• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

OLED is finally common

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
While at CES 2017 in Las Vegas I got the privilege of viewing and auditioning the plethora of next generation OLED televisions being released to the market this year. Across the board, they were all far superior to anything I have seen prior. Even the best Plasma models cannot hold a candle to even the cheapest of the new OLED models.

The brilliance of the new TVs is not just the OLED tech. The processing technology to control the signal and feed the screen has commoditized to support wider color gamut, higher resolutions, higher refresh rates and so on, without much complex work from the manufacturers. Those who can afford working hard on those processors, like Sony, Samsung and LG, are launching OLED TVs which are so stunning I cannot comprehend how it is possible.

We are entering a new world, guys, On another year we will be able to buy a 60" OLED 4K TV for $500 which will blow away every TV we've ever owned prior. Think about that!

What else was amazing was how thin those screens can now be made. Edgeless screens are also possible. I saw a wall of OLED screens where you couldn't make out where one screen started and the next ended. Crazy!!!

I cannot wait.

Thanks for info Flint, as I have upgraditis l want to move up to a bigger and better screen. From my current 50" Panasonic plasma, are 3D TV's still dead in the water?

This is exactly why I would have waited another year if my set had not died a horrible death and is oddly the reason I spent as much money as I did. The last thing I wanted was to buy a set that I would be unhappy with in two or three years and I would happily put my X940C up against any OLED set I saw last February. I suspect that by the time I am done paying this set off in another two years (I wasn't go to say no to 0%), you will be able to get a 75 inch set that looks better than mine for no more than 1/3 the price.

It's also one of the reasons I got a lower-end set for my living room recently. I fully expect to want to upgrade to a better set once the prices stabilize.

I saw the LG 65" sets at BB around the Thanksgiving time frame dropping down to $2999, but they have since gone back up to $3,999. :(

If this current gen drops below $2500 I'll definitely jump on one.

D

Well now you tell me Flint after spending 1,700 on my new Samsung 4K tv. I waited more than five years to upgrade and the moment I upgrade the OLEDs will now drop in price.

Story of my life.

There's a reason CES has been so successful at a time immediately following Christmas.

I will add, I see very few consumer grade LED TV's on the floor. The few LED televisions I did see wee for commercial applications, or outdoor/rugged installations.

Well now you tell me Flint after spending 1,700 on my new Samsung 4K tv. I waited more than five years to upgrade and the moment I upgrade the OLEDs will now drop in price.

Story of my life.
Actually, story of TVs, for all of us. My TV is 6 years old now, I love the pic on the new stuff but I'll keep Betsy going until she burns out, THEN look and see what's new.
And accept the fact that, when I buy something new, next year's model will be so much better.

Actually, story of TVs, for all of us. My TV is 6 years old now, I love the pic on the new stuff but I'll keep Betsy going until she burns out, THEN look and see what's new.
And accept the fact that, when I buy something new, next year's model will be so much better.

The tube era spoiled us. TVs have gone from an appliance that would be good for a decade-plus to being like computers; every few years the advancement is staggering.

I will add, I see very few consumer grade LED TV's on the floor. The few LED televisions I did see wee for commercial applications, or outdoor/rugged installations.

What about Sony's high end sets with over a thousand zones of local dimming? I assume those are an ongoing concern, especially at larger screen sizes.

The Sony 65" Class 3D 4K Ultra HDTV XBR 65X990VB in July 2015, I bought for my dad is already outdated. So the Samsung Blue Ray HDR player told me onscreen as I tried to play In the Heart of the Sea. As his TV will not do High Dynamic Range, it still played the movie. Picture looked excellent to me, definitely better than the Blue Ray version on my Panasonic plasma.

It's okay though I bought that TV for it's built in speakers, as a sound bar would confound his non-technical abilities.
I was surprised at how much bass those small speakers can put out with a quality audio signal, his assisted living place is wired with an old low definition version of Comcast. Great TV with crappy video and audio feed, sad :frowning:.

What about Sony's high end sets with over a thousand zones of local dimming? I assume those are an ongoing concern, especially at larger screen sizes.

All the consumer TVs I saw in the Sony booth were OLED, and they were stunning. By far the best televisions I have ever seen in my life.

Here is the deal, from what I have been able to gather.

LG is pushing OLED hard. Sony now has at least one OLED set and everyone says it is amazing. Samsung is sticking entirely with LED/LCD tech and so are several other big players (for now). Nobody can make an affordable OLED bigger than 65". The only option out there is a $20,000 77-inch OLED. That means LED owns the large set space and probably will for the next couple of years. Sony's Z Series has so many zones of local dimming that it actually can go toe to toe with OLED and even the XBR 94 series comes very close.

If you want a big screen and cannot do a projector, LED is the only way to go. The only 75" television on the market for under $10,000 that looks better than mine is the $8,999 Sony XBR-75Z9D.

Best Buy near me has a 65" 2016 LG B6 OLED right now for $2500, open box though.
Going to check it out here in a bit.

The B6 is normally $3999 but is on sale this week for $2999. Superbowl deal I guess.

D

OK I took the plunge!

I just got done wall mounting and setting up my 65" LG OLED. It's pretty amazing. Black levels are where the obvious differences are.

I'll need to run my setup disk a few more times to get it fine tuned but with just a couple of passes through to get the contrast/brightness and color fairly close I am super impressed so far. We'll see how I feel in a few weeks but right now I have a big smile.

D

Congrats Doghart, and a hearty you suck to you!

I think my next project will be to replace the ole Mits RPTV in the basement with an OLED. I don't know how big yet, but I know it will be bigger than the current 55"er. Also, not sure if I will wall mount due to that wall in the basement having metal studs.

I have known other's with the same concern. I think they will leave if you put some Jack Daniels in the yard and tell them Slayer is playing downtown.

View attachment 6746

I tried that and nothing happened. Then I told them Judas Priest was playing downtown and they made a beeline for the back door. Insert your own punch line here...

Back