• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Playstation 3 Q&A

Batman

Staff member
Famous
I thought i would start a thread about the PS3. With Christmas coming I thought maybe this would be helpful on Christmas morning. One tip for parents is to go ahead and download the system updates and game updates, this could save a half a day. But anyway my son in law got one so i had to get one, according to the wife. Well they are more confusing than I thought.
I bought a bundle that included Little Big Planet and Mod Nation Racers, and bought Tiger Woods 2011. Have only played Tiger Woods. Questions are

A) Are there any games in 1080P?
B) On the Tiger Woods game i can't load my son in laws character from his console to mine. It overwrites my character. Is there a way around this?
C) I enjoyed socom 2&3. I wasn't any good but i enjoyed it. Except for getting cussed out or killed by my own teammates. I was that bad, but what other games are similar. Anyone play Call Of Duty Black Ops. Is this similar?

Also of note the Tiger game has an online pass code printed on the manual. To play online you must redeem this code. If you don't have the code you can get a free 7 day pass, otherwise you pay $10 for a new code. Don't know if this code is tied to the console or your account. So keep in mind if you buy used. I guess this is there way of combating the used game market and rentals. Also don't know what other games may do this. I imagine all 2011 ea sports games are this way.

My bad please move to gaming section

*OP was started by Crow, somehow the transferred info didn't stay in the "Games" section when I used the mod tools. My apologies to Crow for mistakenly deleting your thread...
-Batman

Batman said:
I thought i would start a thread about the PS3. With Christmas coming I thought maybe this would be helpful on Christmas morning. One tip for parents is to go ahead and download the system updates and game updates, this could save a half a day. But anyway my son in law got one so i had to get one, according to the wife. Well they are more confusing than I thought.
I bought a bundle that included Little Big Planet and Mod Nation Racers, and bought Tiger Woods 2011. Have only played Tiger Woods. Questions are

A) Are there any games in 1080P?
B) On the Tiger Woods game i can't load my son in laws character from his console to mine. It overwrites my character. Is there a way around this?
C) I enjoyed socom 2&3. I wasn't any good but i enjoyed it. Except for getting cussed out or killed by my own teammates. I was that bad, but what other games are similar. Anyone play Call Of Duty Black Ops. Is this similar?

Also of note the Tiger game has an online pass code printed on the manual. To play online you must redeem this code. If you don't have the code you can get a free 7 day pass, otherwise you pay $10 for a new code. Don't know if this code is tied to the console or your account. So keep in mind if you buy used. I guess this is there way of combating the used game market and rentals. Also don't know what other games may do this. I imagine all 2011 ea sports games are this way.

My bad please move to gaming section

*OP was started by Crow, somehow the transferred info didn't stay in the "Games" section when I used the mod tools. My apologies to Crow for mistakenly deleting your thread...-Batman

Oh sure, that's always your excuse when you delibertly delete someone's hard work. :angry-tappingfoot: :laughing:

Rope

Rope said:
Batman said:
*OP was started by Crow, somehow the transferred info didn't stay in the "Games" section when I used the mod tools. My apologies to Crow for mistakenly deleting your thread...-Batman

Oh sure, that's always your excuse when you delibertly delete someone's hard work. :angry-tappingfoot: :laughing:

Rope
What can i say?? I'm a :music-tool:

There are some games that do 1080p, I'm playing Final Fantasy XIII right now which has it (and decent surround sound too). Can't speak to the save games as I don't have that one, but yeah a lot of them will only recognize a single game save, rather than multiple ones at once. There may be a way to set up multiple user accounts, though, which would separate the saves? Not sure, I haven't had a reason to try this...

Batman said:
Yes, the wonderful thieves of EA. If a code is used by the person who bought the game new it can't be used again if you sell your game and the new owner wants to play online.

Now having a problem with the ps3 knocking everything on my router offline. Have a linksys wrt54g, seems to be a common problem. Going to update firmware and see what happens.
Also going to post over at S&V.

Crow said:
Now having a problem with the ps3 knocking everything on my router offline. Have a linksys wrt54g, seems to be a common problem. Going to update firmware and see what happens.
Also going to post over at S&V.

I also had this problem when hardwired to router i could never find a solution other than use the wirless option. Ill look forward to a remedy if it comes up.

Set up a second account in your sons username and then import his data from his ps3 pony to yours.

On the back of the games it will tell you the picture resolution it is capable of. GT5 iirc is 1080.

Bump for a couple of questions.

1) Can I stream the music folder on my PC to the PS3? If so, how do I go about doing this?

2) Can the PS3 stream Flac files?

What I was thinking was if I could use the PS3 for my music in the living room instead of adding another SB. All my music is on my old Dell desktop. My wife's laptop does have WMC, so is there a work around with that since the PS3 recognizes her laptop as a media device?

I also have a separate folder, on the desktop, with MP3 versions of most of my Flac albums (for the Jeep's system).

You can definitely stream music from your PC to the PS3. I haven't done it in forever (because I sold mine a long time ago) but you need to go the settings menu and search for media servers. It should find all playable files. Haywood is the expert so hopefully he'll chime in soon.

As for FLAC... I don't think it will support it natively. But i think there is middleware called Tversity (or something like that) that will make it work.

Sweet! Hope I can make it work with Flac.

Do I need to make my music folder sharable for the PS3 to see it?

Yesfan70 said:

Most likely, unless you already have the network settings to make your serving pc set to be accessed.

-B- said:
Yesfan70 said:

Most likely, unless you already have the network settings to make your serving pc set to be accessed.

Actually, you need to run a DLNA Server, even if it is just the crappy one built into Windows.

Haywood said:
-B- said:
Yesfan70 said:

Actually, you need to run a DLNA Server, even if it is just the crappy one built into Windows.

DLNA? What do you suggest? This is totally new to me.

Yesfan70 said:

It's an acronym for some set of standards some companies adhere to that is supposed to make it so that music and pictures can be streamed from one device to another, even across platforms---phones, laptops, game machines. My old Escient music server used it. And I think Microsoft's "Windows Media Player" uses it. Apple's "iTunes", unfortunately, does not and rather it employs some other kind of proprietary method for sharing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dlna

I only know the very basics of PS3 media sharing, but below are some basic steps to get you started if you so choose.

I don't know anything about using FLAC or any of those supplemental programs (PlayOn, etc) that might transcode on the fly that allow the PS3 to play formats that it doesn't natively support. This method basically will allow you to stream (share) anything that is currently playable and loaded into the Windows Media Player program on your computer, but with one catch: The media format needs to be natively supported in the PS3 in order for this method to work. So basically we're talking about WMA, MP3, JPEG, and some AVI-container videos depending on the video file typs and audio file types contained within. I'm not yet sure about WMA Lossless, but will try it out later today.

You'll probably want you computer set up as a 'home/private' network. And the first time you do it, I think Windows may ask you to confirm that you want to share files or something like that.

1. Open Windows Media Player
2. Click ‘library’ > select ‘more options’
3. Select the tab that says ‘Library’
4. Click ‘Configure Sharing…’ button
5. A window pops up that says ‘Media Sharing’
6. Click ‘Share My Media’ box
7. Click OK
8. Window will change and you’ll see a couple of icons (‘unknown device’ is probably your PS3), the other being other uses of the PC, or possibly other PCs on your network.
9. Highlight ‘unknown device’ assuming it is your PS3 and select ‘ALLOW’.
10. Click OK
11. Go to your PS3 and search for Media Servers; you should now see an icon on your PS3 that says "Windows Media Player".

I suspect this method maybe isn't quite as powerful/useful as you'd have hoped, but thought I'd post it anyway. If you do decide to give it a go for kicks and grins, I'll try to help answer any questions that may come up. Not that I'm an expert with any of this... Regardless... Good luck!

Kazaam said:
I'm not yet sure about WMA Lossless, but will try it out later today.

Just tested WMA Lossess and when the PS3 tries to stream it off of my laptop it says 'unsupported data', so at least for me it's a no go. I have an old 60gb 'fat' model PS3, fwiw. I thought I read where someone with a new 'slim' PS3 got WMA Lossless to stream, but I could be mistaken. Might be worth a try since you've got a newer PS3, just in case.

An additional note... I"m getting a lot of audible 'dropouts' streaming to my PS3 today. I didn't have that the last time I tried this. I'm wondering if my wimpy computer is at fault, especially considering that I'm trying to surf the web at the same time?

Towen7 said:
Yesfan70 said:

READ THIS

Got it bookmarked.

From what I read in the link above and from your two guys' posts, it sounds like I'm going to be 'forced' to use WMP 11 and going with MP3. That's fine for now as that is MUCH better than nothing at all. I do have a MP3 folder I use for my Jeep's system. I'll give that a go and see what happens.

Thanks for all the help guys, oh, and sorry for the thread jack earlier Towen. ;)

Kazaam said:
....An additional note... I"m getting a lot of audible 'dropouts' streaming to my PS3 today. I didn't have that the last time I tried this. I'm wondering if my wimpy computer is at fault, especially considering that I'm trying to surf the web at the same time?

That might be another issue Kazaam. When I finally got the wireless connection of the bedroom Squeezebox fixed, I was surfing on the web while listening to tunes on it with no problems at all. What kinda of router are you using? Maybe it's more a wireless issue than PC. My PC was built by Dell back around the Dawn of Man, so if mine can run with no dropouts, I would think you should be ok.

That is unless yours was built around the formation of our solar system.

Back