• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Power Sound Audio

When you lay down your hard earned cash, are you buying research, testing and engineering, or advertising and glitz?(Monster/Bose)

Rope

Weakest link in my system has always been my sub (old 15" cerwin vega), if I decided to blow some cash on a new sub would there be a NOTICABLE difference? My sub goes pretty damn low and can shake the floors when called upon to do so.

Sailor said:
Thanks Barney, i will certainly purchase another sub in a very near future, i will be looking at the reviews very closely, hopefully the shipping cost to Canada won't be attrocious including duties. SVS had parent company in Canada called Sonic Boom the price differential was not overwhelming. i will get in contact with him for sure. but like i said i will not rush into it.
Sailor,

Sonic Boom is an SVS distributor. I bought my PB13 Ultra from them. Super company to deal with.

When I later bought a used SVS sub that required some parts to get it back into like-new condition, SVS and Sonic Boom came to the rescue. Happy customer X2.

If I were looking for yet another sub (even I gotta admit that's a very low likelihood! :) ) I would still look at SVS (and the PB13 Ultra), but I would look at a lot of others as well. I have no problem mixing and matching brands / models in a multi-sub set-up. It just takes a lot more care / effort to get it right.

Jeff

walls said:
Weakest link in my system has always been my sub (old 15" cerwin vega), if I decided to blow some cash on a new sub would there be a NOTICABLE difference? My sub goes pretty damn low and can shake the floors when called upon to do so.
I'm inclined to say HELL YEAH! But, as always, it will be largely dependent on its location in your room. A less-than-stellar subwoofer in an ideal location will perform better than a stellar subwoofer in a bad location.

walls said:

The red part tells me that your sub is doing at least 1/2 of its job pretty well. What about the other 1/2, though? Does it disappear into the mains w/ music? Does it sound as detailed as your mains? THAT'S what separates good subs from great ones, IMHO. I would bet lunch w/ a beer that the SVS PB-13U would give you a NOTICEABLE difference over the CV.

John

JeffMackwood said:
...I would still look at SVS (and the PB13 Ultra)...

yromj said:
...I would bet lunch w/ a beer that the SVS PB-13U would give you a NOTICEABLE difference over the CV.
I'd bet a bigger lunch and more beer that Power Sound Audio would appreciate suggesting and recommending their subs instead of a competitor's, especially in this thread.

I never use my sub when listening to music so thats not a deal breaker for me. My sub has been placed in about four different locations in my room and where it sits now it seems as though it is less "boomy" then the other locations.

Anyone have a good "loner" sub? LOL!

Zing said:
JeffMackwood said:
...I would still look at SVS (and the PB13 Ultra)...

yromj said:
...I would bet lunch w/ a beer that the SVS PB-13U would give you a NOTICEABLE difference over the CV.
I'd bet a bigger lunch and more beer that Power Sound Audio would appreciate suggesting and recommending their subs instead of a competitor's, especially in this thread.
Zing,

Your clipped quote from my post left off the most important part, namely that "...I would look at a lot of others as well."

I was not saying to the exclusion of all others - in fact the exact opposite.

I have no problem recommending PSA products as well, except that it comes with no cred since I've never seen nor heard any of them yet. I own the SVS, and have heard it in other environments as well. I specifically did not mention any other brands, even though there are many that I have heard and owned that I could have.

My aim was simply to provide advice to a fellow Canuck and SVS owner.

Jeff

ps. Do we know if PSA has an authorized Canadian distributor who can also handle warranty / repairs, yet? Trust me when I say that buying direct from a US online retailer and shipping into Canada can be a daunting / expensive / frustrating proposition from purchase and over the life of the product. Pity the poor purchaser who has to ship something back for repairs!

walls said:
Anyone have a good "loner" sub? LOL!
Lemme do a quick roll call of all the subs in my house:

One...two, three...four, five, six, seven...eight, nine...ten.

Nope; they're all in use. :)

walls said:
I never use my sub when listening to music so thats not a deal breaker for me. My sub has been placed in about four different locations in my room and where it sits now it seems as though it is less "boomy" then the other locations.

If all you use the sub for is LFE rumble than I'm not sure that you need a world-class sub.

Jeff...Zing...is there really a difference? :teasing-tease:

Sorry to both, yes I meant Zing.

John

yromj said:

John
Two very cool guys. Great taste in wine, women, song, clothes, etc. Pretty much interchangeable - I'd say! :)

JeffMackwood said:
yromj said:

John
Two very cool guys. Great taste in wine, women, song, clothes, etc. Pretty much interchangeable - I'd say! :)
HA! I agree, except for one teensy weensy little detail...ME. You're 6'-2" and I'm only 5'-7. Otherwise, yeah, like we were separated at birth.

Zing said:
JeffMackwood said:
yromj said:

John
HA! I agree, except for one teensy weensy little detail...ME. You're 6'-2" and I'm only 5'-7. Otherwise, yeah, like we were separated at birth.
I was going to include units of measure, but sober second thought prevailed!

I was going to instead refer to pop culture to draw the comparison; maybe mention the movie Twins for example ("separated at birth").

Afterall Arnold and Danny hits pretty close to home - don't it!?

:)

Zing said:
HA! I agree, except for one teensy weensy little detail...ME. You're 6'-2" and I'm only 5'-7.

Meh. Potato/potahtoe... :eek:bscene-buttred:

Botch said:
Zing said:
HA! I agree, except for one teensy weensy little detail...ME. You're 6'-2" and I'm only 5'-7.

Meh. Potato/potahtoe... :eek:bscene-buttred:
Says the guy who removes the driver's seat and sits in the back seat to drive his car.

No worries about recommending different brands when it seems appropriate guys. Power Sound Audio isn't the best option for every scenario out there...yet...:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Tom V. said:
No worries about recommending different brands when it seems appropriate guys. Power Sound Audio isn't the best option for every scenario out there...yet...:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Tom,

Hope you don't mind me asking but, do you (and if not, will you / do you hope to) have a Canadian distributor / service centre?

Jeff

Back