• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Ole Georgie Boy does it again.............

This image of the DVD has far less detail and alot of black that can't be conveyed in the cliffs.

StarWarsbeforeandafter007.jpg

Bluray

More resolution and less black in the canyon walls. Also color correction done at ILM (Industrial Light and Magic)

StarWarsbeforeandafter008.jpg

DVD taken to highlight detail in rocks.

StarWarsbeforeandafter009.jpg

Bluray

StarWarsbeforeandafter010.jpg

DVD - R2 is slightly fuzzy and less detail in the rocks.

StarWarsbeforeandafter011.jpg

Bluray

StarWarsbeforeandafter012.jpg

DVD - transport is not as clear and stars fuzzy.

StarWarsbeforeandafter013.jpg

Bluray

StarWarsbeforeandafter014.jpg

DVD (notice the front of the transport is darker and less detail)

StarWarsbeforeandafter015.jpg

Bluray (sorry for the banding on the upper right corner, that's my crappy camera and not the image of the Bluray)

StarWarsbeforeandafter016.jpg

DVD (image shows difference, Bluray has digital rocks added in to partially hide R2.

StarWarsbeforeandafter019.jpg

Bluray

StarWarsbeforeandafter020.jpg

DVD - Pic taken to highlight sharpness in stars and more detail in death star on Bluray version

StarWarsbeforeandafter021.jpg

Bluray

StarWarsbeforeandafter022.jpg

DVD

StarWarsbeforeandafter023.jpg

Bluray - stars sharper and slightly more detail in death star.

StarWarsbeforeandafter024.jpg

Chess game, although the difference is small in the two images, trust me when in motion the detail is vastly different. Also ILM did color correction so Chewbacca not so red in Bluray

DVD

StarWarsbeforeandafter025.jpg

Bluray

StarWarsbeforeandafter026.jpg

DVD - white blur near blue planet is falcom in motion

StarWarsbeforeandafter027.jpg

Bluray - stars slightly fuzzy cause my hand was shaky (sorry) but detail in red planet is there.

StarWarsbeforeandafter028.jpg

Last batch of pics I took.

DVD - notice how the falcon is barely visable against the clouds, less detail in greenery.

StarWarsbeforeandafter029.jpg

Bluray - Falcon more visable and ILM did color correction.

StarWarsbeforeandafter030.jpg

DVD - can't tell Luke, Leia, Chewbacca or 3PO at bottom right of screen just blurs and detail in building hardly there.

StarWarsbeforeandafter031.jpg

Bluray - notice you can tell who is there at the bottom right of screen.

StarWarsbeforeandafter032.jpg

Thanks for looking at the details I noticed and trust me on the Bluray the whole movie is in far better depth and detail, this was just a few examples.

Matt said:

"Okay guys, here are some comparison pics between DVD and Bluray. The DVD was played using my HD-DVD player with upconverting DVD to simulated 1080p via HDMI to my 720p Samsung Plasma. The version is the best DVD that was produced and is the THX certified DVD version. Bluray is played using my PS3 via HDMI to 720p plasma. I tried to get the image almost exact but you may notice slight movement in image as I was not exactly precise using my pause. BTW this is using my crappy digital camera so no critiques. Also no post picture processing was done at all."

Matt, I was just wondering, if this is the case, wouldn't this cause some unnecessary processing. I would set the DVD player to output the TV's native resolution. You want either the display or the player to manage video processing. Whichever one is best, not both.

Oops sorry Randy your correct, I was wrong in my post. The HD-DVD was set to 720p and not 1080i. (will correct in original post) when pics taken. In fact everything on my bedroom system is set to 720p. Thanks for catching that, was typing too fast. But yes the HD-DVD will do some "upconverting" to display 720p from a 480p image.

Thanks Matt but where are the comparison pics of Leia in the dancing girl outfit.

That's the detail we are looking for.

Please don't correct the original post cuz then it will make my post moot and I will look like an idiot for posting chit that aint right. :laughing-rolling:

mz that was "Jedi" not "A New Hope" have patience my pervy friend, patience.

Randy, no it won't because my original post is in your qouted post and I did make an Edit stating the difference and that you were the one to find the error.

Ok, good cuz I make myself look like an idiot enough, I don't need your help!!!

I too purchased the recent release of the "sharper star" edition, and let me tell you, you fuckers who don't buy it NOW don't know what you're missing. Before I just couldnt tell how big space was in star wars and now with all the non fuzzy stars & pin point location of the stars, the space literally looks like it goes on and on forever.... :eusa-whistle:

Matt,

Thanks for posting those pics. Maybe I'll reconsider after reading your posts.

Of course I am being sarcastic :teasing-neener:
:laughing-lettersrofl:

Batman said:
Of course I am being sarcastic :teasing-neener:
:laughing-lettersrofl:

Damn you - I bought it on your recommendation.

You owe me 80 bucks.

:angry-cussingblack:

Back