• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Panasonic VT25 Plasma Buzzzzz

Doghart

So I am waiting to review my new set (Panasonic 58" VT25), sadly it's got issues.

There is a buzzing sound from the rear of the display which is always present, and mostly noticable when viewing bright content.
It almost sounds like a fly is stuck in the display.
Needless to say, the set will be going back. I can exchange it and will do so next weekend. i really don't have the time to deal with it this weekend.

I can't tell you how disappointed this makes me. The reason I chose this set over the Samsung plasma was because of the problems some of their units have with buzzing (not all, some).

I'm really hoping I am just really unlucky, but if the replacement unit does the same then Panasonic will not be on my list of replacements.

:angry-tappingfoot:

D

Well that sux!

I remember reading many complaints about plasma buzzing at high altitudes. I thought that problem had been solved for the most part but since I live at sea level I haven't paid much attention.

This set is supposedly rated to 9,000ft, I'm only at 5280.

Bah, Biggest issues is getting the beast back and getting another. Not looking forward to it. They don't keep these in stock at the store, so I have to drive an hour to get the new one.

I'm going to try to get them to swap it at my house, but I doubt they'll do it. They pushed tat as a benefit of buying the extended warranty. meh!

What irks me the most is that I specifically asked about buzzing and was told a Panny had never been returned for buzzing. Guess I'll be the first.

D

Unfortunately, the altitude issues are more common that people want to admit.

I have digital signage customers who would prefer to use Plasma TVs for all of their installations, but they have set a hard rule that any installation at altitudes over 4,500 ft. will always be LCD unless the end customer signs a waver absolving the installer from all liability on the plasmas. And these guys use very expensive commercial grade displays, not the less reliable consumer class.

One of these customers is in Denver, and they had to setup an integration center in another state for their Plasma TV operations.

Went to BB this evening and after the usual questions about my electrical wiring (dedicated 20 amp circuit), if I'm using a power filter and surge protector (I am), they are going to deliver and install a replacement set next Saturday at no cost.

I could have it delivered as soon as Monday, but my work schedule is booked solid (12 hour days all week).

I have my fingers crossed that I was just unlucky.

We shall see...

:pray:

D

This may be unrelated but people who have my set (LG pk550) were having buzzing issues like you describe and it was actually coming from lose screws in the back. Notsaying you shouldn;t take it back but take a screw driver to it and seee if any are loose.

The buzz is coming from the right rear side of the panel, almost sounds like a neon sign.

Sometimes it is so faint I can barely hear it from a foot away, sometimes it is so loud I hear it over the volume of my receiver. When it's loud I can stand by the display and hear it change pitch as the image on the screen changes.

Earlier I was watching TV and go a phone call. I paused my D* dvr and by the time my call was done the dvr screen saver was on. It's a black screen with the D* logo bouncing around. I have never heard the set buzz so loudly. That's when I decided to go back to BB and see what they would do.

What's odd is it typically buzzes the loudest when displaying bright content.

D

I don't know why I didn't think to mention this when you emailed me the other day...But I forgot to mention that my two Panasonic plasmas in the basement DO sometimes buzz. They are picking up some kind of RFI/EMI from the lighting circuit in the theater. I can make the buzzing come and go, along with interference in the image, at will based on the intensity of the dimmer which is a Lutron Grafik Eye. This has been a thorn in my side since splitting my HD signal out of my Dish receiver, so far nothing I've tried has worked. My suspicion is that if you are experiencing an interference issue the TV itself may not be the culprit. If the next set does it I would start looking for sources of interference. Crossing my fingers that you got a dud set because if this one has similar issues prepare to start ripping your hair out.

We have a halogen lamp in the room, after reading your post I tried adjusting the dimmer on the lamp to see if it affected the buzz.

Nothing.

Not nothing, as in no difference... nothing as in no buzz. Not a peep from the set at all right now.

I pulled up the netflix app, the worst offender, and still no noise at all. Ugghhh.

:roll:

D

I also have to add that the Dish is the only source affected by the interference...

Some light dimmers in wall switches or in the fixtures themselves can cause the type of noise you're describing. If you unplug the lamp do you still get the buzz?

I've got 2 Pan plasmas & have had no buzzing at all.

I am going to have them unpack the replacement set and fire it up before taking mine off the wall.

Seeing as mine did it right out of the box, if that one buzzes as well then I'll keep the one I already have.

I have watched a few blurays yesterday/today with my daughter and there is no buzz.

Go figure.

D

Doghart -

At what altitude do you reside? If it's over 6,500', you may find LCD to be a better alternative, although there are companies that manufacture high altitude plasma displays. The draw back is, they'e terribly expensive.

Rope

5,280' should not cause that display to buzzzzzzzz.

DUH! This is an excellent example of replying to the OP without reading the entire thread.

Dumbass :arrow: Rope

Rope said:
5,280' should not cause that display to buzzzzzzzz.

DUH! This is an excellent example of replying to the OP without reading the entire thread.

Dumbass :arrow: Rope
I have digital signage customers who would prefer to use Plasma TVs for all of their installations, but they have set a hard rule that any installation at altitudes over 4,500 ft. will always be LCD unless the end customer signs a waver absolving the installer from all liability on the plasmas.
...and you didn't read this part, either... :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

What do you want from me, Botch? I already admitted I was s dumbass! Deluted, demented dumbass, is that better? :eek:

I will mention, 4,500' is very conservative. I know people who live at Sundance and Park City who have plasma displays, with no buzzzz problems.

Rope

Rope said:
What do you want from me, Botch? I already admitted I was s dumbass! Deluted, demented dumbass, is that better? :eek:

I will mention, 4,500' is very conservative. I know people who live at Sundance and Park City who have plasma displays, with no buzzzz problems.

Rope

I've done work up in Vail, Aspen, Winter Park... all over 10k feet. Seen plasmas installed in these resorts/retreats.

I have no idea if they buzz or not, but they are there. I'm sure the replacement set will be Buzz free. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

D

Back