• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Our TV Died. Let's Go Shopping.

Zing

Retired Admin
Superstar
But don't get too excited. I'm going to tie your hands.

Our living room TV won't turn on anymore. Given that the red power light in the bezel won't illuminate, I'm guessing the power supply gave up the ghost. In the past, I'd take the opportunity to grab the latest and greatest 55" OLED display and be done. I don't have that luxury now. Frankly, anything more than $25 is more than I want to spend.

Given the use this TV sees, I don't need anything beyond your basic 1080p set. I'd prefer it to be no smaller than 40" and no larger than 49". I don't need 4K, I don't need HDR and I certainly don't need a smart TV. But after the brief research I've done, it seems like if you buy anything that was built since 2015, you're going to get those things. OK, fine.

Two have caught my eye and seem like good buys given what they offer. TV Choice 1 and TV Choice 2 are $600 and $900 respectively. I'll wrestle with making the decision for the next week or so unless you guys can suggest something comparable but less expensive.

I love my Samsung $500 TV (I think it is a 42" model). Works amazingly well and I am very satisfied.

Shall I just google "$500 Samsung 42" model" or can you provide some specifics?
If I had them handy, I offer to share. I literally went to Best Buy with a budget and bought a Samsung in the $500 price range. I didn't pay much attention to all the other details.

If you can wait a few hours, I can get the exact model, or, I think may have written about it here on the forum. Not sure what thread it was in.

I could go on and on about what I know and don't know and where I might or might not have all the info you are seeking, but I sorta figured that since my process was to buy a TV from a major brand in my lower-midrange price budget and was happy would suffice.

I’ve been considering putting a TV in the office. If you were willing to go as large as 55” CNET gave the TCL P series their Best Buy rating.

Found the thread... don't have time to check the link to Best Buy to see if it is still working:

http://www.theaudioannex.com/forum/threads/joined-the-4k-tv-club.11761/
The 43" model seems like the wisest choice. And the price is almost tolerable.

I’ve been considering putting a TV in the office. If you were willing to go as large as 55” CNET gave the TCL P series their Best Buy rating.
The value of this set seems awfully good but I'm not so sure a 55" set will work for us.

I am being a spoiled brat by saying I was just starting to enjoy the new living room rearrangement yesterday....mind you, I rarely watch TV, and POOF, it dies. Highly sad!! :(:(

I've read good things about TCL in terms of performance, but I know nothing about their reliability. Anyone have details on that?

You know, that TV has all that I need, nothing I don't and the best price of everything mentioned in this thread so far. It fits the bill in virtually every way possible. But I just can't bring myself to buy a bare bones, no frills, refurbished TV off of Woot.

There’s the Zing we all know and love.

You know, that TV has all that I need, nothing I don't and the best price of everything mentioned in this thread so far. It fits the bill in virtually every way possible. But I just can't bring myself to buy a bare bones, no frills, refurbished TV off of Woot.

Having standards is a real pain in the butt sometimes, isn't it? :p

Back