• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Plasma burn-in

Deerhunter

So is this still a problem? I have been thinking about getting a Panasonic Viera, since they have really come down in price. We keep our place dark so I am not worried about glare. When I am not home sometimes I have come in and a DVD title screen will be on.

Also I have my putter running to my TV now I stream shows from it since I don't have cable and even if I did I am too busy with home work or in class when the shows are one.

I am just worried about the screen. I have been looking at the 720p I am about 10' away for my seating and I was thinking about the 42" or maybe the 50"

This sight shows it will not make a difference with 720p
http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter

Just keep the contrast and brightness turned down for the first 100 hours of use.

Avoid black bars (top/bottom and sides) as well.

After that calibrate with a DVD/Bluray and enjoy.

At your seating distance I would absolutely do the 50" 720p.

D

I could be wrong, but I think burn-in refers to permanent issues. This is not a huge problem anymore. Image retention, however is still possible with plasma. It goes away over time, but it can be noticeable. I don't think it's a deal-breaker for me. I prefer plasma.

I recently went through this ( amonth ago actually) and when brand new, plasmas have a lot fo image retention. Run ful screen, no black bars no channel logos for @ the first 100 hours and you will be set.

Sweeeet cool I will do, I have been looking at a lot of them and I just like the plasma better and you just cant beat the refresh rate of 600hz

It's already been said, take it easy for the first hundred hours, no letter box with black bars bottom, or sides. Keep the contrast/brightness control below the standard, no stationary bright static images (gaming) or ticker tape programming (CNN). Until the cell structure is stable, Plasma displays cells have a memory, much like charging a nickel cad battery. If they're exposed to one shade of brightness or darkness, they will remember that state. After 100-200 hours, you would have to deliberately leave a very bright static image on the display for 48 hours or more to attain permanent image retention; in fact, I don't know it can be done with the new generation of plasma displays.

I own a 720p plasma display and viewing distance is 8'. At 10', I doubt you could distinguish the difference between 1080p/720p if you were comparing side-by-side. Depends on the viewer's vision acuteness, or lack of.

Rope

Rope said:
It's already been said, take it easy for the first hundred hours, no letter box with black bars bottom, or sides. Keep the contrast/brightness control below the standard, no stationary bright static images (gaming) or ticker tape programming (CNN). Until the cell structure is stable, Plasma displays cells have a memory, much like charging a nickel cad battery. If they're exposed to one shade of brightness or darkness, they will remember that state. After 100-200 hours, you would have to deliberately leave a very bright static image on the display for 48 hours or more to attain permanent image retention; in fact, I don't know it can be done with the new generation of plasma displays.

I own a 720p plasma display and viewing distance is 8'. At 10', I doubt you could distinguish the difference between 1080p/720p if you were comparing side-by-side. Depends on the viewer's vision acuteness, or lack of.

Rope

Thats what I have been reading so I figured 720p is perfect and the price on them too for what you get.

Dang too bad I live in AZ

If you buy from Costco they will automatically extend the warranty for free.

They just don't take credit, except for their own of course....

Also, you can get a 58" S2 series panny from BB right now for $1299. :scared-yipes:

D

I paid $890 with free shipping and a free blueray player. For a 50" 1080p tv. So keep that in mind when you are bargain shopping. We are real close to black friday. I would be tempted to wait.

I was just in BB at lunch, they have the 50" S2 Panasonic 1080p Plasma with a Monster :eusa-whistle: Surge protector, Bluray player and 2 movies for $999.... wow.

D

I paid about $1500 for mine about 3 years ago.

Man, they have really dropped in price over the years. A 50" plasma for $700? Hell yeah I would be all over that.

Well I got it! Just picked up my 42" yesterday I got the 720p and for as close as I am its perfect, my wife thinks were too close and says it makes her eyes hurt. My mother-in-law also says its too close were just over 10' away. Agr women :laughing-lettersrofl:

I have not taken the time to adjust the picture yet but I did turn down the contrast. Just been watching movies and TV to get it broken in. Then I will break out the Disney THX disc to set the colors till I get my blue ray and that other disk for it. But its getting late and its a early morning.

I also have a 720p. It's a 50" plasma and I sit about 11ft away from it. 1080p would have been a waste of money for that size and seating distance.

Back