS's offering! And yes, it's because they're in a wall, unless of course, you can move the wall to obtain optimum speaker placement/performance.

Many in-wall speaker manufacturers offer speakers in their own enclosure, some large, some small, some with the option of mounting the speaker slightly recessed, and special material to cover the speaker opening to conceal it as part of the wall. Did I mention, in-wall speakers suck, since your options for placement are very limited BECAUSE THEY'RE IN A STATIONARY WALL!

Rope

lakedmb said:
the idea of using a picture/poster as a grill seems pretty original.

I've seen it before. Oops! There I go again, being "too harsh" and "ignorant, blind". :text-imsorry:

Rope said:
All in-wall speakers suck, including SVS's offering! And yes, it's because they're in a wall, unless of course, you can move the wall to obtain optimum speaker placement/performance.

Many in-wall speaker manufacturers offer speakers in their own enclosure, some large, some small, some with the option of mounting the speaker slightly recessed, and special material to cover the speaker opening to conceal it as part of the wall. Did I mention, in-wall speakers suck, since your options for placement are very limited BECAUSE THEY'RE IN A STATIONARY WALL!

Rope

You are wrong! That is my opinion and my experience. I'm not sure how much experience you have with your walls, but my walls are in just the right place for in-wall speakers. Fortunately, my ceiling is also in just the right place.

Check out the THX website for proper configuration.

Your blanket statement that "all in wall speakers suck" is just ignorant. For home theater use in-wall/ceiling can sound fantastic. I know because I have and use in-wall/ceiling surrounds and they sound fantastic.

Maybe you are doing it wrong or have never listened to a properly set up in-wall system. :confusion-shrug:

Dennie

In-Wall speakers have the potential to be vastly superior to stand alone enclosures. Why? Edge reflection, baffle step, rear and side wall reflections, and so on. The best studios in the world have their main reference "long throw" speakers mounted in-wall for a reason.

snacks.gif

It's amazing how great in-wall speakers are, however, everyone posting on this thread seem to have stand alone speakers. What gives?

I have now seen the light, all the talk about speaker placement, acoustics, modding for edge defraction is all bullshit!

Dennie -

I may be ignorant, but I'm a realist.

I'll be looking for some great deals on stand alone speakers, since it appears everyone will be converting to in-walls.

Rope

MOST in-wall speakers sold today are total crap. MOST in-wall speaker installations are terrible. No one is claiming that all in-walls are superior.

When done properly, in-wall speakers have the potential of being superior to free standing speakers. Most people are not willing to do in-walls properly, and few (if any) high end in-wall speakers exist.

Rope said:
It's amazing how great in-wall speakers are, however, everyone posting on this thread seem to have stand alone speakers. What gives?

I have now seen the light, all the talk about speaker placement, acoustics, modding for edge defraction is all bullshit!

Dennie -

I may be ignorant, but I'm a realist.

I'll be looking for some great deals on stand alone speakers, since it appears everyone will be converting to in-walls.

Rope
Let's be clear Rope, I never said you were ignorant! Your statement was Ignorant!

And you want to talk about "realist"?

I HAVE IN WALL SPEAKERS! Dosen't get more real than that! :teasing-tease:

I don't have in-wall speakers because they are better than stand alone speakers, I have in-walls because that was my only option. I didn't have room for stand alone speakers.

My complete 7.1 KEF HT Rocks! The in-walls were a compromise, yes. But they do not suck and I think if you heard it you would agree. :dance:

Dennie

Ok I'll admit, I was initially prejudiced against the idea of in-wall speakers, we we've been kind of trained to look down on those. But indeed, I was wondering what the benefits of essentially an infinite baffle would be on midrange/tweeter drivers (though I realize this isn't IB in the same way as an IB sub with totally open "inifnite" space behind the drivers). But yeah, certainly there's no edge diffraction, nor reflections off rear walls that are inevitable with standalone speakers.

Yes, I also think we tend to assume anything in-wall is placed completely arbitrarily with regards only to aesthetics and/or convenience. But that doesn't necessarily have to be the case. It does seem though, that with speakers like this the room would have to be constructed around it, or a fair bit of remodeling done to accommodate the size of these things?

Yes I know I'm back-pedalling here. So be it, I don't mind being convinced that my initial opinion could stand some readjustment. ;)

Ok I am with PaulyT, perhaps I was too quick to judge the in-wall concept. But are we talking just home theatre surround sound or does this include music? How do you compensate for speaker placement not being in say a 90'degree arc, or some type of triangle placement as we do for stereo?

TitaniumTroy said:
Ok I am with PaulyT, perhaps I was too quick to judge the in-wall concept. But are we talking just home theatre surround sound or does this include music? How do you compensate for speaker placement not being in say a 90'degree arc, or some type of triangle placement as we do for stereo?
Each situation and need is different. Not too many "audiophiles" looking to get inwall speakers, unless it is the only way to get sound to the room. Like a bathroom or Den, where there isn't really floorspace.

I think the best application for inwall/ceiling speakers is HT/TV. It has worked out great in my living room/HT. Often people ask me where that "Sound" is coming from, as they don't even notice the speakers.

It can also be a good way to get away from those little cube thingy's! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

There is nothing preventing you from setting up a perfect equallateral triangle placement with in-wall speakers. You cannot toe the speakers in, but half the reason for toe-in is to reduce negative effects of edge diffraction (the other reason being the best allignment for the directionality of the drivers).

Back in my custom speaker building days an attorney paid a pretty penny for a very high end installation of in-walls which were perfectly placed. The hardest part was predicting the best locations for the speakers. The results were quite amazing.

Since most if not all buyers of this product will assuredly have either a flat panel or projector screen between them, both of which would have a significant bezel. How would/could the presence of such negatively affect some of the design benefits mentioned?

Batman said:
Since most if not all buyers of this product will assuredly have either a flat panel or projector screen between them, both of which would have a significant bezel. How would/could the presence of such negatively affect some of the design benefits mentioned?

No more or less than with stand alone speakers which are positioned behind the plance of the TV or Screen (which is damn near every setup I have seen). So, while the TV Bezel edge issue may remain, the much large issue of edge diffraction and baffle-step reinforcement / cancellations are removed. If someone was serious about this hobby, they would mount the TV or Screen in the wall so it is flush with the surface. Then everything would be super-mega-major-happy-love-time for all.

The reason I ask is because of a gaming area I've been trying to set up for the kids. I have pretty much everything required but the speakers. For the benefit of the forum :eusa-whistle: these would be something I'd consider once I see the price point. The screen is a 60" Xscreen which is basically the same size as an equivalent 60" plasma. Mounting it flush in the wall is doable with little work involved, since I have complete access behind the wall in question....hmmm

Back