• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

OPPO Owners?

That's fair. I assumed there was some fiddling when you switched between sources.

Maybe some people switch settings based on what source they are watching, but from my experience and what I've read, most people just set it on hi-def and midrange on the settings, and then leave it there. About the only time I use the darbee settings on my Harmony is just to check to make sure the thing is on. It's more of a background component that you don't really notice it's working until you cycle it on and off, and then you can see the value of it.

Towen7 said:
Only glowing reviews from several owners. Looks like you're on the hook now.

My only question is with regard to wether getting the D model or saving $100 and buying a stand alone Darblet for $200 is a worthwhile exercise. Your HT, like mine, doesn't use a bunch of sources. Why mess around with having to wire/power and use a separate remote for the Darblet?

Tom, this what we are thinking. Integrated with the BR Player makes the most since in our HT application.

Huey said:
Maybe some people switch settings based on what source they are watching, but from my experience and what I've read, most people just set it on hi-def and midrange on the settings, and then leave it there. About the only time I use the darbee settings on my Harmony is just to check to make sure the thing is on. It's more of a background component that you don't really notice it's working until you cycle it on and off, and then you can see the value of it.

I fiddled with mine quite a bit when I first got it and one could easily tweak it for every movie. Some look better with a bit more, others with a bit less. I found a nice mid-range setting that works great for the broadest range of material and still looks better than the original picture on the stuff that could benefit from a tweak. I have not touched it in months. It is basically invisible.

heeman said:
Towen7 said:
Only glowing reviews from several owners. Looks like you're on the hook now.

My only question is with regard to wether getting the D model or saving $100 and buying a stand alone Darblet for $200 is a worthwhile exercise. Your HT, like mine, doesn't use a bunch of sources. Why mess around with having to wire/power and use a separate remote for the Darblet?

Tom, this what we are thinking. Integrated with the BR Player makes the most since in our HT application.

The only push-back I have on that is that I think disc media is going to become a lot less prevalent, though by the time that really impacts you we will likely be on 4k anyway.

^ Haywood, yes, this really has me on the fence about a BR Player Purchase for $500 - $600, when 4K is right around the corner....

heeman said:
^ Haywood, yes, this really has me on the fence about a BR Player Purchase for $500 - $600, when 4K is right around the corner....

4K players will be out later this year. I would honestly wait. I would also wait to see how the 4K ecosystem fleshes out before investing a lot in discs or players. There are going to be at least three parts to the 4K ecosystem: streaming, downloads and discs. All will have DRM, but the downloads are supposed to be disc-quality (though there may be multiple competing options).

I will most likely put the OPPO on the back burner for now and look for a Player more in the $200 - $300 Range. I am finished with the $100 crap that is out there.........

Any suggestions...........

I was eyeing the Yamaha BD-S677.......

What are you currently using and what are your issues with it. If you're not going to (understandably) drop the coin on the Oppo now, why spend $200-300 on an interim player.

Panny DMP-BDP220P; just a few years old, it's on the fritz......

I figure that by the time that I get around to the new UHD Format, Players and Displays it should be at least 3 to 4 years, just a guesstimate. So I was hoping to get into a solid player to hold me over.

Confused..............yes, but I tend to do that to myself (remember the gray paint?).

I wouldn't spend any more than necessary to get a player that will get you by until you can pick a 4k player, assuming that's the route you want to go. You're going to need that need $200-$300 to help w/ the new display for the 4k stuff.

BTW, will newer receivers and pre/pros pass 4k?

John

I don't recall reading anything about 4K pass through on legacy/current gen receivers. Maybe that's because I've not been in there market for one. I suppose it's possible but I kinda doubt it. I imagine that as 4K picks up steam that we'll see one s that will pass through first, then some that will upscale and process 4K video.

Doesn't 4K pass through need a newer verison of the HDMI boards also ?

The only reasons I went with the oppo are:
1) I needed analog outs to my old Rotel.
2) I wanted to continue to listen to DVD-A
3) build quality
4) upconvert signals to 1080p

Can be used as a preamp if needed.

HDMI 2.0 will be required for HDR and there is also the growing library of Dolby Atmos films to consider, so I suspect the move to 4K will eventually push most of us to buy new receivers and pre-pros.

Haywood said:
HDMI 2.0 will be required for HDR and there is also the growing library of Dolby Atmos films to consider, so I suspect the move to 4K will eventually push most of us to buy new receivers and pre-pros.

Yep, I agree. The thing that sucks is that you can't do it piece by piece have incremental gains w/o doing some creative re-wiring. Unless you upgrade both your display and your processor, your BD player will have to have HDMI going to both. Not saying that's not possible, but it will be a bit of a pain. For those w/ projos, it's a real pain.

John

yromj said:
Haywood said:

Yep, I agree. The thing that sucks is that you can't do it piece by piece have incremental gains w/o doing some creative re-wiring. Unless you upgrade both your display and your processor, your BD player will have to have HDMI going to both. Not saying that's not possible, but it will be a bit of a pain. For those w/ projos, it's a real pain.

John
Perhaps not directly applicable to the whole HDMI/4k issue but... last year I bought this http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002TP40JQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00 in order to feed the HDMI output from my Onkyo 886 to my projector and a flat screen at the same time. It works like a charm. It's not available now but it was $24 at the time I bought it.

Right now I could use that same device to instead take a BD player output and have it feed both a display and processor at the same time, if I needed to do so.

My point is that for next to nothing there is probably always some switching solution / device out there that will be available to bridge a transitional technology gap.

Jeff

My personal plan is to wait until at least the end of the year and then make some decisions on what and when to buy.

Jeff, yeah that's where the "creative" part comes in. For example, to get 4k from a BD player to my projector w/o upgrading my pre/pro I would need two HDMI switches. 1 w/ 1 input and 2 outputs for the blu-ray (1 for video to the the projector, 1 for audio to the pre/pro). The other would be two inputs for the blu-ray player and the pre/pro and 1 output to the projector.

I thought I may be able to do it with a single switch w/ 2 inputs (BD player, output from pre/pro) and 2 outputs (projector, blu-ray source to pre/pro). But when watching a blu-ray, both intputs would have to be active to get both audio and video from the player and both outputs would have to be active to send the image to the projector and the audio to the pre/pro. This would result in two video sources trying to feed the projector.

This all because I don't have an easy way to get another HDMI cable to my projector.

John

Back