• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Power Sound Audio

Barney said:
CMonster said:
Just ordered - one XV15. :music-rockout:

Oh my Gosh...........can't wait to read your thoughts....How long do you plan on keeping it boxed after you get it ?
You SUCK again... :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:

No one can top Deacon's record, no one.

Rope

Why the f' did I bring this freakin' thing into the house by myself? A couple of pics of the XV-15 next to an SVS PB12-Plus/2:

psa001.jpg

psa002.jpg

Looks as though it will pound out the low frequencies. Have you given it a go?

Rope

Rope said:

Rope

Not yet and I doubt I'll be able to tonight. Slim chance tomorrow as well but hopefully this weekend.

CMonster said:
Rope said:

Rope

Not yet and I doubt I'll be able to tonight. Slim chance tomorrow as well but hopefully this weekend.

Where the hell are your priorities? :happy-smileygiantred:

Rope

XV-15 at 92 lbs should be a piece of cake for a strong young guy like you! :happy-smileygiantred:

heeman said:
XV-15 at 92 lbs should be a piece of cake for a strong young guy like you! :happy-smileygiantred:

We did meet, right? I'm soft and lumpy from all the time spent in my cage, er, cubicle...

CMonster said:
heeman said:

We did meet, right? I'm soft and lumpy from all the time spent in my cage, er, cubicle...
But I bet you have been eating your spinach !!!!

CMonster said:
heeman said:

It must have been the hair style (mowhawk) that threw me off......

I thought there may have been an issue with the PSA. I have it sitting on top of my SVS and I've been switching the cable and power cord back and forth between the two. Anyway, the gain knob on the SVS is at the 10:00 position and I set the PSA's knob at 12:00. What measured perfectly for the SVS on my Radio Shack meter didn't even register with the PSA when playing the Marantz test tones. I assumed something was wrong and sent a PM to Tom on the AVS Forum message board. He replied right away with the following:
No worries at all Chuck. We may increase the sensitivity of the gain knob in our next DSP coding upgrade as you are not the first to show a bit of concern about the settings needed for proper calibration.

Just remember, the gain setting has *nothing* to do with the amplifier's capabilities. In fact, for a modern powered subwoofer to reproduce the 75dB calibration tone you will likely only need a fraction of one watt!

I bumped up the PSA gain knob to the 2:00 position and it measures out perfectly on the Rat Shack meter. Unfortunately it's too late to give it a good demo but hopefully tomorrow I can give it a run.

Anyway, Tom has definitely shown that customer service is a top priority and for that I am grateful.

Thoust doth sucketh!!!

Pop is some music and relax, then throw in some War Horse (for of those you who don't know - that movie has crazy bass) and enjoy.

John

yromj said:
Thoust doth sucketh!!!

Pop is some music and relax, then throw in some War Horse (for of those you who don't know - that movie has crazy bass) and enjoy.

John

Talk about.....Pop music....talk about.....

Sorry....that typo made go back in time for a moment.

Hi Tom V. i own an SVS PB13 Ultra am extremely happy with the product would love to own a second one, i purchased it about three years ago, i was not aware you were at SVS at one point in time, but is SVS going not a good buy any longer, i am extremely happy with the product, according to what i am reading here about SVS, their product is not like what it use to be? i am extremely disapointed about that. and now this thread is supporting your product and no longer SVS, now i don't really know what to believe. please enlighten me about SVS.

Thanks

Gerry

Here's my view Sailor. Most people on this site really supported SVS during their startup and early years of running their business. They were solid price:performance ratio and a really good company with great customer service. A huge part of that business was Tom V (the "V" is SVS). He was the chief designer and was always open to answer questions or help solve problems. As he left SVS, there was a noticeable change in how they performed business, and although a fine company, their marketing has taken a turn that doesn't sit well with many here.

Overall, SVS continues to produce a great subwoofer. However, their price:perfomrance ratio is no longer as solid as it once was, and better performance for the money can be had elsewhere.

We're all "fans" of Tom V. for the work he did at SVS, so that's the main reason for the excitement around his new company......and we're all anxious to see if the Price:performance ratio with Power Sound Audio is back to the killer ratio it once was with SVS.

My 2 cents.

jamhead said:
Here's my view Sailor. Most people on this site really supported SVS during their startup and early years of running their business. They were solid price:performance ratio and a really good company with great customer service. A huge part of that business was Tom V (the "V" is SVS). He was the chief designer and was always open to answer questions or help solve problems. As he left SVS, there was a noticeable change in how they performed business, and although a fine company, their marketing has taken a turn that doesn't sit well with many here.

Overall, SVS continues to produce a great subwoofer. However, their price:perfomrance ratio is no longer as solid as it once was, and better performance for the money can be had elsewhere.

We're all "fans" of Tom V. for the work he did at SVS, so that's the main reason for the excitement around his new company......and we're all anxious to see if the Price:performance ratio with Power Sound Audio is back to the killer ratio it once was with SVS.

My 2 cents.

Thanks a lot Jamhead, i was not aware with the situation at SVS, although i have not visited this site in a while, sorry guys, but am retired now doing a lot of retire stuff including playing with my audio system. i will be purchasing another sub similar to the PB13 Ultra, but this time i am seriously looking at REL Accoustic. will see, i am looking forward to see the review of Power Sound made Subs.

some of the key reasons Tom V made exodus from SVS was marketing and service differences.

Rope

Salor, before you buy any sub.....just email/call Power Sound Audio & talk to them. Tom V & anyone else there will be honest with you, heck he may tell you to keep what you have & give you pointers. Tom has always been honest. If he has time, he'll give you suggestions for another manufacture or a DIY project.
I do suggest that you email your questions & give him what size of room, what sub you now have (where its located in the room) type of gear & speakers...what you watch/listen (movies vs music) & at what spl level to you like, etc.
They will respond.

Thanks Barney, i will certainly purchase another sub in a very near future, i will be looking at the reviews very closely, hopefully the shipping cost to Canada won't be attrocious including duties. SVS had parent company in Canada called Sonic Boom the price differential was not overwhelming. i will get in contact with him for sure. but like i said i will not rush into it.

Sailor said:
Hi Tom V. i own an SVS PB13 Ultra am extremely happy with the product would love to own a second one, i purchased it about three years ago, i was not aware you were at SVS at one point in time, but is SVS going not a good buy any longer, i am extremely happy with the product, according to what i am reading here about SVS, their product is not like what it use to be? i am extremely disapointed about that. and now this thread is supporting your product and no longer SVS, now i don't really know what to believe. please enlighten me about SVS.

Thanks

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

The PB13u was the last product I "signed off" on along with Jim Farina (and the entire driver was Steve Ponte except the frame which was 99% Jim) so as long as they didn't "de-content" it too much...it should still be a beast. If you decided to add a second one I doubt you would be disappointed although there is definitely an argument to be made that there are better choices int he same price range now too.(Seaton for example).

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Some companies will focus the majority of their assets (money , talent) on engineering. You'll see very little banners/ads and their website will be functional but not 1000 pages of "glitzy" stuff. The idea is, the product(s) are so good....they will sell themselves through the oldest advertising function known...word of mouth.

Other companies will do quite the opposite.

If possible, try to compare like priced products from different companies(either in your own room or at a GTG). Then you can decide which of the above paths tend to produce the higher quality product..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Back