• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Power Sound Audio

So Tom...

Have you ever stated an opinion on one sub versus two? Perhaps an XV30 versus two XV15s?

CMonster said:
So Tom...

Have you ever stated an opinion on one sub versus two? Perhaps an XV30 versus two XV15s?
I would be interested in this topic also.

I'd love nothing more than to see two subs up front in my room, if for no other reason, symmetry. But if there is performance to be gained, all the better. I don't mind some difficulties and the extra time involved in setting up dual subs. I just wouldn't want any more response problems as a result.

Zing said:
CMonster said:
So Tom...

I'd love nothing more than to see two subs up front in my room, if for no other reason, symmetry. But if there is performance to be gained, all the better. I don't mind some difficulties and the extra time involved in setting up dual subs. I just wouldn't want any more response problems as a result.

Two XV30's would be just the ticket, altough you may consider purchaing earth quake insurance.

Rope

CMonster said:
So Tom...

Multiple subwoofers have the POTENTIAL to smooth out the FR at various seating positions but in doing so they are generally "fighting" one another in some fashion. So you have to balance FR with headroom. Imo, these are the two factors which will determine 98% of how a subwoofer will "sound" so this "balance" is quite important. It is very difficult to offer a one size fits all answer to the 1 vs 2 question because of all the factors in play.(room environment, listening preferences, ancillary gear, intended placement, listening habits, ect)

In reference to the specific 2 XV15 versus 1 XV30. I'd almost always lean toward the dual XV15s. Co-located the duals will have a bit more output(2-4dB) and if you separate for better FR you'll still have about the same output capabilities.(and better FR). Plus, so much easier to move around..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Zing said:
CMonster said:
So Tom...

If you go with the "one in each front corner" option....there shouldn't be any significant performance issues. You lose a LITTLE headroom simply because the subs have some distance between them but we're talking 1-2dB in most scenarios. This assumes that the listening positions are more/less centered in the room. If the seating in pushed way toward one wall you may need to experiment a bit with the phasing on each sub just to make sure the bass arrives at the seating in "time" so to speak.(no destructive cancellation)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

>>>Two XV30's would be just the ticket, altough you may consider purchaing earth quake insurance.

Rope<<<

It all depends on the room size, distance to seating, typical listening levels for action oriented DVDs, ect. Dual XV15s are quite the potent combo. We actually have several pre-orders ordering four(4) of the XV15s with the intention to locate them in two "pairs" so their Audyssey will take care of the EQing. This gives them a bit more headroom than the dual XV30s and the ease of movement thing. It does cost about 10% more though. One thing that has changed in the past 3-4 years (imo) is the percentage of HT enthusiasts wanting to spend $2500+...even if something like dual XV15s would be fine for them. I think I've aggravated more than one potential customer by making every attempt to save them money. I guess I have to tell Jim we need to get our next designs to the table asap..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Tee said:
It's great to see you (Tom V) back in the subwoofer game again! I can't wait to hear your new creations, reminds me of the early 2000's when SVS was....you know. :)

Thank you very much! It FEELS that way too.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Hi all,

I'm not sure if anyone here is on the pre-order list but we got the first production run finished today. We missed the fedex pick up time but we'll be shipping out a LOT of boxes tomorrow. We are staying late and getting back here early tomorrow. Anyway, pre order pricing stays up until end of day Monday.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

I'm massively confused by why anyone is even concerned about "1 vs 2" subs.

Cripes, if you ain't doing 4 you're not even in the game! :)

Jeff

Tom V. said:
...I guess I have to tell Jim we need to get our next designs to the table asap..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Do those kind of comments not get everyone else's blood boiling w/ anticipation?

I keep telling myself that a new sub is not in my future, but if the NEXT line of PSA subs hits the market soon, that's going to be hard to take.

John

yromj said:
Tom V. said:
...I guess I have to tell Jim we need to get our next designs to the table asap..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Do those kind of comments not get everyone else's blood boiling w/ anticipation?

I keep telling myself that a new sub is not in my future, but if the NEXT line of PSA subs hits the market soon, that's going to be hard to take.

John

Can I have first dibs on your SVS Monster?

I an seriously considering getting an XV30 in the next month or so. Gotta work out the finances.

mzpro5 said:
I an seriously considering getting an XV30 in the next month or so. Gotta work out the finances.
I am excited for you.........hurry up my friend....remember...you don't have a "boss"--wife---- & kids.....

Batman...have ya'll figured out about getting one of the subs for review & pass-around /review..?

Hey guys, any update on the idea of a "pass the subwoofer"?

Either the XS15 or XV15. One of the forum mods would have to handle the logistics. Each user would need to pay to ship it to the next participate but using our account it would be somewhat reasonable(I'd say $60 on avg). If someone got it and wanted to keep it we could take his/her order and just start over and ship another unit out to the next guy on the list?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Tom V. said:
Hey guys, any update on the idea of a "pass the subwoofer"?

Either the XS15 or XV15. One of the forum mods would have to handle the logistics. Each user would need to pay to ship it to the next participate but using our account it would be somewhat reasonable(I'd say $60 on avg). If someone got it and wanted to keep it we could take his/her order and just start over and ship another unit out to the next guy on the list?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Tom,

Without having to read your marketing material from your website, please list the Pro's and Con's of these models. I see that one is sealed and one is vented, but we would like to hear from you about the Pro's and Con's.

Thanks!

id love to participate, but im stuck in northern california, thus the cost of shipping might jump exponentially. if so, id pass then.

awesome results ive been reading about your new subs Tom, congratulations!

>>>Tom,

Without having to read your marketing material from your website, please list the Pro's and Con's of these models. I see that one is sealed and one is vented, but we would like to hear from you about the Pro's and Con's.

Thanks!<<<

They will sound more alike than different. In most instances I doubt most could pick one from the other in fact. The XS15 will extend a bit deeper---particularly if the room offers reasonable "gain" effect <35hz. (say 2000-2200 cu-ft for example). The XV15 will have the output edge though---especially in the 20-30hz range. So, generally, if the room is small/medium and the output levels needed won't approach "reference"----the XS15 is the way to go. Have a larger room or use higher volume levels occasionally----XV15.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Back