• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New TV - 75" TCL QM8

Haywood

Famous
My much loved 2015 Sony XBRX940C died a sudden and unexpected death and I needed a new TV. The timing was terrible, because I just spent a bloody fortune on my shop, roof, solar, etc. That meant I had to look for something at a lower price point than I otherwise might have. After doing a bunch of research and finding an excellent Memorial Day deal, I picked up a TCL QM8.

Holy crap what a difference 9 years makes. I got this set for $1200 and it has noticeably better performance than the $6000 2015 flagship I bought in early 2016. This was definitely NOT a downgrade. This is easily the best looking set I've owned and is an absolute steal at that price point. I am very happy with it and do not see myself upgrading until it dies or I build a dedicated theater room.

You suck.........

I have been waiting (wishing) for our 11 year old plasma to die,to make a new purchase.

You suck.........

I have been waiting (wishing) for our 11 year old plasma to die,to make a new purchase.
I don't recall if the house you built in Alabama has a garage? If so, problem solved. Put the old plasma out in the garage. That seems to be a popular thing in my neck of the woods!! New shiny OLED in the house!! Done!!
Mike
PS: Suckage sent Haywoods way!!

I don't recall if the house you built in Alabama has a garage? If so, problem solved. Put the old plasma out in the garage. That seems to be a popular thing in my neck of the woods!! New shiny OLED in the house!! Done!!
Mike
PS: Suckage sent Haywoods way!!
Yup we have a garage for the truck and boat. No plasma out in the heat though.....

Been eyeing the Sony x90l 65. Only casual watching in the living room.

Scotts post sparked my interest on the TCL.

Yup we have a garage for the truck and boat. No plasma out in the heat though.....

Been eyeing the Sony x90l 65. Only casual watching in the living room.

Scotts post sparked my interest on the TCL.
TCL's 6 and 8 series has consistently won CNET's "Bang for your Buck" vote. PQ is outstanding and only beaten by things MUCH more expensive.
Personally, I think the ROKU interface is hands down the best/simplest. But the Google version if that's all they do now wouldn't deter me if I was looking for a new display.
And, if you have a Costco near you, they generally carry the TCL brand...at least near me they used to.

Is this TV perfect? No.
Is it on-par with flagship sets for double the price? Of course not.
Can I get the big silly grin off my face over how good this thing looks for what I paid for it? Nope.

The other thing I will say is that the performance gap between the mid-range sets and the flagships is nowhere near as big as it used to be.

Looks nice. Practically speaking, how did you mount that behemoth? How many people did it take?

This one is a lot lighter than the one it replaced. It is not very heavy, but it is big enough that you need two people to hang it. It was easier in my case, because I was replacing a TV of comparable size. All we had to do was take the old one down, move the mounting bracket to the new TV, and hang it up. The fact that I use a super heavy-duty fully articulating mount you can pull a good 18 inches off the wall doesn't hurt either.

This one is a lot lighter than the one it replaced. It is not very heavy, but it is big enough that you need two people to hang it. It was easier in my case, because I was replacing a TV of comparable size. All we had to do was take the old one down, move the mounting bracket to the new TV, and hang it up. The fact that I use a super heavy-duty fully articulating mount you can pull a good 18 inches off the wall doesn't hurt either.
Did you get the 2023 or 2024 model?

Did you get the 2023 or 2024 model?
I believe it is the 2023 version, which is probably why they knocked $500 off. I'm sure the 2024 is incrementally better, but I'm happy with what I have. $1200 isn't much of a budget for a 75" TV, so I'm just thrilled that it looks a bit better than the very expensive set it replaced.

I picked up another new display for the master bedroom. This one is a 43" Hisense A7 (2024 model) that I got on sale on Amazon for $198. I'm waiting for the mount and a few other things to arrive before installing it, but hope to have it up before I return to work on Tuesday.

Hisense A7 on Amazon

I picked up another new display for the master bedroom. This one is a 43" Hisense A7 (2024 model) that I got on sale on Amazon for $198. I'm waiting for the mount and a few other things to arrive before installing it, but hope to have it up before I return to work on Tuesday.

Hisense A7 on Amazon
Will be interested to hear your thoughts on Hisensve vs TCL. Their model line is very competive against eachother. I've been wanting to upgrade our master bedroom TV to the Hisense U7 65" but have been reluctant to fork over the $.

I should have the Hisense up this weekend. The A7 is a step down the model line from the one you are looking at and at least a step down from the TCL in my living room. I have an older TCL 6 Series in my family room that I am mostly happy with 4 years in. They definitely offer great bang for the buck and most of my money has gone into either my house or my shop for the last few years. I was absolutely floored when I realized that I am closing in on $50K for the shop and tools, which seems insane to me.

The speakers in my master bedroom are the Overnight Sensations I built last year, paired with a passive 8" subwoofer, and running off a 2.1 channel Fosi amplifier. They were on the dresser, but I am getting ready to mount them on either side of the new TV. The question was where to put the gear, so I designed a small 3-shelf caddy that will hang from the top rail of the TV mount with a French cleat. I got a lot of it done tonight, but got sidetracked after shooting a 16ga nail through the edge of my knuckle. I should have double checked to make sure I swapped the nails out for shorter ones. Oops. Ouch.

Back